Regedit findings - StartMenu order, StartMRU order, IE tweak

Guest madu

ahhhhhhhh, sorted! i didnt realise it had to be 7 lines that was my problem. when i went in to have a look at the key i must have deleted an empty line. i have made it up to 7 lines now and its back to normal.

now im going to BACK IT UP, and have a play to customise it.

thanks for all the help everyone

Whoo-hoo!!! Found something you might just ABSOLUTELY LOVE!!!

Remember the timeout period for backlite? Key timeout when texting? All those annoying sounds when a number is busy and you get a POP very loud in ur ear? Cannot do a discrete SMS coz it bleeps when you add a contact to send it to?? ETC...

Fear not!! All the settings can be found under

HKEY_CURRENT_USERControlPanel

I have only tested accessibility so far and set the value of key timeout to 0.4 instead of 0.5 seconds - works a treat!!

Please accept the usual disclaimer (you know what i'm talking about).

DO NOT TWEAK YOUR REGISTRY IF YOU DO NOT KNOW HOW TO DO THAT.

BACKUP YOUR REGISTRY BEFORE CHANGING ANY VALUES (EVEN IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING)

I really should'ave made that clear in my first post ;)

I have only tested accessibility so far and set the value of key timeout to 0.4 instead of 0.5 seconds - works a treat!!

What exactly does this do?

keep the reg tips coming :)

Kevlar

Guest HelloDave

Thanks for the info madukrainian! The sounds section looks useful for everyone try to make their phones truly silent. Is it possible to delete a sound entirely or does each key need some sort of entry?

The key timings are in accessibility options and the minimum you can set through there is 1/2sec. When you type a message w/out T9 or enter text anywhere in the phone the time it takes before the _ disappears under a letter and lets you input say A after B. Erm.. Hope I make sense.

The sounds appear to be in 2 formats .mid and .wav - if they cannot be removed completely (not sure, had no time to test) you can always create an empty mid/wav file to use as a 'dummy'.

Please be careful with registry - it has a tendency to take the piss :)

Watch it, those "backups" you create in PHM CANNOT be restored! Privledged Cert apps reserve the right todo that :) The only way to backup and restore your registry is todo an IPSM backup as described by the backup guide sticky in the main spv dicussion!

DJ Hope

I wondered why after deleting a key, then restoring the registry, the key didn't re-appear!, the restore didn't work!

Kevlar

Ps, come on guys, there must be lots of things we can tweak in the registry ( I'm too scared to try myself! :cry: )

There are _very_many_ things to tweak, but you must know which value to set for the kay. Most of keys/values are named as to what they control - but sometimes it is hard to figure out which value of the key does what.

So for example with things that can either be on or off the values are 1 and 0 respectively. But some of them use binary values like "A3 H0 00 D2" - that is when I have no clue as to what else it can be changed to.

Also, there are different type of keys - some being ESSENTIAL to system stability and some are just 'preference' type of entries. So if you modify something that dictates how the system starts up - that's ESSENTIAL and must be dealt with VERY carefully. Other things like sounds, timers and on/off switches that address your preferences - these (even if f***d up) will not kill your phone (don't take my word for it). ;)

And YES, we need to play with registry for a bit (frying the phone at some points) to figure it out. Or maybe some clever MS people could us a hint (Neil?). So untill I get my 256SD there's no way I am playing with 'essentials'. I need my phone ffs. :)

• 1 month later...
Guest Palindrome

There's nothing like delving into the guts of my phone for a bit of manual tweaking. The rush, the glamour, the shaking fingers. Need to get out more perhaps.

Anyway, I've suceeded in altering the initial bootup icons but I'm finding that the icons of the programs that I've installed that did not come with the phone are not the proper associated program icons until I click on them. At that point, when I return to the home screen, they are correct and sitting pretty.

Why? The two installed icons are PocketMVP and SP Task Manager. The icons that are first displayed straight after a boot look like the command icon in PC windows.

I anyone could help I would be gratefull.

Guest yzbob

have you tried the original home screens or home screens made by jay-z2k, i found that they worked ok. but i would like for all the home screens to work. i suppose it must be a problem in the xml of the home screens?

maybe jay-z2k could shed some light on the situation as he seems to be able to write home screens that don't display this problem.

what daya say J?

Guest Richie M

Are you guys using the MRU plug-in or the Orange Icon plug-in?

Orange one wont work properly, i think.

I've never had this problem with MRU :)

Guest kevlar

I have exactly the same problem, I use the Full layout, and have altered my initial mru to display inbox, IE, Smartexplorer, Taskmanager and settings. 9 times out of 10 after bootup smartexplorer and taskmanager icons are like the information icon. click on either one, then go back to homescreen and both have changed to correct icons. This has bugged me for ages, hope someone can work out how to fix it.

Kevlar

Guest yzbob

kevlar does it still happen to u when using xbox skin or brushed 2 made by jay-z2k. these skins seem to wok ok for me.

but i prefer a simple skin with just mru and sms indicator, anyone no of a simple skin with these features that doesn't display this problem.

p.s how do u find out how many posts you've made i recon my status should be changing soon?

Guest kevlar

I haven't tried the skins you mention, mainly because I don't know where to download the english versions from. most links posted to skins seem to go to that french site and I can never find the english version.

Kevlar

Guest Richie M
I have exactly the same problem, I use the Full layout, and have altered my initial mru to display inbox, IE, Smartexplorer, Taskmanager and settings. 9 times out of 10 after bootup smartexplorer and taskmanager icons are like the information icon. click on either one, then go back to homescreen and both have changed to correct icons. This has bugged me for ages, hope someone can work out how to fix it.

Kevlar

Just tried this on mine, MRU in Full Layout works fine, Smartexplorer2 & PocketMVP icons are fine :)

If you search for Jay-z2k posts in this forum you will find the english version ;)

Guest kevlar

Richie M, try rebooting a few times, and see if it works 100%, my icons come up correctly occasionally, but most of the time they come up as described above. I will try the skins mentioned.

Kevlar

Guest awarner [MVP]
some of them use binary values like "A3 H0 00 D2" - that is when I have no clue as to what else it can be changed to.

Binary? I thought it was Hexdecimal :)

At the end of the day you know more about the reg than I do ;)

Guest blade001

I really dont know wot i am doing wrong but the first icon of my MRU plugin never works. i tried chaging the short cut to a lot of things but i alwasy get a folder icon and when i click on it i get an error messages saying following file can not be found, please bla bla bla. this is getting really irrotating. i have tried restoring hte first short cut with one of the default one but still the first one wont work. please let me know if you know y its happening. and sorry about any spelling mistake that i have made so far and also sorry about the poor grammer. i am kinda in a harry and had to post this message b4 going to sleep.

Binary? I thought it was Hexdecimal :)

At the end of the day you know more about the reg than I do ;)

ERmmm.. That is probably what I wanted to say.. Damn those 0/1 switches in the reg!