StuMcBill

StuMcBill

Diehard

• MoDaCo Gold
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • Devices:Samsung Galaxy Nexus
**This is all assuming that a ROOT becomes available for the HTC Desire**

I plan on getting a HTC Desire probably on O2-UK and I wondered, if it comes with Network Branded firmware, would a Root of this device allow the Network Branding to be removed?

For example, if the Device comes with a crippled O2 firmware, would I be able to Root, install a custom recovery (Amon_Ra for example), do a Nandroid Backup of the O2 firmware (in case I needed to send it back), and then install a "fresh" HTC firmware?

Would the original recovery be able to be extracted from the phone first (again in case of the need to return), and re-flashed at a later date?

I apologise if these are silly questions as I am totally new to the Android Experience.

Thanks

StuMcBill

Samsung Galaxy Nexus : MoDaCo Custom Rom

Dr. dre

Dr. dre

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • Devices:HTC Sensation XE, Nexus 7

Would a Root of this device allow the Network Branding to be removed?

For example, if the Device comes with a crippled O2 firmware, would I be able to Root, install a custom recovery (Amon_Ra for example), do a Nandroid Backup of the O2 firmware (in case I needed to send it back), and then install a "fresh" HTC firmware?

Would the original recovery be able to be extracted from the phone first (again in case of the need to return), and re-flashed at a later date?

Till now there is no root available for the Desire, but I'm sure many guys are working on that and they will make a way to root Desire and Yes! you will be able to do a Nandroid Backup, But I'm sure there will be a RUU available for the O2 firmware.

AND YES

Congratulations for your new phone :)

StuMcBill

StuMcBill

Diehard

• MoDaCo Gold
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • Devices:Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Till now there is no root available for the Desire, but I'm sure many guys are working on that and they will make a way to root Desire and Yes! you will be able to do a Nandroid Backup, But I'm sure there will be a RUU available for the O2 firmware.

AND YES

Congratulations for your new phone :)

I apologise for my ignorance, but what does RUU mean?

Thanks

Stu

PS Not a new phone yet, but should hopefully have it at the end of April!

Samsung Galaxy Nexus : MoDaCo Custom Rom

Dr. dre

Dr. dre

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • Devices:HTC Sensation XE, Nexus 7

I apologise for my ignorance, but what does RUU mean?

Thanks

Stu

PS Not a new phone yet, but should hopefully have it at the end of April!

RUU (ROM Update Utility) is an official HTC ROM upgrade.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users