Iphone OS 4.0

Guest The_IMF

Guest The_IMF

Anyone seen the iphone OS 4.0?

I just checked it out... they've basically stolen everything from an Android handset which the iphone did not have and implement it into the iphone... multitasking, notifications, wallpaper etc.

Think HTC will sue them now?? lol.

Incorrect. The iPhone STILL doesn't have proper multitasking. They're putting something in that appears to be a bit like multitasking but isn't actually multitasking at all. Freezing an app while you do something else isn't really anything special and the multitasking they're trumpeting with Spotify is an exception, not the rule.

I'm paraphrasing stuff I read on another forum. Seeing people's excitement at these features just makes me less interested in an iPhone, with Android it seems that anything's possible with iPhone it seems anything's possible but only if they say so.

Guest The_IMF
Incorrect. The iPhone STILL doesn't have proper multitasking. They're putting something in that appears to be a bit like multitasking but isn't actually multitasking at all. Freezing an app while you do something else isn't really anything special and the multitasking they're trumpeting with Spotify is an exception, not the rule.

I'm paraphrasing stuff I read on another forum. Seeing people's excitement at these features just makes me less interested in an iPhone, with Android it seems that anything's possible with iPhone it seems anything's possible but only if they say so.

That last paragraph is exactly why I would never get an iphone but they just demonstrated uploading pictures with one app, and then going to another app while uploading continues in the background...

Guest tristan202
Because HTC is responsible for android? what a stupid post this is.

In Apples little world they are. Why else would they sue HTC and not Google?

Guest cezent

I was actually following that news release today. All the new features on iphone OS4.0 are not new at all, and it ll take them all the way till this fall to implement them. By that time Froyo would be out, which is the android version suppose to bring together the current fragmentation in the Android dev space (i.e. somehow bring together a common stock ROM with 3rd party UI such as HTC Sense). That means the OS version will no longer so much depend on individual manufactuers( and we wont have to wait for HTC to update their Sense after 3 version of android roll out)

anyway, conclusion: get an Nexus One

Big enough to counter sue

I don't doubt but attacking Google is gonna be worse than attacking HTC. What happens if Google take all their apps off the iPhone? What happens if they stop paying Apple $100 Million a year to have Google be the default search on iPhone? What happens if they decide they don't want their stuff to work with OSX Etc. Etc. I'm not saying that any of those things would necessarily hurt Apple but comparatively HTC are a much smaller company whose products don't interact with Apple's at all.

EDIT: removed something wrong. D'oh!

Edited by Guest

Guest gregDT

HTC also make a good target as they hold relatively few patents to counter sue Apple with. Hence Apple haven't sued Motorola and their vast patent catalogue.

Guest xTc is loVe

I only laugh about the iPhone ;-)

They talk about there mass of apps? One APP exists 30 times! And we just got the good portet =)

Sure iPhone will be selled more than Android phones cause all the not knowing idiots out there Buy it because it is easy to use, everyone can use it! Android isnt good enough this time! But it will be the best! =)

Well, I actually feel kind happy&sad about the Iphone OS4. From one side it must be really painful to them to confess that whatever they did so far was a joke and useless for a serious usage. Total failure in other words.

From the other hand I'm glad that there's at least one company, that improves the things about its product and thus forces the competitors to not sit and wait the customers to accept their crap. Although I'd preferred that company not to be apple actually.

In my opinion OS4 means bad times for WP7 & Symbian. Very bad ones.

When it comes to android, I think google has no other choice now, but to start fixing the stupid limitations in the OS. We, customers, won't accept an OS that has no PC sync, literally no multimedia subsystem, tons of broken basic functionality, Beta stage software with no proper integration, no common look&feel , etc. Not speaking about the insane upgrade policy.

Google has to realize that Android is being sold not because it's good, but because iphone is too limited and MS announced WM6 end of life. And better that be before they see the selling numbers at the end of the year. My opinion.

Well, I actually feel kind happy&sad about the Iphone OS4. From one side it must be really painful to them to confess that whatever they did so far was a joke and useless for a serious usage. Total failure in other words...

...My opinion.

I think you're on your own there!

Guest masterpfa
When it comes to android, I think google has no other choice now, but to start fixing the stupid limitations in the OS. We, customers, won't accept an OS that has no PC sync, literally no multimedia subsystem, tons of broken basic functionality, Beta stage software with no proper integration, no common look&feel , etc. Not speaking about the insane upgrade policy.

