Diagnosing cause of frequent crashes

Guest barrybryce

Guest barrybryce

My super duper lovely wovely amazingly shiny HD2 has started to crash frequently.

It happens about once every 30-45 mins worth of time playing with the phone.

I haven't installed anything new that I hadn't used before immediately before the crashes started, can't see any pattern to them in terms of what I'm doing at the time, and am using the manufacturers ROM with only harmless tweaks (none recent).

It doesn't crash completely, it will still time out to the lock screen, and I can normally still unlock it (back to where it crashed).

I am quite good at closing applications I'm not using at that moment, so there should never be a massive drain on resources.

Last crashes have been during phone call, when browsing using Opera, when using NaviComputer, when using Google maps, when playing Solitaire, and when taking a photo. It's happened with GPS and Wi-Fi on and off, and when charging and not charging.

Any ideas for how I might go about finding out what's wrong?

Edited by barrybryce

Guest andybarker

If you don't already have it installed, I suggest you go to http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=583638 and install Duttys Task Manager.

This will allow you to easily check what is running at any time, and easily close apps. It also allows you to shut down an app by pressing and holding the X in the top left, as opposed to it simply minimising the app (which is the default behaviour).

Guest barrybryce

I'm already using it. When the phone crashes it's the whole phone that crashes, not just the application. I can't switch applications or use any of the hardware buttons.

Bizarrely though, after a few mins of not letting me do anything it locks, and it will also unlock and allow me to return to the same crashed state as it was in before!

Guest andybarker

If you get this from a hard reset (i.e. as it was when bought), then I would return it under warranty.

You could try disabling the TouchFlo, and use basic Windows Mobile options for a bit and see if that resolves it - as it sounds to me like the TouchFlo interface is locking up for some reason.

Other option would be to remove some of the TouchFlo tabs that you don't really need to try and narrow things down.

Guest Maxwell Newton

I have found my HD2 does this after a month or so, each time i hard reset it and everything is fine for another month. You could use PIMBACKUP and just reset it... only takes about 15 mins to reinstall everything. You could also look at a few custom ROMS as these are generally newer and with fixes, im just about to install a new ROM, hopefully it will solve this for me!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest barrybryce

Been ok after a hard reset - touch wood.

Curious, but at least it's not been too much of a problem for it's been a great phone - I love it to pieces!