MoDaCo Online Kitchen - Custom Ingredients

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest salahag

So I believe if the application path is set to /data/app then it's installed on the SD card (A2SD), correct?

When is it prefered to install on /system/app?

• 4 weeks later...
Guest naguz

I just bought AdFree, as I had planned to do when you managed to root the Desire, although access to the kitchen was a nice kick in the behind.

Now i want to add wavesecure to the Desire ROM, so that it is not removed by wiping the phonefrom the recovery image, and thus thief-proofing the device also for people with an IQ over 75 that has ever had an Android phone in their hands.

Question is: Will simply adding a .zip with /data/appWS_25_3.1.0.2.apk inside be enough? The programs DO need to start automaticly at boot, but I have no idea how Android handles autostarting. I'd also take a wild guess and say that i needs some data-files, although I cant say that for sure - I am able to add those without any problems if needed, but I'm then worried that there might be an pak UID mismatch between the app and the data folder.Is that a valid concern?

edit: Haha, i saw NOW that wavesecure was an option in the kitchen. xD ill wavesecure automaticly recognize my phone then, so no further files are needed?

Edited by naguz

• 2 weeks later...
Guest j.blaze

Hi Guys,

Lets say I want a clean ROM. That means only the online Kitchen ROM without any additional Apps. Do I just have to create an empty folder for example DesireROM.zip?

Guest j.blaze

sorry for doublepost!

For example: Lets say I want to have the App drocap2 integrated in the ROM (in the /system part). Over the market it's installed in /data/app. Do I have to copy the file "com.gmail.nagamatu.drocap2.apk" from /data/app and copy it into my folder unter system/app? Is that enough or do I have to rename it in drocap2.apk?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest MoWeb

I baked a ROM with some programs I'd like to add but they are not installed. I have a single zip called App.zip. Inside the zip is:

/Data/App/Program1.apk

/Data/App/Program2.apk

/System/App/Program3.apk

Where is my mistake, If anyone knows.

Thanks,

MoWeb

Guest Richard K. Szabo

Good job! The Custom Ingredients sure is welcomed :)

I'm curious, how is this .zip signed? When I added my additions after a bake the upgrade would fail and I had to make my additions manually. Or, is it that simple that re-packing afterwards require STORE to .zip and not compress?

RealCalc should replace the bundled calculator.

Edited by Richard K. Szabo

Guest Skywrit3r
I baked a ROM with some programs I'd like to add but they are not installed. I have a single zip called App.zip. Inside the zip is:

/Data/App/Program1.apk

/Data/App/Program2.apk

/System/App/Program3.apk

Where is my mistake, If anyone knows.

Thanks,

MoWeb

Maybe the capital letters?

Just came to read this thread, very interesting approach for individual customization.

As some users would like not only to add but also remove files, there should be an

easy way for us users as well as for Paul to implement it.

How about this approach:

On our local system (PC, MAC, Linux Machine) we could prepare the following

file structure:

/add/system/app/RealCalc.apk

/add/system/app/RealCalc.odex

/remove/system/app/Calculator.apk

/remove/system/app/Calculator.odex

There could be 3 ways to tell Paul, what changes we like.

Solution 1:

Put all files in a MyMods.zip

+ easy

- filesize could be bigger than 10MB

Solution 2:

Prepare two files, a add.zip and a remove.zip

+ easy as well

- two files, total transfer more than 10MB

Solution 3:

Dump the filestructure of the /remove/ directory in a remove.txt file

and add it to the MyMod.zip. The content then would be the following:

/system/app/RealCalc.apk

/system/app/RealCalc.odex

remove.txt

The content of the remove.txt could look like this as an example:

/system/app/Calculator.apk

/system/app/Calculator.odex

Paul then needs to apply the removes first and add the files as he does it

already ...

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Hammerhand

Hi, I have two questions:

1. What's the difference between /system/apps/ and data/apps? Where should I add my apps?

2. Will the apps that I include in the zip be upgradeable?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest MooMooz

Hey Paul. The custom ingredients is pretty useful, but I do have a question.

Lets say I want to customize the "default.xml" in the "/system/customize/mns/" folder, and replicated the structure and zipped the file.

When I bake the rom with that file uploaded, I noticed that the baked rom, now has 2 of the exact same file in that folder, instead of replacing/overwriting. Is it supposed to work like that? If not, would it be possible to do an overwrite when file already exists?

Thanks!

Edited by MooMooz

Guest katun79

Hi Paul, GREAT JOB!!

I'll try in the afternoon...

