Sat Nav on HTC Desire

Guest ascot17

Guest ascot17

Hi all,

I am thinking anout taking the plunge into Andriod and am impressed with all the reviews on the HTC Desire. (I currently have a Samsung i900 Omnia.)

One great benefits to me of a WinMo phone is the ability to run TomTom on it. I appreciate that TomTom is not [yet?] available for Android. Is anyone running another 3rd party Sat Nav on their Desire (eg Copilot) and more importantly, does it work properly?

Many thanks.

Guest Kasonne
Hi all,

I am thinking anout taking the plunge into Andriod and am impressed with all the reviews on the HTC Desire. (I currently have a Samsung i900 Omnia.)

One great benefits to me of a WinMo phone is the ability to run TomTom on it. I appreciate that TomTom is not [yet?] available for Android. Is anyone running another 3rd party Sat Nav on their Desire (eg Copilot) and more importantly, does it work properly?

Many thanks.

I have been using CoPilot for a year and have no problems with it what so ever, works great and I use it a lot when driving up and down the country for work. easily equals the likes of Garmin Mobile XT.

Guest Calamity James

I've just installed CoPilot on my Desire after my Pulse took the plunge into a drain and every bugbear I had with it on the Pulse has vanished on the Desire, it's amazingly quick, route planning takes a few seconds comapred to 30-odd with the Pulse, it's a very smooth interface and for UK+IRL it's only like £28, total bargain IMO!

Guest Drefsab

its a shame the navigation option of google maps isn't a little better all it needs is turn by turn voice direction's and to auto track your location.

Guest ascot17
I've just installed CoPilot on my Desire after my Pulse took the plunge into a drain and every bugbear I had with it on the Pulse has vanished on the Desire, it's amazingly quick, route planning takes a few seconds comapred to 30-odd with the Pulse, it's a very smooth interface and for UK+IRL it's only like £28, total bargain IMO!

It does work then! The Desire is not yet listed on the Copilot site, but that's what I wanted to know. Thanks very much!

Guest zippyioa
It does work then! The Desire is not yet listed on the Copilot site, but that's what I wanted to know. Thanks very much!

I bought Copilot for the whole of Europe in August 2009 when I bought my HTC Hero.

I finally took the plunge with a Desire yesterday on the £10 per month T-Mobile deal. The only problem I have so far (other than waiting for the network unlock code from HTCCode) is that the Copilot app doesnt show up in my Market.

As such, I can't find a way to install Copilot on my Desire. Any ideas?

Zippyioa

Guest Calamity James
I bought Copilot for the whole of Europe in August 2009 when I bought my HTC Hero.

I finally took the plunge with a Desire yesterday on the £10 per month T-Mobile deal. The only problem I have so far (other than waiting for the network unlock code from HTCCode) is that the Copilot app doesnt show up in my Market.

As such, I can't find a way to install Copilot on my Desire. Any ideas?

Zippyioa

That's odd, I just did a Market search for "CoPilot" and they were all there! Maybe try the QR code:

post-621181-1270543460_thumb.png

(UK + Ireland)

post-621181-1270543521_thumb.png

(Europe)

Edited by Calamity James

Guest zippyioa
That's odd, I just did a Market search for "CoPilot" and they were all there! Maybe try the QR code:

post-621181-1270543460_thumb.png

(UK + Ireland)

post-621181-1270543521_thumb.png

(Europe)

All sorted now after putting a sim card in the phone. Thanks anyway!

zippyioa

Guest danlad79

^^

It is easier to just download Nav Launcher from the market, which automatically downloads the Google Maps "brut" version, which allows voice turn by turn sat nav from google maps in the UK. Simples!

It has advantages and disadvantages over CoPilot. Its free. It allows voice commands eg "navigate to Leeds City Centre". It also uses "the cloud" meaning you dont need the address of anything. Eg you can navigate to Leeds City Museum. Whereas on all other sat nav systems, you would actually need to know the address or street or postcode of the place you want. The downside is that the graphical directions it gives isnt as good as CoPilot which is more like TOMTOM - which we all know is great.

