AT&T Nexus One: Downgraded Radio - Improved Reception

Guest slyydrr

Guest larry996

Awesome Awesome! AT&T Nexus One - I just downgraded to 22U on the Radio and I went form "zero-one bar" to "two-three" sitting here at my desk!

I want to add to your how to file with the following.

**After unpacking the radio.zip, the phone will ask you to reboot to complete installation. Just select reboot from the top of the recovery menu.

**Next the phone will complete the installation and boot back into recovery and at the bottom it will say " formatting CACHE..." wait a few mins and then select reboot from the top of the recovery menu.

That's it! --man was I nervous! The only way to brick your phone is the radio flash!

Guest slyydrr
supa you dont fastboot on pc follow the instructions and put zip on sd card and update by going into recovery and having it flash update from sd...

ATTENTION ALL AT&T NEXUS ONE USERS AFTER ALL MY WORK ON THIS ISSUE BETWEEN GOOGLE, HTC, AND AT&T.. HTC HAS AGREED TO REPLACE ANY OF THEM AS IT IS A HARD WARE ISSUE AND ACCORDING TO THEM NOT COMMON WITH THE AT&T NEXUS ONE, HOW EVER I NOTICED WITH BEST RESULT'S CONTACT GOOGLES NEXUS ONE DEPT, THEY WILL WANT TO CHECK SETTINGS ETC JSUT TELL THEM THAT YOU HAVE TRIED THAT AND A HARD RESSET AND NO AVAIL AND IT IS A MALFUNCTIONING HARDWARE ISSUE LET THEM CONNECT THE CALL TO HTC AND YOU SHOULD BE ALL SET... I WILL UPDATE IN 2 DAYS TO LET YOU KNOW IF MY NEW NEXUS ONE WORKS ;)

Can you elaborate on this? Are you saying that the reception issue is hardware related and that a newer batch of phones is available that they'll replace our current phones with?

Oh and btw, per forum etiquette, try not to use all caps. A lot of people consider it a form of yelling :) Thanks!

Guest ivopjr

Hello every one,

So, any news about downgrading the radio on Tmo coverage? I read all the replies but no one posted, after the downgrade, if it the reception became better or not.

I am using the original version of Nexus One, after trying Cyanigen's and Desire roms.

Thanks in advance!!!!

:)

Guest todbld
Can you elaborate on this? Are you saying that the reception issue is hardware related and that a newer batch of phones is available that they'll replace our current phones with?

Oh and btw, per forum etiquette, try not to use all caps. A lot of people consider it a form of yelling :) Thanks!

first of all if you noticed not all of it was caps :-P meaning i ment for it to be that way, secondly new phone came in mail today i just got back into town so i will report on status after a full day and comparison of the 2 phones as i have both old and new one in my possession at the moment along with a acer liquid and a g1. As for admission on there part all i can comment on is that after dealing with them google and at&t for a month htc said they were surprised to hear about the at&t version issue as they have not had many complaints so the assumed it must be a hardware issue and offered replacement, the reason i brought this immediately to everyones attention was ... one to hopefully offer helpful alternative to people in the same position as me and two even if issue is not resolved with new phone HTC needs to know they are shipping out inferior and malfunctioning products and maybe getting a load of them back for the same issue will get them involved in a radio update or some sort of fix. I am well versed in this area and jsut went through this problem with acer liquid and until latest leaked radio had poor reception with it , now with newest radio i have PERFECT service everywhere under ground , in walk in coolers etc. If htc does not fix this issue i will be returning the nexus one by end of the week even though i love it .. i will use now working liquid until evo release

Guest bigpoppa0871
You can extract the radio.img file and flash it with fastboot instead;

fastboot flash radio radio.img

Thanks StevenZ. Sounds easy enough. Is it possible to provide instructions to do this?

Thanks

Guest SUPADUPA111
supa you dont fastboot on pc follow the instructions and put zip on sd card and update by going into recovery and having it flash update from sd...

ATTENTION ALL AT&T NEXUS ONE USERS AFTER ALL MY WORK ON THIS ISSUE BETWEEN GOOGLE, HTC, AND AT&T.. HTC HAS AGREED TO REPLACE ANY OF THEM AS IT IS A HARD WARE ISSUE AND ACCORDING TO THEM NOT COMMON WITH THE AT&T NEXUS ONE, HOW EVER I NOTICED WITH BEST RESULT'S CONTACT GOOGLES NEXUS ONE DEPT, THEY WILL WANT TO CHECK SETTINGS ETC JSUT TELL THEM THAT YOU HAVE TRIED THAT AND A HARD RESSET AND NO AVAIL AND IT IS A MALFUNCTIONING HARDWARE ISSUE LET THEM CONNECT THE CALL TO HTC AND YOU SHOULD BE ALL SET... I WILL UPDATE IN 2 DAYS TO LET YOU KNOW IF MY NEW NEXUS ONE WORKS :rolleyes:

I know, I was not rooted and was trying to flash radio w/o root through fastboot

Hello every one,

So, any news about downgrading the radio on Tmo coverage? I read all the replies but no one posted, after the downgrade, if it the reception became better or not.

