HTC Dilemma

Guest roscoe141

Guest roscoe141

I wasn't sure where to post this so admin feel free to move it.

My dilemma:

I've been hoping to get a new phone for a while. Currently using a Nokia 6500 Slide for (unlimited texts 400 free minutes for only £13 a month), which is quite a bog standard phone and I felt it time for a change when my contract with Orange ended. I have been offered the HTC Desire as an upgrade at a fantastic monthly rate (Orange don't do the HTC Legend which I liked more) and the HTC Legend from Vodafone. My problem I'm not sure which one to go for.

I'll only really use a phone for texting, emailing, internet use, GPS and games and emergency calls.

I like the Legend as it's aesthetically more pleasing to look at. It's also slightly smaller which again I prefer for "pocketability". But having read many reviews it would seem the Desire is definitely the better phone with the bigger better screen and the more powerful engine.

In addition to the above Vodafone offered me the Legend, (unlimited texts and internet and 300 free minutes for only £20 a month, no handset fee).

I phoned Orange to cut off my line and they offered me the Desire (unlimited texts and internet and 200 free minutes for only £15 a month, no handset fee).

Staying with Orange would mean I can keep my phone number.

As you might imagine I've been offered some great deals but have to make a decision. Can someone with a little bit of experience give me some advice or feedback to help me make up my mind on which one to choose?

P.s. I tried searching the forum for both devices but am struggling to get any hits, perhaps these devices are known by different names outwith the UK or Europe? Edit: just found this android section of Modaco..

Edited by roscoe141

Guest tallen3

Hi,

I'm on Orange in the UK, I used to have an unlocked HTC Hero, but now have an unlocked Nexus One. Since I've been using the Nexus my boyfriend decided to go down the HTC route. Yesterday his HTC Desire arrived its freaking amazing. I would def go with this and not the Legend. Having used all 3 devices I would buy the Desire myself, the speed of the device, the screen quality, camera are all amazing. We also have ipod touches and it outdoes those.

Guest roscoe141
Hi,

I'm on Orange in the UK, I used to have an unlocked HTC Hero, but now have an unlocked Nexus One. Since I've been using the Nexus my boyfriend decided to go down the HTC route. Yesterday his HTC Desire arrived its freaking amazing. I would def go with this and not the Legend. Having used all 3 devices I would buy the Desire myself, the speed of the device, the screen quality, camera are all amazing. We also have ipod touches and it outdoes those.

Yeah I've had an 8Gb Ipod Touch for about a year. I think I'll go for the Desire, it did get best Mobile phone award from T3, iPhone came second, Legend came 3rd. I think I'll just have to live with the size..

Thanks for the feedback.

Guest masterpfa

You may have answered your own question

Legend, (unlimited texts and internet and 300 free minutes for only £20 a month, no handset fee).

Desire (unlimited texts and internet and 200 free minutes for only £15 a month, no handset fee).

One thing to consider is the demands being placed on these phones by more and more resource hungry apps the 1Ghz processor will stand the test of time better plus a reduced monthly contract. But having said that with your usage features may not be issue!

I have to admit had the features, under the skin, been similar, I'd probably choose the Legend too!! ;)

Staying with Orange would mean I can keep my phone number.

Is also something to consider.

Guest roscoe141
You may have answered your own question

One thing to consider is the demands being placed on these phones by more and more resource hungry apps the 1Ghz processor will stand the test of time better plus a reduced monthly contract. But having said that with your usage features may not be issue!

I have to admit had the features, under the skin, been similar, I'd probably choose the Legend too!! ;)

Is also something to consider.

Yeah you're probably right.

Really am delighted with it though. Now I just need to find out the following:

1. What exactly "Rooting it" means
  2. what "roms" are,
  3. is there a jailbreak equivalent ( I have an ipod touch)
  4. what the purposes of unlocking it from Orange are
  5. Where to get apps and find out if they are free
  6. how to set up GPS
lol

Yeah you're probably right.

Really am delighted with it though. Now I just need to find out the following:

1. What exactly "Rooting it" means
  2. what "roms" are,
  3. is there a jailbreak equivalent ( I have an ipod touch)
  4. what the purposes of unlocking it from Orange are
  5. Where to get apps and find out if they are free
  6. how to set up GPS
lol

1. See 3 ;)
  2. The software stored in the phone's internal flash comprising operating system & default apps
  3. Yes, see 1)
  4. So you can use a non Orange sim
  5. You'll find many in the market place, accessible from the market app on your phone
  6. Doesn't it work out the box?

Guest roscoe141
  1. See 3 ;)
  2. The software stored in the phone's internal flash comprising operating system & default apps
  3. Yes, see 1)
  4. So you can use a non Orange sim
  5. You'll find many in the market place, accessible from the market app on your phone
  6. Doesn't it work out the box?

That's very much for answering these questions. much obliged.

Regarding number 5. I presumed I would need to subscribe to Orange maps, I've done a bit of searching since this post and it looks like you can buy CoPilot as a one off or somehow use google maps. ;)

That's very much for answering these questions. much obliged.

