HTC Desire on Vodafone?

Guest Cyph3rs

Guest Cyph3rs

Hey all, I want to get a HTC Desire quite badly, just I can't decide on the network, I'm leaning towards Vodafone, but I wanted to ask if they brand the phone up badly at all? Or does it stay completely stock as HTC intended?

Guest Dauffen
Hey all, I want to get a HTC Desire quite badly, just I can't decide on the network, I'm leaning towards Vodafone, but I wanted to ask if they brand the phone up badly at all? Or does it stay completely stock as HTC intended?

It' has no branding on the device nor on boot up (unlike the legend)...

It's worth mentioning that I do not know whether it is vodafone restrictions or not but there are various apps missing from the market! even voice search! I found this on the desire and legend with voda

Guest irishandrew
It' has no branding on the device nor on boot up (unlike the legend)...

It's worth mentioning that I do not know whether it is vodafone restrictions or not but there are various apps missing from the market! even voice search! I found this on the desire and legend with voda

Hi, I have mine on Voda - no branding in any way, software or hardware. They don't package any extra Voda apps either. Phone is network unlocked also, as per Vodafone's more recent policy.

Regarding the missing apps in market - this has already been covered numerous times on the forums - it is due to Google not having approved the Desire fingerprint on the market for protected apps yet - no other reasons. Voice search is no longer on the market anyhow, on any platform as far as I recall. There are various theories as to why it's not in the desire rom - there is no clear answer yet - the HTC pages seem to think it should be. To be clear - voice search is not on the Desire, period, regardless of which carrier rom you may be using, and not in the official HTC generic ROM either (which I am using). I'm sure it will come in a ROM update in future, but like always there are ways around it. I have it up and running beautifully on my Desire, including TTS and using the HTC_IME modified HTC keyboard from XDA to add in the microphone icon and handy smiley button :-)

Tis a great phone - definately worth it. It you're not too fussed about warranty (I don't recall voda's policies on this actually) then I'd install the generic HTC ROM - nice and fast, decent battery level, and seems to have helped a few of those on T-Mob complaining of low volume levels. Hopefully Paul will get full write access with Root soon so we can have some nice MCR's!

Cheers,

Andrew.

Guest Cyph3rs
Hi, I have mine on Voda - no branding in any way, software or hardware. They don't package any extra Voda apps either. Phone is network unlocked also, as per Vodafone's more recent policy.

Regarding the missing apps in market - this has already been covered numerous times on the forums - it is due to Google not having approved the Desire fingerprint on the market for protected apps yet - no other reasons. Voice search is no longer on the market anyhow, on any platform as far as I recall. There are various theories as to why it's not in the desire rom - there is no clear answer yet - the HTC pages seem to think it should be. To be clear - voice search is not on the Desire, period, regardless of which carrier rom you may be using, and not in the official HTC generic ROM either (which I am using). I'm sure it will come in a ROM update in future, but like always there are ways around it. I have it up and running beautifully on my Desire, including TTS and using the HTC_IME modified HTC keyboard from XDA to add in the microphone icon and handy smiley button :-)

Tis a great phone - definately worth it. It you're not too fussed about warranty (I don't recall voda's policies on this actually) then I'd install the generic HTC ROM - nice and fast, decent battery level, and seems to have helped a few of those on T-Mob complaining of low volume levels. Hopefully Paul will get full write access with Root soon so we can have some nice MCR's!

Cheers,

Andrew.

Ahhhh right, thanks for that, thats good to hear. So it's DEFINITELY not down to Voda for the 'missing' apps? (If there are actually any apps missing, as you've explained the situation with Voice Search).

Guest kayceejayh

Also worth mentioning that Vodafone UK are doing some CRACKING 'Twitter' deals for people at the moment, if you follow and @ message @VodafoneUKDeals they'll help you. I just scored a Desire with 300 mins, unlimited texts and unlimited internet for £20pm for the first 15 months and £25 for the last 3 months. I know they are getting more stock in on Tuesday and are dealing with orders on a first come, first served basis.

HTH

K

Guest gavinlew

I'd confirm the post above, I got my Desire FOC on £20 24 mth contract with 300mins, 15000texts unlim internet from @vodafoneukdeals - the guy to speak with is Ben , I've recommended him to others and they have got the same deal.

Guest Stroller
I'd confirm the post above, I got my Desire FOC on £20 24 mth contract with 300mins, 15000texts unlim internet from @vodafoneukdeals - the guy to speak with is Ben , I've recommended him to others and they have got the same deal.

Looks like this may be a deal reserved for "twits". ;)

Sorry, lads, couldn't resist it!

No offence, and I totally withdraw this comment if the below turns out to be incorrect, but I thought I'd post this information in the hope that it's useful to others.

From the O2 Forums:

The deal is done with Vodafone....

900 mins

Unlimited txt (3000 txt a month)

Unlimited Web (500mb - but they will contact me if I continuously go over the limit, and not automatically charge!!!)

18 months contract

First 15 months at £20

Last 3 months at £35

Plus insurance for £6.99 a month......

Spoke with Matt...so far everyone I have dealt with at Vodafone are extremely helpful and polite

See the posting by "pistolpete1" on Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:02 pm in the "HTC Desire on O2" thread.

I guess you may be able to return your phone (with only 300 minutes) under the Distance Selling Act and then negotiate a better deal? Might be worth phoning them and not letting on you already signed up with that Twitter deal, confirm that pistolpete1 speaks the truth. I guess it's possible they gave him that price - well, the extra minutes - in order to sell him the insurance?

There have been many pages posted in that thread in the last week, so take a look through them for for other deals. These are obviously all O2 customers who are posting pissed off with the delay in bringing the Desire to O2, and there are lots saying "I've left O2, here's the tariff I got from Voda / T-Moby".

I've been on O2 for years, and need to keep my number. I don't really know how it all works with moving my number to a different network (PAC codes?) and it all seems like a bit of a hassle, so I'll probably wait a week or so and see what O2 can do for me.

Guest Stroller
From the O2 Forums:

See the posting by "pistolpete1" on Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:02 pm in the "HTC Desire on O2" thread.

More details from this guy:

..., it was direct through vodafone.

Goto their website, click on 'contact us' at the bottom of the page.

Then click 'email us' from the box on the left.

Tell them you are interested in a new contract with whatever phones/mins you want, and your phone number to contact you on, but add 'MMM135' into subject line.

This will get your email to the correct department (web team).

They will send a confirmation email, then phone you within the next 2-5 days to talk deals.

All people I have spoken to seem very polite and helpful, and if they need to call you back, they do!!!!!

Hope that all the details you need......

See posting by pistolpete1 on Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:52 pm

Guest kayceejayh

Justy thought i'd update you on what I said above, I've found out to my disappointment if you want a Desire quickly, going do Vodafone directly like this won't get you one. They've been flooded with enquiries, and are selling contracts like theres no tomorrow, BUT, they don't have any Desires in stock, and they are being very cagey as to when they WILL get them. It's looking like it'll be well into May. I've blogged about the 'fun' i've had here -

http://gadgetmosster.com/?p=35

So basically, if you want a Desire cheaply, eventually, at some point in the next few weeks, sign up with directly with Vodafone, if you want one ASAP, try somewhere like Mobile Phones Direct as they do seem to have them in stock and available on Voda contracts.

K