Flashing ROMs- Backup up Stock ROM

Guest Bryan W.

Guest Bryan W.

Hello,

First post here. Been reading up on things, this is a great forum.

I have a question, perhaps my question was already answered, but I could not find it.

I want to flash some of these roms poeple have made, but I want to have a backup before I do. How do I create, or have a way to go back to stock if I choose?

As a secondary questions:

Do any of these roms, like Ninaj or AMD or Yardi, actually increase the responseivness of the omnia interface?

If I flashed any of these roms, does any1 know any bugs or annoyances I should be aware of? The review on 2/14 is out of date I think.

I really appreciate the time you take to answer these things!

Many Thanks,

Bryan

Guest levytv
Hello,

First post here. Been reading up on things, this is a great forum.

I have a question, perhaps my question was already answered, but I could not find it.

I want to flash some of these roms poeple have made, but I want to have a backup before I do. How do I create, or have a way to go back to stock if I choose?

As a secondary questions:

Do any of these roms, like Ninaj or AMD or Yardi, actually increase the responseivness of the omnia interface?

If I flashed any of these roms, does any1 know any bugs or annoyances I should be aware of? The review on 2/14 is out of date I think.

I really appreciate the time you take to answer these things!

Many Thanks,

Bryan

there is a posting on this forum by wozzer that contains the stock 21863 verizon rom. that is what i use as a backup.

Guest Bryan W.
there is a posting on this forum by wozzer that contains the stock 21863 verizon rom. that is what i use as a backup.

Great I found it! Thanks!

And this file is flashable using OCTANS?

Bryan

Guest levytv

Great I found it! Thanks!

And this file is flashable using OCTANS?

Bryan

there are instructions on this forum under pinned topics. use octans and not octans mini. just follow the

instructions. its not difficult.

Guest jojo080889

Can someone provide this link to the stock ROM? I've been searching the boards for a while and I cannot find it for the life of me.

Thanks in advance!

Guest khanmech
http://images.eocnet.net/ROMs/

From Radioman96p71 >rom files post 1:

:P :(

Thanx for that link! Haven't yet flashed my phone, still kind of gunshy and waiting for clearer, more foolproof guides and tools for flashing before committing I guess, and one of the big reasons is, how do I get myself back to the zero point (stock rom) if things go sub-optimally.

I have used the kitchen (http://www.modaco.com/content/i8000-omnia-ii-gsm-rom-discussion/300288/rom-dump-build-application/) along with Sorg's disk dump tool (http://www.modaco.com/content/i8000-verizon-sch-i920-omnia-ii-http-i8000-modaco-com/300860/dskdump-2-0/) to dump my own rom.

I can't help but notice that what I have done doesn't seem to match up with what Radioman did, in terms of file size. That makes me nervous. Either I f'd up or he f'd up....i'm more than willing to say I f'd up since I'm operating on little more than good intentions and hope.

Honestly, I'm of the opinion that the hidden partition/stock rom thing that some omnia's seem to have been born with was a wonderful thing. I'd gladly sacrifice a few hundred megabytes of hidden space for the option to instantly return my Omnia to stock condition if I need to

Edited by khanmech

Guest kdkinc
Thanx for that link! Haven't yet flashed my phone, still kind of gunshy and waiting for clearer, more foolproof guides and tools for flashing before committing I guess, and one of the big reasons is, how do I get myself back to the zero point (stock rom) if things go sub-optimally.

I have used the kitchen (http://www.modaco.com/content/i8000-omnia-ii-gsm-rom-discussion/300288/rom-dump-build-application/) along with Sorg's disk dump tool (http://www.modaco.com/content/i8000-verizon-sch-i920-omnia-ii-http-i8000-modaco-com/300860/dskdump-2-0/) to dump my own rom.

I can't help but notice that what I have done doesn't seem to match up with what Radioman did, in terms of file size. That makes me nervous. Either I f'd up or he f'd up....i'm more than willing to say I f'd up since I'm operating on little more than good intentions and hope.

Honestly, I'm of the opinion that the hidden partition/stock rom thing that some omnia's seem to have been born with was a wonderful thing. I'd gladly sacrifice a few hundred megabytes of hidden space for the option to instantly return my Omnia to stock condition if I need to

The main difference I believe is that your working on a GSM phone where as Radiomans and my phone are CDMA.

Guest khanmech
The main difference I believe is that your working on a GSM phone where as Radiomans and my phone are CDMA.

Nope, Verizon i920 cdma phone. I have changed my startup and shutdown sounds and screens, but that's only a difference of a meg or two max.

Guest kdkinc
Nope, Verizon i920 cdma phone. I have changed my startup and shutdown sounds and screens, but that's only a difference of a meg or two max.

