ChompSMS Donation

Guest emotiveicon

Guest emotiveicon

Hi guys - I was wondering if I could poll you for some opinions.

I've been using ChompSMS for a while now and just recently it's updated to v3.2 which puts ads in the top of your inbox: v. annoying. I decided to upgrade to the paid version but noticed that there wasn't one in the Android Market. Instead you have to 'donate' via Paypal to unlock the ad-free version. This payment is made outside of the Google Market and I'm wondering how the 'purchase' will be secured against my account details. What happens if I flash a new ROM? If I have to download the app from the market again, will I have to pay another £1.75 'donation'?

I've done some research on the Android website and the practice of taking external payments for apps distributed through the Market seems to break Google's rules... :)

Has anyone else used ChompSMS and donated for the ad-free version? Will the ad-free survive a factory wipe/flashed ROM? I'd appreciate your experiences and opinions on this practice!

Guest bobbyphoenix

I use it, and I donated. I don't know about flashing ROM, but after you donate, the adds are gone. If they release an update the ads come back, but only until you click on the "Hate ads? Donate" button, and then they go away again (and no you don't donate more money. your email/account is remembered, so after you click it you get "Thanks for donating. Ads will not appear anymore on this device". I didn't know that, and when I updated, the ads came back, and I was so mad, but I emailed the Devs and they responded with the solution the same day. I trust this app, and recommend donating since it really is great. Like the previous post says they can't sell them in the market because Google doesn't allow their country to do so, so donating is the only way for now. I don't mind paying/donating for an app that keeps improving.

Edited by bobbyphoenix

• 1 month later...
Guest evanhindra
I use it, and I donated. I don't know about flashing ROM, but after you donate, the adds are gone. If they release an update the ads come back, but only until you click on the "Hate ads? Donate" button, and then they go away again (and no you don't donate more money. your email/account is remembered, so after you click it you get "Thanks for donating. Ads will not appear anymore on this device". I didn't know that, and when I updated, the ads came back, and I was so mad, but I emailed the Devs and they responded with the solution the same day. I trust this app, and recommend donating since it really is great. Like the previous post says they can't sell them in the market because Google doesn't allow their country to do so, so donating is the only way for now. I don't mind paying/donating for an app that keeps improving.

I agree. Martin & his team are great people. They really listen to their customers. They respond to emails quickly! Usually within 24hr. Great support & after sale.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...