Some good points here. Google, I hope, are listening to their customers and who knows by time Froyo hits the streets these things may well be sorted especially the updating of the Android OS. Features like 'Sense UI' and 'Motoblur' along with Sony, Samsung et al, should all have been features added to Android and not re-written sources, after all Customisation should also include the option to 'Leave Well Alone', after all handsets would still be sold.

Updating is one thing, currently, Apple do better (along with marketing, advertising) :P

Guest paulsmith

"We, customers, won't accept an OS that has no PC sync"

I will - thats why I got an android phone.

I got rid of my iPhone because of the need to make love to iTunes every 5mins.

I want a 'smart' phone - not one dependant upon one single PC sitting in a room miles away from me (iTunes sync limitation of 1 PC).

I want a 'smart' phone - not one dependant upon one single PC sitting in a room miles away from me (iTunes sync limitation of 1 PC).

I absolutely respect your choice. However that's not a valid point as Iphone can sync OTA with any cloud mail & calendar (supporting caldav). It can also do it locally via itunes to a PC, correct. Android on the other hand can only do it only OTA and only with google's cloud (natively, 3rd party workarounds do exist perhaps). No offense, but I wouldn't call that a smartphone-it looks more like a proprietary google's tool, designed to force us using some preselected services.

I take the remark and change the phrase: "We, customers, won't accept an OS that has no PC sync" to "We, some customers, won't accept an OS that lacks ANY means of mail&cal sync - PC, cloud, etc."

P.S.S relying on itunes is exactly that good/bad as being tight to nokia's ovi suite, microsoft's WMDC, HTC sync, etc SW. Unavoidable if you want more than USB file transfer protocol.

P.S.S. I don't own an iphone as I find it useless with OS3. Android as well. But that doesn't mean I'm preaching how good WM is and how I like its limitations and problems. ;) All I'm saying is that after we've seen the limitations of all those platforms, any new one coming has to be better, not worse.

Guest MoWeb
Some good points here. Google, I hope, are listening to their customers and who knows by time Froyo hits the streets these things may well be sorted especially the updating of the Android OS. Features like 'Sense UI' and 'Motoblur' along with Sony, Samsung et al, should all have been features added to Android and not re-written sources, after all Customisation should also include the option to 'Leave Well Alone', after all handsets would still be sold.

Updating is one thing, currently, Apple do better (along with marketing, advertising) ;)

My man, don't count on Google listening to their customers. There is a long standing complaint about the lack of bluetooth voice dialing in Android and it only has a medium priority at Google. This post ( http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=1181 ) was started in 2008 and was merged to another post because they were duplicates. Google is based in California, USA and there is a law there that states only hands free use while driving yet it’s still missing from Android.

As for the iPhone OS

Another bump in features along with the same design means only Apple fans will rush to buy. Meanwhile the smarter iPhone owners will realize Apple is just doing minor refreshes and jump to the Android platform. Android has a larger variety of hardware. By the way, I tried that iPad and to me it's a joke. It’s just a giant and more expensive non-portable iPod Touch which I already own. It’s time for some Android tablets.

I guess this give us something to talk about until 2.1 and MCR 4.0 ;)

Edited by MoWeb

Guest vorcigernix

As far as I hate Apple tyranny, I have to say that OS4 look good so far. I think they are listening to their customers more then Google. Good thing is that android companies have to rise investments and they will double think releasing poor hw/ugly customized UIs if they want to stay relevant. Good step to begin will be releasing drivers (modules) as opensource.

Guest vorcigernix

Updating is one thing, currently, Apple do better (along with marketing, advertising) ;)

+1

Guest The_IMF

I've been using the 2.1 roms developed by villain and all the complaints about Android or Google in this thread are already resolved in 2.1... which came out well before Iphone OS 4.0.

Voice dialling works fine, bluetooth for me connected to my handsfree car kit in 1.5 anyway, I can sync fine etc etc etc.

Because HTC is responsible for android? what a stupid post this is.

And maybe you should realise it was a jibe at Apple for suing HTC. But I'm sure you already must've reading the posts afterwards and thought what a doofus you'd just been.

Guest masterpfa
As for the iPhone OS

Another bump in features along with the same design means only Apple fans will rush to buy. By the way, I tried that iPad and to me it's a joke. It’s just a giant and more expensive non-portable iPod Touch which I already own. It’s time for some Android tablets.