Guest Scottland
^^

It is easier to just download Nav Launcher from the market, which automatically downloads the Google Maps "brut" version, which allows voice turn by turn sat nav from google maps in the UK. Simples!

It has advantages and disadvantages over CoPilot. Its free. It allows voice commands eg "navigate to Leeds City Centre". It also uses "the cloud" meaning you dont need the address of anything. Eg you can navigate to Leeds City Museum. Whereas on all other sat nav systems, you would actually need to know the address or street or postcode of the place you want. The downside is that the graphical directions it gives isnt as good as CoPilot which is more like TOMTOM - which we all know is great.

CoPilot now has "live" search meaning you can search for locations if you don't know the address etc, ala Google Maps :P

Guest pete.major

I use CoPilot too.

The coolest feature for me is the Live Link friends. When I travel long distance to visit family or friends, they can track my progress on the internet. When I arrive they're waiting at the door with a nice, cold bottle of beer ;-)

Guest h00pyfr00d
I use CoPilot too.

The coolest feature for me is the Live Link friends. When I travel long distance to visit family or friends, they can track my progress on the internet. When I arrive they're waiting at the door with a nice, cold bottle of beer ;-)

You can do the same with Google Latitude and even buzz about the bad traffic...if anyone ever used Buzz. :-)

Guest nekromantik

Sygic Mobile Maps is another option

Only downside with Google Maps is that it requires data connection while paid for sat nav uses pre-loaded maps.

Guest zippyioa
Noobish question but do you have to subscribe to CoPilot or is it a one off payment and the GPS works?

It's a one off payment.

Then you have the maps on your phone so no internet connection is required, only GPS to tell the phone where you are! Pilot is great, been using it for 6 months now over UK and France

Guest dpramsden

Install "Nav Launcher" from the marketplace then it will ask you if you want the google nav maps (brut) - this can be used in any country.

I use this on my X10 and it works a treat!!

Co pilot is ok but i think google maps are the best and of course FREE

Guest irishandrew
Install "Nav Launcher" from the marketplace then it will ask you if you want the google nav maps (brut) - this can be used in any country.

I use this on my X10 and it works a treat!!

Co pilot is ok but i think google maps are the best and of course FREE

I second the vote for Nav Launcher - quite a nice implementation for EU accessing google navigation, and keeps your original Google Maps along side (which is a newer version with more layers). However, this does depend on having a reliable internet connection for your entire journey, and particularly roaming this would be a prohibitively expensive option. For offline maps I have to recommend Copilot - very good and decent value (much cheaper than TomTom on windows mobile or iphone). I would say though that on the default settings the audible instructions/warnings are a bit too intrusive, but easily rectified with some messing about.

Cheers,

andrew.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest dreamdealer

i got copilot when it first came out on my google G1 or HTC dream, device, but to be fair back then it worked well but due to the phones limitations it used to annoy me when people called or sent me a text because it used to overload my G1 and reboot my phone, but i stuck with it, why well £25 pound for one off payment is the best your going to get i now have it on my Desire and it fits the picture perfectly for the phone and comes into its self now, the navigation is normally spot on never really failed with it although if you know where your going and you have it set for that destination it doesn't always take you the quickest route.

there is an alternate sat nav program that comes via google maps but never been released in Europe, there's a thread on xda developers website. on how to get it onto our phones for use in Europe but the voice navigation is way off target visual navigation close to perfect but voice isn't really up to standard most of the time it doesn't even tell you which way to head which is probably why it never been brought out in europe amunst other reasons.

so for a small fee copilot is the way forward at the moment, there European support is bad but i found you get better support with then though twitter or from the American based copilot support.

Guest russdroid

I have had a desire now for a fortnight and its a dream of a machine. I have installed Navigon and have tested this and all seems ok. I have run Google maps and found this to be awful on updating itself quickly enough. Add to this that the position it puts is usually driving through buildings and not roads.