Regedit findings - StartMenu order, StartMRU order, IE tweak

Guest madu

I am bored at work playing with regedit. There are some things I found and am rushing to let you know. So there will be more additions to the original post in future (i guess).

Here is what can be done (and i know how):

- Set maximum no. of messages in deleted folder

- Mesage store locations and storage files.

- IE settings like history length, max no. of images in history, cache length, zoom setting (?) and smooth scroll (just about to see what it does), dis/enable autodial and timeout etc

- Start menu order - explanation of why there are 5 items that appear first and in certain order. This can be easily changed.

- Start MRU order - basically when your phone is rebooted MRU resets to default - this is that - loving it!!

Key for last 2:

HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftShell

- Start folder of AllExplorer

- Erm... Still looking, but it is impressive.

As usual no guarantee (what for??) bla bla. By the way I actually cannot connect to any sites ATM, so maybe it's not such a good idea. Most things should work though. Sorry some regkey addresses are missing and I will update this when I test/find some more things.

I also tried to find an option which would let you set delivery report ON as default. No joy though...

Any contributions from other members are very welcome. And good luck!!

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

Theoretically you could change the inbox db filename in the registry, reboot, edit the inbox in some way and reset the reg back to normal, reboot, and have a full inbox bbackup, it now renaming problems ;).

I'm going to go play with the MRU keys now.

Theoretically you could change the inbox db filename in the registry, reboot, edit the inbox in some way and reset the reg back to normal, reboot, and have a full inbox bbackup, it now renaming problems ;).

EXACTLY!! That's what I was gonna incorporate into my next post on this topic. :wink:

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

I'm just editing my mru default locations, now i can have a nice tidy Start Menu _and_ no crappy file not found icons on my homescreen ;)

Monolithix, make sure to post your findings, I'd love to sort out these icons once and for all,

Kevlar

As posted in original:

Go to that location in registry and see for yourself - it is all selfexplanatory.

I am not sure what this does but:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlPower

It has 2 options:

- BattPowerOff

- ExtPowerOff

These are turned off (0) and I assume have to do with auto power off...

Just a thought..

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

Hmm, having some interesting results editing the MRU key.

Yes you can specify custom link locations, however I'm now getting an icon as shown below and a bunch of random ascii. This is always the same with any icon combination.

screen.jpg

I'm going to restore it back from the backup i made before playing and try again, but be a little more methodical this time ;)

Guest Thurstan

I've had a look - it's not self explanatory to me!

Sorry for being a dumbass, but how can I change what appears on the recently used bar as default when I reboot?

ok. I need help now. I altered the mru order, removed all the .lnk's except internet explorer and inbox. Worked great. Then I tried adding my own ( Taskmanager ) worked, but I got the folder with a chip on it icon as pictured in above post as well as the taskmanager icon/inbox icon/I.E. icon. So I removed the entry to go back to just inbox and I.E., now I have I.E. icon and the folder/chip icon. I hadn't backed up my registry so what can I do now ( don't say hard reset or use another layout without mru plug in ). Does anyone know why this icon appears?

hope you can help

Kevlar

kevlar i just did a similar thing to you, only i was just having a look i didn't mean to change anything but now when i switch my phone on it has folders with chip on them, i dont know what i changed everything looks normal. maybe i deleted a / or something without realising, anyone got suggestions?

could someone back up their reg key

and post it for me to import, is this possible?

if not would someone be able to post screen shots or details of this key please as i changed something (without meaning to :oops: ) in there and now my mru plugin doesnt work on any screen layout.

if i click on 5 different apps it populates the mru and it works fine but the original 5 icons are just displayed as folders with a chip on them when i 1st switch on the phone.

any help greatly appreciated thanks.

not much response to our cries for help yzbob, I think were are screwed. Something strange is going on here, there was definately nothing else in the list we altered, only app names and maybe location ( gamessolitare ).

I'm guessing there are invisible characters used which we have removed. I know nothing about programming but I've seen this mentioned in the posts about xml.

Can anyone help?

maybe the author of the reg program

Kevlar

I have found that you can export the key, and open it with notpad. Now, is there a way to show any hidden characters?.

please help all you inteligent coders out there!

Kevlar

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

I had a similar problem, i thought to back up my registry before pissing about with it first though, as you always should when altering it ;p.