I guess this give us something to talk about until 2.1 and MCR 4.0 ;)

I feel Apple felt pressurised into releasing a Tablet as it's been talked about for so long, but I couldn't stop laughing when it was revealed. Now if they had made it similar to the MacBook pro body (all aluminium just slimmer!) with a proper processor and ports and the Mac OSX OS 'THEN' I might have been interested. Apple have shown that a Tablet of this size is just ridiculous and maybe other manufactures out there will use Android OS (maybe a special vrsion something like 2.2 with additional features!) and a smaller form factor. The future looking good!

(It's working I haven't thought about 2.1 for..'DOH') ;)

Guest masterpfa
All I'm saying is that after we've seen the limitations of all those platforms, any new one coming has to be better, not worse.

+1

After all they should be able to learn from other peoples (read other OS) mistakes, they are well documented in all reviews globally!

Guest kieranc

I think we will, I think it depends on what you consider key features. I've never used PC sunc, why rely on a PC? The music playback works just fine, as far as I can tell phone calls/sms works fine so that's basic functionality covered.... There's a massive amount of beta software to play with, sure it might not be perfect but that's the poiint of BETA!

There seems to be a lot of people on this forum who want the moon on a stick, htc/google can't focus exclusively on the needs on one user, they make a product which is the way it is and you can choose it or an iphone. If you're not happy, i'm sure apple can take a large wadge of cash off you for a shiny status symbol.

I absolutely respect your choice. However that's not a valid point as Iphone can sync OTA with any cloud mail & calendar (supporting caldav). It can also do it locally via itunes to a PC, correct. Android on the other hand can only do it only OTA and only with google's cloud (natively, 3rd party workarounds do exist perhaps). No offense, but I wouldn't call that a smartphone-it looks more like a proprietary google's tool, designed to force us using some preselected services.

I take the remark and change the phrase: "We, customers, won't accept an OS that has no PC sync" to "We, some customers, won't accept an OS that lacks ANY means of mail&cal sync - PC, cloud, etc."

P.S.S relying on itunes is exactly that good/bad as being tight to nokia's ovi suite, microsoft's WMDC, HTC sync, etc SW. Unavoidable if you want more than USB file transfer protocol.

P.S.S. I don't own an iphone as I find it useless with OS3. Android as well. But that doesn't mean I'm preaching how good WM is and how I like its limitations and problems. ;) All I'm saying is that after we've seen the limitations of all those platforms, any new one coming has to be better, not worse.

itunes is s***, end of. Iphone can sync OTA, sure.... if you pay them. iphone can do usb tether.... if you pay them. I like the google system, it works for me, keeps my contacts/calendar safe and accessible from anywhere, for free. within 5 mins of formatting my phone i have everything back up and running, no sweat. anyway, as before, you pays your money and take your choice, i'm happy with mine.

Guest izmar

Is it just me, or does everything that was shown in the 4.0 event seem like it was just taken from the devs that developed things for jailbroken iphones. Multitasking? Had it with my JB iPhone! Folders? OLD NEWS, had that for almost a year!

This doesn't seem like a 4.0 update. More like a 3.5.

I wish they would have changed the layout. It's been the same for so long ;)

Is it just me, or does everything that was shown in the 4.0 event seem like it was just taken from the devs that developed things for jailbroken iphones. Multitasking? Had it with my JB iPhone! Folders? OLD NEWS, had that for almost a year!

This doesn't seem like a 4.0 update. More like a 3.5.

I wish they would have changed the layout. It's been the same for so long ;)

exactly.

I'm sorry but people are really praising apple for finally giving its users what it should have had in the first place??

Every upgrade from apple is treated to a huge web frenzy and fanfare.. "OMG WE CAN COPY AND PASTE" personally i would have expected that from the start (and did being an early adopter). Android isnt perfect but they are closer to my needs. I should be able to have an IM client running in the background so I am always contactable (thank you gtalk).

I'm a tech-geek, so an iphone = mandatory jailbreak followed by months of if only it could do this, why doesnt it do this, this is dumb i want to do this. Itunes is horrible imo and only use it because i still have an iphone in the house. Just like everything with apple they hold things back then give them to you like its the holy grail, I mean iTunes is on version 9? Wheres my folder watch? Is this the 90's? I still need to manually add every new album or get an app that I need to run every now and then to clean up.

So for me android > iphone, even with the fragmentation problem (that is being addressed) it is still a better OS. In the iphone theres just too much missing to make up for the things it does well imo.

Edited by kd0t