Nexus One won't boot past bootloader

Guest IceSt0rrm

Guest IceSt0rrm

Can't get past the bootloader(robots on skateboards screen)

So I'm running a nexus one on att with the HTC desire rom. The rom and phone were working perfectly up until today. I took out the battery in the phone then put it back in and it wouldn't boot past the bootloader.

Every time I hit reboot, the phone boots back to the bootloader despite what I do. I was only able to boot the phone up normally once since this problem started but being the fool that I am, I powered it off to see if the problem was fixed.. it's been loading the bootloader screen ever since.

I've done a factory wipe a couple times from the recovery menu and then flashed the desire rom but still returns instantly to bootloader every time I reboot the device.

Suggestions?

Edited by IceSt0rrm

Guest IceSt0rrm
Hmmm, have you tried doing a full wipe and then reflashing the rom?

yeah I just tried that a couple times and I still get the normal bootloader. The phone doesn't even try to boot up, the only time I see the rainbow X is when I'm loading recovery mode otherwise, the phone instantly goes to the bootloader (robots on skateboards screen)

Guest Jonnyw2k

Hmmm:

Developers who are creating new images to try out very often can remove their boot and recovery images which will force the phone to enter bootloader mode every time you boot. To fix this, you would reflash the boot and recovery images back allowing the phone to boot normally.

have you tried reflashing the recovery image, just incase that has become corrupt.

Guest IceSt0rrm
Hmmm:

Developers who are creating new images to try out very often can remove their boot and recovery images which will force the phone to enter bootloader mode every time you boot. To fix this, you would reflash the boot and recovery images back allowing the phone to boot normally.

have you tried reflashing the recovery image, just incase that has become corrupt.

hmm haven't tried that yet, going to do some research and figure out the best way of going about it

Guest IceSt0rrm
The only othe thing i can think of which i assume u have tried is a nandroid restore to before you installed the desire rom?

I tried the android restore but apparently never backed it up...oops. I am also trying to figure out how to reflash the boot image I'm trying

fastboot-windows flash boot boot.img

I copy it from my desire mod rom folder, it copies it nothing happens, is there more I need to be doing with this?

thinking I'm going to run to the store get a micro sd card reader/write and put cyanogen zip on there, wipe and try that don't really have any other ideas

Edited by IceSt0rrm

Guest IceSt0rrm

Alright this seriously sucks I don't know what I did wrong...took battery out once (not during a flash or anything) now I cant load anything past bootloader.

tried wiping and reflashing cyanogen instead of htc desire rom and it does the same thing.

Does this mean my phone is bricked or is there anything else I can do?

Wondering: is there anyway i can reflash the bootloader?

Edited by IceSt0rrm

Guest IceSt0rrm
Hey have you tried this yet?:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=614850

restores everything back to new

Followed the steps and it WORKED! then I rebooted and back to the white android on skateboards screen and couldn't boot back to the OS. not sure what the problem is anymore I tried the fix in the other thread...that did nothing

Guest Evi1_One
Followed the steps and it WORKED! then I rebooted and back to the white android on skateboards screen and couldn't boot back to the OS. not sure what the problem is anymore I tried the fix in the other thread...that did nothing

Did you flash the boot.alpha2.img or just copy it over? You mention that it copied, but it needs to be flashed. I had the same issue. The command I used was

Fastboot flash boot boot.alpha2.img

You should have confirmation of the flash.

Guest IceSt0rrm
Did you flash the boot.alpha2.img or just copy it over? You mention that it copied, but it needs to be flashed. I had the same issue. The command I used was

Fastboot flash boot boot.alpha2.img

You should have confirmation of the flash.

yep by copy I meant flash...still stuck in the boot loop with my phone. I did manage to get the phone booted up in safe mode with some brute force...the way I was able to do this was with the command flashboot-windows reboot

After I enter this command in commad prompt the phone boots properly to SAFE Mode. When I power off and turn the device back on, however, the phone is back to the white bootloader screen.

At this point I've tried flashing multiple ROMs using the recovery tool and fastboot...I have the phone at factory settings right now and everything functions fine when I'm in safe mode...it's just that I can't boot the phone properly and I can't install any applications in safe mode.

I read somewhere that it might be a problem with the trackball...when I'm on the bootloader screen I can't use the vol up down and power buttons to navigate unless I fiddle with the trackball a little bit. I originally had problems with the trackball on the recovery screen (lack of response or double taps) but it works perfectly now. And when I'm running the phone on safe mode...everything runs perfect.

Any more insight would be much appreciated. It's been several days without a functioning phone and with the bootloader unlocked...I'm kind of screwed on the warranty issue. So if it's software I'd like to try fixing it.