When you flash you are using Octans correct??

Also wozzer had to build a kitchen to cook the rom I have not seen a link to it though...

Guest khanmech
When you flash you are using Octans correct??

Also wozzer had to build a kitchen to cook the rom I have not seen a link to it though...

havnt' flashed yet, still a bit gunshy about doing so, but playing with roms and the kitchen in the meantime.

I have been using sorg's dskdump and the wes58's kitchen. using only that, I dumped and rebuilt the rom to a .nbo file, and I got a .nbo that is 305,551kb. The Radioman .nbo is 285,013. I figure I may have set an option differently or something, as they are both 21863 stock roms. I did set the "all packages to one" option, but to tell you the truth I'm not sure what that even does.

Guest levytv
havnt' flashed yet, still a bit gunshy about doing so, but playing with roms and the kitchen in the meantime.

I have been using sorg's dskdump and the wes58's kitchen. using only that, I dumped and rebuilt the rom to a .nbo file, and I got a .nbo that is 305,551kb. The Radioman .nbo is 285,013. I figure I may have set an option differently or something, as they are both 21863 stock roms. I did set the "all packages to one" option, but to tell you the truth I'm not sure what that even does.

i think you are way over thinking it. wozzers or radiomans will get you back to stock. the flashing procedure is easy if you follow directions. and use octans and not octans mini. you only go round once in life.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Dean333
can wozzer's or radiomans stock room be used on an i920 that has the DC23 upgrade on it?

I have tried wozzers on DC23 and it worked. I just made a stock DC23 rom from this thread thanks to amdzero.

Edited by Dean333

Guest amdzero
I have tried wozzers on DC23 and it worked. I just made a stock DC23 rom from this thread thanks to amdzero.

Just beware again, that you cannot change the CSC nor phone at this point but only the PDA portion of your phone. Glad I could help.

Guest Dean333
Just beware again, that you cannot change the CSC nor phone at this point but only the PDA portion of your phone. Glad I could help.

Thanks Again Amdzero, I am aware of the CSC/PDA portion now. I would like to be able to do something with CSC & Phone portion as I am having many issues with DC23. But Verizon and Samsung are replacing my phone I should have it sometime today.

Guest amdzero
Thanks Again Amdzero, I am aware of the CSC/PDA portion now. I would like to be able to do something with CSC & Phone portion as I am having many issues with DC23. But Verizon and Samsung are replacing my phone I should have it sometime today.

No prob.

Guest emvious

Dean333 can you share the Stock DC23 ROM that you made?

NM, was able to create a Stock DC23 rom using AMDZero DC23 kitchen...hope i said that correctly

Edited by emvious

Guest emvious
Dean333 can you share the Stock DC23 ROM that you made?

NM, was able to create a Stock DC23 rom using AMDZero DC23 kitchen...hope i said that correctly

Ok weird. Active sync was not working with my vista machine after i flashed my phone with the Stock DC23 frmo AMD Zero's kitchen. In fact the the only flashable ROM that i had success with using Activesync on my Vista PC has been only Wozzer's stock rom.

After flashing with the Stock DC23 ROM i decided to run the Verizon's DC23 upgrade. After going through the painfull process I was able to iupgrade successfully and Activesync was working with my Vista Machine.

Is there anything in the kitchen that has anything to do with Activesync?

Guest amdzero
Ok weird. Active sync was not working with my vista machine after i flashed my phone with the Stock DC23 frmo AMD Zero's kitchen. In fact the the only flashable ROM that i had success with using Activesync on my Vista PC has been only Wozzer's stock rom.

After flashing with the Stock DC23 ROM i decided to run the Verizon's DC23 upgrade. After going through the painfull process I was able to iupgrade successfully and Activesync was working with my Vista Machine.

I'm not sure why activesync doesn't work. To be honest I don't even use it. I don't use MS office on my main computer so there is no reason for me to. I don't use it to backup my settings either, as I use SPB Backup.

If I have time I can troubleshoot it, but I need you to be more specific. Are there any error messages? Does it sometimes work or never? Does it let you explore the phone files/folders?

I think Ninja is also looking into it for his roms.

Guest Dean333

If you would like my DC23 stock ROM just let me know, active sync worked fine for me.

Guest emvious
I'm not sure why activesync doesn't work. To be honest I don't even use it. I don't use MS office on my main computer so there is no reason for me to. I don't use it to backup my settings either, as I use SPB Backup.

If I have time I can troubleshoot it, but I need you to be more specific. Are there any error messages? Does it sometimes work or never? Does it let you explore the phone files/folders?

I think Ninja is also looking into it for his roms.

I'll try playing around with Active sync some more this week and keep notes of what works, doesn't works, and any error messages that i get.