I am using the original version of Nexus One, after trying Cyanigen's and Desire roms.

Thanks in advance!!!!

:D

We're all on AT&T 3G so we wouldn't be able to help with t-mobile 3G, even if the older radio benefited edge it wouldn't be a drastic gain.

Thanks StevenZ. Sounds easy enough. Is it possible to provide instructions to do this?

Thanks

Like I posted above, fastboot didn't work due to file signing issue. You are better off flashing through update zip. If you are not familiar with flashing and such, I don't recommend starting with radio flashing as it is the more dangerous things to do.

Guest techlogik

I've run the latest stock radio when I got my Nexus One two weeks ago, it has run just as my iPhone did...no different.

It's not the radio stack, as you found out, it's some hardware firmware/chip issue.

Hope they come through and replace phones as advertised in your email, so if anyone starts to get these issues, they can get a new phone.

Thanks

Guest AndiTails

Just extracted the radio.img from the new FroYo update and flashed onto my CM 5.0.6'd N1 using fastboot.

Seems to work a treat, and logged onto the network very quickly...

Here's hoping my signal will improve a bit!

Guest stevenz

New radio from FroYo - 32.36.00.28U_4.06.00.12_7:

(radio.img only)

http://rapidshare.com/files/390478290/Nexu...0.12_7.zip.html

MD5 = 11dd81135cc153f21cc8007a83fc0df

Seems to get better reception than 03/04 and also seems to be able to hold a 3G/HSPA and WiFi connection at the same time now. May be a glitch, but they're both staying on using this radio with the FroYo ROM and with CM 5.0.7-t3.

Looks like a winner!

Edited by stevenz

Guest slyydrr
New radio from FroYo - 32.36.00.28U_4.06.00.12_7:

(radio.img only)

http://rapidshare.com/files/390478290/Nexu...0.12_7.zip.html

MD5 = 11dd81135cc153f21cc8007a83fc0df

Seems to get better reception than 03/04 and also seems to be able to hold a 3G/HSPA and WiFi connection at the same time now. May be a glitch, but they're both staying on using this radio with the FroYo ROM and with CM 5.0.7-t3.

Looks like a winner!

I was hoping for this! I'm on Froyo w/ the new radio and I'll be testing out my reception at the office on Monday. Gives me a reason to look forward to work! :rolleyes:

Guest larry996
I was hoping for this! I'm on Froyo w/ the new radio and I'll8 bet testing out my reception at the office on Monday. Gives me a reason to look forward to work! :rolleyes:

Slydrr

Did you just flash froyo over? Did you wipe?

You are on ATT right? I am new hoping for some good directions for Froyo ATT N1 users

Guest theletterj

I just flashed Paul's Froyo repack with the new radio. I was getting roughly -87dBm in my house with the original shipping radio (EPE54B), and now in the same spots, I'm getting -95dBm to -103dBm. This is hardly conclusive, but just what I've observed.

Also, I've notice that my Wi-Fi reception has gotten worse. Even when I'm standing right next to the router. I'd check more thoroughly, but I didn't record many readings prior to flashing the new radio. Anyone have any insights on this? I'm seriously considering downflashing the radio (ERE27). Your thoughts?

Guest slyydrr
Slydrr

Did you just flash froyo over? Did you wipe?

You are on ATT right? I am new hoping for some good directions for Froyo ATT N1 users

I was one of the very initial adopters so in the process of getting to Froyo, I had restored my phone back to the stock ERE27 ROM and the stock recovery image. At that point, I was able to flash the official ERE27-->FRF50 update zip. Now you can just download the zip provided by Paul (the pre-rooted one) and flash it through your custom recovery image. I'd recommend doing a nandroid backup, and a wipe after that, but it may not be required.

And yes, I'm on AT&T, but instructions for AT&T users should be 100% identical to those for T-Mobile users. Being that said, I'd take a look at this thread from Paul. It's the full kitchen, so you can package it up however you'd like! If you're not a MoDaCo Ad Free member, I suggest donating. It's well worth it for the kitchen and it helps support his great work! Otherwise, there are two update zips at the top of the thread. One with the new radio and one without. Grab the one with for your first update if you want to flash the new radio.

http://android.modaco.com/content/google-n...online-kitchen/

Edited by slyydrr

Guest slyydrr
I just flashed Paul's Froyo repack with the new radio. I was getting roughly -87dBm in my house with the original shipping radio (EPE54B), and now in the same spots, I'm getting -95dBm to -103dBm. This is hardly conclusive, but just what I've observed.

Also, I've notice that my Wi-Fi reception has gotten worse. Even when I'm standing right next to the router. I'd check more thoroughly, but I didn't record many readings prior to flashing the new radio. Anyone have any insights on this? I'm seriously considering downflashing the radio (ERE27). Your thoughts?

I'm getting better reception at the office now! This new radio seems to be a winner for me, just like stevenz said! I haven't noticed any worse reception with WiFi either but as always, results may vary from person to person. I'll update the initial post at some point to talk about results with the different radios. Let me know your findings if you continue to test :rolleyes: