47 replies to this topic

Bouvrie

Bouvrie

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Devices:HTC 3300
You could alternatively also add some applications like AEBPlus to take care of the (lack of) buttons on the Omnia. With AEBPlus you can attach multiple functions to the buttons, depending on whether you press them once, twice, thrice or keep the button pressed.

Would be handy, being able to fast forward/reverse, volume up/down, navigate, toggle audio/subtitle streams, playlist, etc. Not to mention toggle wifi/bluetooth/screen and the likes. ;)

cerberez

cerberez

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Devices:omnia i910
This project also shows tremendous promise for people looking for an awesome ipod-touch-like device... you could pick up an old omnia for 60 bucks on ebay, flash ron storm's awesome rom, and have an mp3 player/wifi/gps/camera device for a great price.

Me, I'm seriously starting to think I can't afford 30 bucks a month. As much as it pains me, I might go back to carrying 2 devices - a tricked-out omnia for taking pictures and doing calendar stuff (will wired Activesync or wireless through wifi work on your ROM?) and a dumbphone.

Maver

Maver

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Devices:Omnia
well isn't there apps you can use to turn off your data part of the phone? (or disable it by breaking one of the files it needs for cdma data?) could always flash back to fix it. that way you only have to carry around 1 device. (i have the extended battery on my omnia so it's huge and the thought of carrying around another phone kills me)

nmayer79

nmayer79

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Devices:Incredible

well isn't there apps you can use to turn off your data part of the phone? (or disable it by breaking one of the files it needs for cdma data?) could always flash back to fix it. that way you only have to carry around 1 device. (i have the extended battery on my omnia so it's huge and the thought of carrying around another phone kills me)

Am loving the idea of this project. Has anyone used this rom yet? Thoughts? Comments?
Gonna try to keep giving this thread a bump......

Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed

WhoTheHellAmI

WhoTheHellAmI

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Devices:HTC Incredible, Omnia 2 (VZW)
i'm getting ready to download it now...will post a review as soon as i try it out. (School network sucks so im downloading it through my new Omnia2, still wishing the ANDROMNiA project was a little further along, by the time they get something figured out, nobody will have an omnia left on verizon's network.)

edit1: download is about a third of the way done. the suspense is building xD

edit2: download complete. preparing to flash

edit3: it hangs at the screen with the (WinPhone7 logo and Welcome) it also shows the data connection icon (arrows left and right) with an x showing no connection, as well as the cellular icon...i guess i'll try reflashing, then try ANDROMNiA if that doesn't work. i have no need for the phone functions anyway

Edited by WhoTheHellAmI, 10 May 2010 - 02:43 PM.

Computer (n) - A machine designed to generate and duplicate errors.

nmayer79

nmayer79

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

i'm getting ready to download it now...will post a review as soon as i try it out. (School network sucks so im downloading it through my new Omnia2, still wishing the ANDROMNiA project was a little further along, by the time they get something figured out, nobody will have an omnia left on verizon's network.)

edit1: download is about a third of the way done. the suspense is building xD

edit2: download complete. preparing to flash

edit3: it hangs at the screen with the (WinPhone7 logo and Welcome) it also shows the data connection icon (arrows left and right) with an x showing no connection, as well as the cellular icon...i guess i'll try reflashing, then try ANDROMNiA if that doesn't work. i have no need for the phone functions anyway

did you try to tap the top taskbar, same as if you flash any custom rom??

nmayer79

nmayer79

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

bump

03civicsi

03civicsi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Devices:HTC Incredible (ADR6300)

bump

I sold my omnia to a friend in need of a phone... but are you trying to flash this onto a DC22 base? cause this thread is from CF03... not sure if you knew that since dc22 came out about 2 weeks after this thread was posted

golfer

golfer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Devices:samsung omnia
  • Twitter:@none

Here is the first Omnia Non Phone ROM!

Please give as much feedback as you can. Version 0.90.

Non Phone 23549

Has anyone gotten GPS to work?

prodmage

prodmage

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Devices:Motorola Q
Just wondering if this post was dead. I like the idea of not letting my omnia go to waste when my contract is up....

techfellow

techfellow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Devices:Omnia i-910 vzw

I sold my omnia to a friend in need of a phone... but are you trying to flash this onto a DC22 base? cause this thread is from CF03... not sure if you knew that since dc22 came out about 2 weeks after this thread was posted

So is this DC22 friendly

Maver

Maver

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
I'm interested in this project too, I might be getting a droid soon, and was thinking about keeping this guy in my car for GPS and music

blitzprime

blitzprime

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Devices:HTC Wizard, HTC Typhoon
I just found my old omnia and im interested in this project anyone made a new rom for it?