Just a tip... add Brut Google map as option, It's very useful application, and It's quite big...

I'll love also "handcent sms", "acontacts", "Astro file manager" and "callfilter2", but these are my personal opinion.

We can make an online survey to know which are the best applications to add to your online kitchen.

Many thanks.

Tommaso

• 2 weeks later...
Guest vfrvulcan

This is a fantastic idea, thanks Paul, but try as I might, I just can't get this to work.

I thought I'd do a custom R6 Desire ROM with a couple of extras installed. I tried including a few useful apps (Astro/ROM Manager/Dropbox) and put them in the system/app folder or data/app. Also tried including a couple of mods (Circle Battery & Bluetooth). Put Circle Battery's framework-res in the framework folder and the Bluetooth mod in etc/bluetooth.

When the ROM is baked I can open it up and see that everyhting is in the right place but if I flash with either the Battery or Bluetooth mods in there I get constant reboots at the bootanim stage (HTC Quietly Brillant). The only way to recover from this is to go to recovery and do a Nandroid restore.

In the process of trying to figure out why this was happening I moved the apps to data instead of system and eventually got rid of the mods. So now I flash with just the apps in data/apps. The flash goes OK and the phone boots but those apps are not installed :(

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong please?

For info, this is the content of my zip file...

system/app/ASTRO 2.5.2.apk
system/app/astro-smb.apk
system/app/Barcode Scanner 3.31.apk
system/app/Dropbox 0.9.8.6.apk
system/app/ROM Manager 2.0.0.7.apk
system/etc/bluetooth/audio.conf
system/framework/framework-res.apk
[/codebox]

TIA

Aaron

[Edit] Re-posted in the r6 thread as there appears to be no life in here.

Edited by vfrvulcan

Guest Von Ropen

Hello, this is the first Time I try this so I would like to ask first...

I would like to add some ringtones the the rom I bake... so if I create a zip with this folders The ringtones would be added to the baked rom???

system/media/audio/ringtones/paradise_Island.ogg

or this only work with apps...

Thanks and reagards

Guest tigris666

Could there be a way to use custom update.zip to set the default emergency phone number? Every post i've read regarding setting this number results in someone answering with the less than helpful "just edit it in the ROM and resign it, pretty simple"... people have different definitions of simple. I wouldn't know how to sign a ROM.

Guest Arty Marty

I am not sure what files would be needed etc - I want to add MyBackupPro to the image (as I have already paid for it so dont want to use titanium backup)

any ideas or pointers as to what files would be needed and the structure etc?

Help greatly appreciated...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest afiorillo

I'm trying to bake a r8 Desire ROM with a 9,904,495 bytes ZIP file named 'data.zip' containing /data/app/[a_bunch_of_apks]. When I click "BAKE" and I've waited for the file upload to be completed, I get an error.

What's wrong with it? The ZIP file was created using WinRAR in normal ZIP mode. Thank you!

Edited by afiorillo

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Bruce Huang

Dear all,

I have installed the new ROM (r24 WIP), but the new ROM doesn't include HTC_IME with international keyboard (especially for Chinese input).

Can anyone please teach me how to make a zip file for the IME included in r23 so that I can bake my own ROM?

With Regards,

Bruce

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks,

I sure hope this question hasn't been asked before - a quick search didn't come up with anything.

If I exclude both Launcher2 and Sense can I include a LauncherPro apk in a custom baked r9 ROM? If so, what folder structure does it go under? I'm a complete newbie at this...

Thanks,

Dany.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi folks,

I sure hope this question hasn't been asked before - a quick search didn't come up with anything.

If I exclude both Launcher2 and Sense can I include a LauncherPro apk in a custom baked r9 ROM? If so, what folder structure does it go under? I'm a complete newbie at this...

Thanks,

Dany.

I'm also asking a similar question actually - I'd like to include ADW Launcher System version in the system partition and take out the stock Android Launcher and the launcher included with the San Francisco r4 release. I've tried creating the folder structure and zipping that up, but it didn't work. Any ideas anyone? Any suggestions warmly appreciated :P

• 3 weeks later...

Just a thought, would it be possible after you have customised your Android phone by adding the apps you want and removing the apps you don't need. Could you then dump the system/data and roll this into a rom image for future installs.

• 1 month later...
Guest Lasse-hatten

I would like to try the Kitchen with Custom Ingredients, but I don't know were my apps are... That is: where in the directory structure are the apps I have installed from the Market? I can´t find them on my phone. And, as someone else asked, what is the difference between /system/apps and /data/apps (my /data is completely empty, not even an /apps)?