Regarding number 5. I presumed I would need to subscribe to Orange maps, I've done a bit of searching since this post and it looks like you can buy CoPilot as a one off or somehow use google maps. ;)

Number 6, GPS? Yes, there are several commercial apps. The Google apps are free though. My Hero is rooted & running MCR 3.2 (a fast clean ROM based on the official HTC Android 1.5 release atm; Hero's still waiting for an official 2.1 update). It includes Google Maps. TBH I can't recall if it's in the official ROM but I think so, unless Orange removed it. Just realised you have a Desire; nice choice ;) That means you have a 2.1 based ROM & can run the latest versions of Google's apps.

Edited by zorm

Guest roscoe141
Number 6, GPS? Yes, there are several commercial apps. The Google apps are free though. My Hero is rooted & running MCR 3.2 (a fast clean ROM based on the official HTC Android 1.5 release atm; Hero's still waiting for an official 2.1 update). It includes Google Maps. TBH I can't recall if it's in the official ROM but I think so, unless Orange removed it. Just realised you have a Desire; nice choice ;) That means you have a 2.1 based ROM & can run the latest versions of Google's apps.

Yeah 6 sorry.. ;)

I found a website last night with loads of hacked apps. I stuck CoPilot on it (just to see if it would work), seems to work fine. and I haven't put any special new Roms on it or anything. Did I just get lucky?

Edited by roscoe141

Yeah 6 sorry.. ;)

I found a website last night with loads of hacked apps. I stuck CoPilot on it (just to see if it would work), seems to work fine. and I haven't put any special new Roms on it or anything. Did I just get lucky?

Nope. GPS should work out of the box. One of the many nice things about Android is that there's a lot of cool quality software for it that's either free or very reasonably priced. If you decide to go with CoPilot, which I have seen recommended, hopefully you'll support the community by buying an official copy.

Guest roscoe141
Nope. GPS should work out of the box. One of the many nice things about Android is that there's a lot of cool quality software for it that's either free or very reasonably priced. If you decide to go with CoPilot, which I have seen recommended, hopefully you'll support the community by buying an official copy.

I'm going to buy it at the start of May. My free internet doesn't kick in until then (not sure I even need the internet for GPS). Now I know how it works it looks like the one for me. I left another post under software to see what users thought of other GPS applications first though, just to make sure I'm buying the best one.

Thanks for the advice btw.

I'm going to buy it at the start of May. My free internet doesn't kick in until then (not sure I even need the internet for GPS).

you dont need internet to run any of the satnav programs that store the map locally (like co-pilot). Once the program is installed it runs from the memory card.

Only time you might need data is if you use the weather or traffic updates built into the program.

Guest roscoe141
you dont need internet to run any of the satnav programs that store the map locally (like co-pilot). Once the program is installed it runs from the memory card.

Only time you might need data is if you use the weather or traffic updates built into the program.

Oh right. Didn't realise that, thanks for the heads up.

Guest La Traviata
Looks nice but it's not an HTC..

Well, that may be a good thing. HTC's Sense UI is awesome but HTC phones tend to have a weak battery or poor camera (pink spot) or both, so it may be worth checking out the competition as well.

Guest thelucster

When I saw this topic at first I thought it was the name of a new HTC phone ;)

I would go with the Desire, although I do prefer the look of the Legend. I've got a Nexus One with the Desire firmware (so practically the same device) and it is great. I'm also so supprised how cheaply the Desire is being sold here in the UK. I wonder what the figures are like for it compared to iPhone initial sales - I know so many people who are getting one!

Edited by thelucster

Guest masterpfa
Looks nice but it's not an HTC..

Although HTC bring out some awesome phones and were responsible with the Hero and sense for converting me to Android, the current upgrade farce along with some other delays in the past, have meant that I would not discount other phones. The Galaxy S looks like a great piece of kit. That said, you're getting it on an upgrade.

Welcome to the Android community, have fun, enjoy and feel free to continue contributing in any form or matter ;)

'HTC Dilemma' - what a great product name... am I right?

What's the spec? 2GHz dual core, running Android 1.0 with an update to 2.1 due next week?

Guest La Traviata
Although HTC bring out some awesome phones and were responsible with the Hero and sense for converting me to Android, the current upgrade farce along with some other delays in the past, have meant that I would not discount other phones.

Yeah, one reason why I'm interested in the Galaxy S is the "with Google" on the back, like on Nexus One. Could this mean that Galaxy S gets a firmware upgrade whenever Google/Android upgrades? The other reason is the 8GB/16GB on-board storage. Plus the AMOLED screen seems to indicate low power consumption, so battery life should be good provided the 1Ghz processor isn't too heavy. I guess we have to wait for user reports to be sure though.

Edited by La Traviata

Guest tone-fu

The Galaxy S doesn't even have a flash for the camera, that kind of rules it out as an all-rounder and competitor for the likes of the Desire.

Guest La Traviata
The Galaxy S doesn't even have a flash for the camera, that kind of rules it out as an all-rounder and competitor for the likes of the Desire.

Some websites say that it will have a flash, so let's wait until it is released and then see. Also, photos at night tend to come out poor even with flash. Playing arond with the ISO setting helps, but in low light situations mobile phones are unfortunately still a long way behind a "proper" camera.