Guest Evi1_One
yep by copy I meant flash...still stuck in the boot loop with my phone. I did manage to get the phone booted up in safe mode with some brute force...the way I was able to do this was with the command flashboot-windows reboot

After I enter this command in commad prompt the phone boots properly to SAFE Mode. When I power off and turn the device back on, however, the phone is back to the white bootloader screen.

At this point I've tried flashing multiple ROMs using the recovery tool and fastboot...I have the phone at factory settings right now and everything functions fine when I'm in safe mode...it's just that I can't boot the phone properly and I can't install any applications in safe mode.

I read somewhere that it might be a problem with the trackball...when I'm on the bootloader screen I can't use the vol up down and power buttons to navigate unless I fiddle with the trackball a little bit. I originally had problems with the trackball on the recovery screen (lack of response or double taps) but it works perfectly now. And when I'm running the phone on safe mode...everything runs perfect.

Any more insight would be much appreciated. It's been several days without a functioning phone and with the bootloader unlocked...I'm kind of screwed on the warranty issue. So if it's software I'd like to try fixing it.

Perhaps its the order in which these steps are being done.

Wipe(do both wipes)

Flash desired Rom version

Flash the boot image

Cross fingers

Reboot

Guest IceSt0rrm
Perhaps its the order in which these steps are being done.

Wipe(do both wipes)

Flash desired Rom version

Flash the boot image

Cross fingers

Reboot

I followed all the above steps yet omitted the cross fingers step (perhaps in error? ;-) I have my rabbits foot though...)

I've gone through this so many times in fact I could probably root a phone with my eyes closed....

unfortunately I'm still getting the bootloader screen whenever I reboot...the only way I can boot up my phone is when I use command prompt and the command fastboot-windows reboot Only...it boots to SAFE MODE.

I'm considering attempting to send it in under warranty..it's just that as soon as HTC gets it I know they will see the unlocked state of the phone just by tapping the power button. So I would like to fix this issue legitimately, unfortunately I am the only one that seems to have had this 'unfixable' issue. My phone isn't bricked..when I am running it in safe mode it runs flawlessly...

I've been thinking the problem is perhaps with the Bootloader being stuck in some undefined state (If I could flash the bootloader/SPL would this fix the issue?) or it is possibly an issue with the trackball (which is working perfectly when I run the phone in safe mode.

I appreciate everyone's help so far :-)

• 3 months later...
Guest Poker(Rus)
I followed all the above steps yet omitted the cross fingers step (perhaps in error? ;-) I have my rabbits foot though...)

I've gone through this so many times in fact I could probably root a phone with my eyes closed....

unfortunately I'm still getting the bootloader screen whenever I reboot...the only way I can boot up my phone is when I use command prompt and the command fastboot-windows reboot Only...it boots to SAFE MODE.

I'm considering attempting to send it in under warranty..it's just that as soon as HTC gets it I know they will see the unlocked state of the phone just by tapping the power button. So I would like to fix this issue legitimately, unfortunately I am the only one that seems to have had this 'unfixable' issue. My phone isn't bricked..when I am running it in safe mode it runs flawlessly...

I've been thinking the problem is perhaps with the Bootloader being stuck in some undefined state (If I could flash the bootloader/SPL would this fix the issue?) or it is possibly an issue with the trackball (which is working perfectly when I run the phone in safe mode.

I appreciate everyone's help so far :-)

Good afternoon. Whether It was possible to you to solve a problem?

Guest arsenic33

I have the exact same problem on my nexus. I also tried everything you did but no luck :angry:

I am starting to think it is the trackball

i wish some one would help us

Guest Batkoto
I have the exact same problem on my nexus. I also tried everything you did but no luck :angry:

I am starting to think it is the trackball

i wish some one would help us

Try this link here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=614850

It will restore your nexus to a stock image

Good thing here is that you will need to use fastboot to flash all the images

Follow the procedure listed and post the result.

point. 5 is very important, so that will check if your N1 is actually connected in fastboot mode.

points. 6 and 7 are also importand, but they might not work in your case. (if you can access custom recovery, do a full wipe there)

after that just follow the rest of the process, also important is that you copy all *.img files in your \android-sdk-windows\tools directory

Cheers

Guest Poker(Rus)
Try this link here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=614850

It will restore your nexus to a stock image

Good thing here is that you will need to use fastboot to flash all the images

Follow the procedure listed and post the result.

point. 5 is very important, so that will check if your N1 is actually connected in fastboot mode.

points. 6 and 7 are also importand, but they might not work in your case. (if you can access custom recovery, do a full wipe there)

after that just follow the rest of the process, also important is that you copy all *.img files in your \android-sdk-windows\tools directory

Cheers

I do it many many times, but no any resultat.