WhoTheHellAmI

WhoTheHellAmI

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Devices:HTC Incredible, Omnia 2 (VZW)

Never realized the tap was necessary...some of the older custom roms didn't have that issue. It appears to be up and running without the phone packages now. If you need me to test anything, let me know. First thing I will do is put TomTom on it and test that. I will let you know if GPS is working without the "Location ON" setting. (Not very optimistic about it with my experience with the setting in the past.)

Edit1: Tested List
--------------------
Working:
Everything, except as noted below.

Not Working:
Nothing yet

Missing:
Camera (Was this removed out of necessity?)
GPS
Location Setting

Not Tested:
Bluetooth
--------------------

Edit2: As noted above, the Camera program is not included, and the GPS drivers appear to be broken as well. After setting up the GPS in TomTom, it says "No GPS device!"

Edited by WhoTheHellAmI, 17 June 2010 - 08:31 AM.

Computer (n) - A machine designed to generate and duplicate errors.

golfer

golfer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Devices:samsung omnia
  • Twitter:@none

Never realized the tap was necessary...some of the older custom roms didn't have that issue. It appears to be up and running without the phone packages now. If you need me to test anything, let me know. First thing I will do is put TomTom on it and test that. I will let you know if GPS is working without the "Location ON" setting. (Not very optimistic about it with my experience with the setting in the past.)

Edit1: Tested List
--------------------
Working:
Everything, except as noted below.

Not Working:
Nothing yet

Missing:
Camera (Was this removed out of necessity?)
GPS
Location Setting

Not Tested:
Bluetooth
--------------------

Edit2: As noted above, the Camera program is not included, and the GPS drivers appear to be broken as well. After setting up the GPS in TomTom, it says "No GPS device!"

I am glad someone is looking into this ROM

Edited by golfer, 19 June 2010 - 04:27 AM.

peperonikiller

peperonikiller

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • Devices:Omnia i910, Moto Q9C
  • Twitter:@peperonikiller
I dont think GPS will work without a contract on the phone, at least for a while when my service was off, GPS would NOT work at all!

Join my Facebook group HERE
Posted Image

Maver

Maver

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
He's got a point, while the GPS is a whole separate system, when the phone part is off i haven't gotten a gps signal, someone should check.

maryvmcclain

maryvmcclain

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Devices:Samsung Omnia i910
I too have upgraded and want to give this phone to my husband who doesn't even own an MP3 player at this point. I have the DC22 (most recent Verizon Rom) so I think I can't use this?

I REALLY want to try this but have never done any custom ROM flashes. All I want is exactly what I think people are asking for here here... Wifi (with browser) GPS, Music (preferably better than the Touch Player), Video Player and CAMERA... Maybe messaging/calander (but we use gmail). The basic functionality of an ITouch, preserving memory for video and music. I can't tell from this post if that's what we've got here? Can I go back to the prior standard ROM if I try this?

It really drives me crazy that I can't remove programs I don't want... ShoZu, Touch Player, OFFICE etc. I am grateful to you guys who volunteer to fix what should have been a utility included in the original.

Thanks in advance.

skoda60

skoda60

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts
  • Devices:S

--------------------

Omnia GPS worked only phone mode on with and without the SIM card. In frieght mode, GPS will not worked.

Samsung Omnia2 with my own lite i8000NXXJJ1 wm6.5 by using twu2 script
Samsung Galaxy S2 Gary XWKI8 and DXKI2 ROM.
Worked great for me.

nighthawkx28

nighthawkx28

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Devices:Omnia i910
I'm going to try this out, but I'll have to flash right back to a regular ROM because I'm still using my omnia as a phone :lol: . I'll put up some screen shots later today.

EDIT: I don't think it worked completely for me. I flashed to it and got to the today screen. The only thing on the today screen was the date (maybe this was intended). But it got rid of any skipping, freezing, etc when listening to music. So it works as a media device. I fooled around with the settings and some how 'semi bricked' my omnia, the only thing I can do is tap the top bar and get to the wireless manager, but none of the buttons work. I'm flashing back to another rom FOR NOW. I'll try this again later and hopefully get some screens up by tomorrow.

Edited by nighthawkx28, 25 June 2010 - 08:12 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users