I'll export the correct key and post it when its done.

-edit, er hmm. it seems phm removes the backup once you resetore it :/ Anyone got s backup they can send me? ;)

This is the exact contents of InitialOrder key for StartMRU when exported. It can be copied to notepad and saved as *.reg and I think can be run on SP to import into registry.

What you might have missed is the 2 empty fields at the end of the key "","" - maybe there are a certain number of link slots (7) that must be in the key to function well. In PHM it is just a new line (action key) which is empty.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftShellStartMRU]

"InitialOrder"=multi_sz:"GamesSolitaire.lnk","Internet Explorer.lnk","Calendar.lnk","Contacts.lnk","Inbox.lnk","",""

Try and let me know whether it solved your prob. as I don't use MRU and so have not tested yet. Have no time for playing with it these days - bloody work!!

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

Ah heh, i removed those extra blank lines thinking i'd added them accidentally heh.

/me plays...

edit- works a treat, i now have IE, SMS, Calendar, Settings, RegEdit, Task Manager, and ActiveSync as my boot defaults and no folder/chip icons ;) Note you have to put the first icon you want at the bottom of the list in the resgistry value.

Things are getting worse for me. Before seeing the last post, I got fed up with these chip icons, so I thought what if I delete the key altogether. I backed up the registry first so I could put it back if it didn't work. Deleted the key. Ok, Now i get no icons after rebooting, and they build up as I use apps. After seeing above post I thought I'd put the key back then edit it as above to make it work properly. Restored my registry, but the key is still missing. WTF? it was there before I backed up, I deleted it and later restored from earlier backup but it's still missing?. Seems I have 2 choices, live with it ( no icons at start up ) or hard reset.

anyone help?

Kevlar

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

Er, thats what you get for decimating your registry. Small methodical changes are usually more successful than removing huge great chunks.

What you're saying is that you removed then _entire_ StartMRU key? No wonder its gone tits up ;)

PM me at some point if you like and i'll export my StartMRU key and e-mail it you. I'm out of the office most of today but i'll be able to check at lunch and after 5ish.

When you create a key, it must be of a special type, in this case it is 'MULTI_SZ'

The "","" is the bit at the end of the key (exported .reg file). Every new line in the key in PHM when exported is shown as "link","link2" etc:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftShellStartMRU]

"InitialOrder"=multi_sz:"GamesSolitaire.lnk","Internet Explorer.lnk","Calendar.lnk","Contacts.lnk","Inbox.lnk","",""

So the last 2 (or as Monolithix found out - the first 2) are just "" meaning it is a _blank_ entry, that when is not included makes SP read it incorrectly. Hope I make it clear..

PS: If you need to restore your key (assuming u haven't deleted StartMRU folder) just create a new Value in the folder called InitialOrder and make it a MULTI_SZ type. Then in the 'Value data' field click 'right' (joystick) to enter editing mode (will take you to full screen editing), then enter link names (eg 'GamesSolitare.lnk' - without the ' chars.). After each entry hit Action key to take you to next line. There should be exactly 7 (!!) lines whether blank or with a link entered. Hope helps.

Thanks for the help guys, all I deleted was the actual bit you edit, called initial order. So I can recreate it?

Lets make sure I got this right, after intering each link, just press action to go to next line. Then, after last link has been entered, hit action a few more times to create blank lines? not "" quotation marks req'd?

cheers

Kevlar

No. No quotation marks needed. Just blank lines. So if you have 5 links, then hit action key 2 times to make it a total of 7 lines. Each entry must start on a new line, btw.

Guest xenolith

Just playing around with it, seems you can have as many as you like in the initial MRU so long as you have the last two entries in the list as ,"",""

;) :lol: :lol:

Cracked it!. Thanks for the help madukrainian & Monolithix, great stuff, would never have got that on my own, almost did a hard reset. I now have Inbox, I.E., Taskmanager, Settings and All Explorer as start up icons. One slight glitch though, sometimes the icon is wrong for taskmanager, I just rebooted 3 times, the first time the taskmanager icon came up as the ' information ' icon then after a few seconds changed to the correct icon on it's own. The second time the information icon came up and stayed there, but clicking on it brought up taskmanager anyway. The third reboot brought up the taskmanager icon straight away. WTF?

Anyway, very happy to have it working again.

cheers

Kevlar