Opera Mini 5 Beta is out.

Search the market for Opera Mini 5 and you will probably be taken to a programme called Opera Mini 5 Beta.

It's very quick, much quicker than HTC's browser and Dolphin too.

No multitouch and I'm not sure about the zoom controls or the scrolling speed but it is a Beta so perhaps those will change. I'm gonna trial it for a few days and see how I get on with it. Worth a go.

Guest pulser
Ditto <_<

No one had access to a sample phone with opera mobile that they could dump yet? Surely there must be a phone coming on the market with it oem installed? Then a dump and port should be trivial :-)

Guest paulsmith

The benefits of opera mini over stock browser / dolphin are page sizes.

Just in case you dont know - opera mini does all the heavy work through the opera servers and sends the phone a much smaller page for example with reduced quality smaller images

V good for slow mobile connections (ie GPRS)

The disadvantage is of course any info you send goes via opera serves - so I wouldn't trust it with your bank details / other sensitive info.

I like V5 so far - v4 was horrible.

Guest Arthur Hucksake

I used it for awhile but not a fan, it's like the screen becomes overly sensitive and just scrolling down it seems to slide at an angle. I like my flick scrolling (think thats what its called) , it's like it gets stuck to your finger or something.

The default Hero browser with it's pinch zoom is actually pretty impressive.

Guest Dr. dre

Personally I think the stock browser is better, I don't know about others but I had a very laggy experience with opera mini the scrolling was very laggy.

So got back to the Stock browser.

Guest osigas

I'm sticking with stock myself, from what I've read the stock browser should sync bookmarks with your Google (Chrome) bookmarks in 2.1. That outright wins hands down over small speed improvements.

Opera mini 5 is great, fast browsing, and with swype, it's more than useful to keep up to date and reply to posts on forums. <_<

Yeah, it's too quick to be dismissed IMO, it can grab web pages so quickly that I can use it on the train where signal is normally so patchy that I can't get the stock browser to do anything for a five minute portion of my journey. I think that alone is reason enough to keep it.

Guest Stea1thmode
Is it possible to set Opera Mini (other browser are available!) as the default browser?

I dont have my Hero with me but as far as I can remenber, I think you need to go to settings,applications then select the stock browser ( cant remember what its called) then select clear defaults. The next time you open up browser it should give you an option to select a default browser.

I'd noticed that Opera wasn't an option when opening links. Sadly, I don't think it's recognised as a browser by the system.

I just cleared my browser defaults and tried a link from Twidroid Pro and it just opened the browser anyway.

In other news, Opera is totally the best browser for me. It might not have all the features that other browsers have but it's SO much quicker that I can't see me going back now, I'm just not prepared to wait as long as the default demands anymore.

Edited by Guest