Android 2.2 on the way

Guest cezent

Guest cezent

http://androidandme.com/2010/04/news/andro...es-do-you-want/

Looks like Nexus One will get some additional tricks up its sleeves. Among the features mentioned: Free additional RAM, Flash 10.1 support, Fixed problem with “crazy screen” / Resolution of cross multitouch, Enable FM radio

May 19th? Nice...;)

Edited by cezent

Guest Mantisen
http://androidandme.com/2010/04/news/andro...es-do-you-want/

Looks like Nexus One will get some additional tricks up its sleeves. Among the features mentioned: Free additional RAM, Flash 10.1 support, Fixed problem with “crazy screen” / Resolution of cross multitouch, Enable FM radio

May 19th? Nice...;)

Awesome find ;) Hopefully it's true, seeing how well the Froyo builds have been performing on linpack ;)

Guest N1Martian

I am dying to find out if the FM transmitter will be included. I have a hunch that it will, but I have been waiting to decide which car dock to get based on this information. Holding my breath starting..... now....

Guest bazzawhite

Well considering the Flash release for mobile phones has been delayed till second half of 2010 I doubt we will be getting 2.2 with Flash 10.1 anytime soon. As for Flash 10.1 beta I am not sure if Google will try and put a beta product on their release (could be wrong though).

Guest Nanu*1
Well considering the Flash release for mobile phones has been delayed till second half of 2010 I doubt we will be getting 2.2 with Flash 10.1 anytime soon. As for Flash 10.1 beta I am not sure if Google will try and put a beta product on their release (could be wrong though).

That was misquoted Flash 10.1 will be here for Android in the first half of 2010, the other devices will be hardware dependant for iPhone and BlackBerry etc! :-)

Guest Sylar2010

If google can fix battery hunger it will be the best thing ever!

And yes they can improve battery via FW...all my ex-SE phones had FW doing it (even up to 40% more)

Guest goalfish

Oh plz plz plz let it have FM tuner enabled on the N1 with this next update... This is the only thing that is stopping me from trading my N1 for a Desire right now... I know it might not affect other people as much but all my previous phones had it and now I'm resorted to carrying my mp3 player (with Fm tuner of course XD) and my N1 as well and that's quite a pocket full of gadgets to carry around...

Guest derekv6

I wonder if this update will come OTA and how it will play with CM 5.0.5.3 with R@ven's AVS kernel ;) I hope it works!! If anyone has any ideas about this not working please let me know asap!

Guest qvert

you wont get OTA updates after you changed your bootloader / rom this means you have to wait until CM creates a rom based on the android 2.2 sources and than flash it on your device

or flash the raw android 2.2 nexus one rom but you won't get it OTA

Guest cezent
you wont get OTA updates after you changed your bootloader / rom this means you have to wait until CM creates a rom based on the android 2.2 sources and than flash it on your device

or flash the raw android 2.2 nexus one rom but you won't get it OTA

Actually that's not quite true.

If you only unlock ur bootloader, u ll still get OTA notification and able to install;

If you unlock ur bootloader and install custom recovery image but still using stock ROM, then you ll get OTA notification but the ROM update will fail, you will need to wait for signed/repackaged update.zip to install with custom recovery image(which should come out earlier than OTA) ;

If you unlock ur bootloader,install custom recovery image, and installed custom ROM, then u wont get OTA notification and u ll need to install the updated stock/custom ROM if you want to use the newer version.

Edited by cezent

Guest cezent

The FM Radio feature is about the only thing that put N1 and Desire apart. if 2.2 release the radio function, N1 will have the latest firmware, all the hardware feature of Desire, and the flexibility of running Desire ROM 2.1+ senseUI, or stock 2.2.. very nice.

Edited by cezent

Guest Formel-LMS

Is it FM Transmitter or FM Transmitter?

Does the Nexus send then the Musik over FM or receive it radio stations?

I know, that the chip from nexus has an FM Tranmitter embedded.

Guest N1Martian
Is it FM Transmitter or FM Transmitter?

Does the Nexus send then the Musik over FM or receive it radio stations?

I know, that the chip from nexus has an FM Tranmitter embedded.

The nexus one contains a version of the BROADCOM BCM4329 chip. This is spec'd out to have both a transmitter and receiver built-in the hardware.

That being said, its entirely possible that froyo will come with drivers that enable one or the other, or both. As to the question of which does the HTC Desire have enabled--- I'm not entirely sure. But from what I can gather, it has the reciever enabled, but not the transmitter. I can only assume that enabling the transmitter has both EMI and power issues that need to be ironed out.

P.S. Good Question Formel-LMS. You know what really grinds my gears? When all these websites are harping about the hardware having an FM Transmitter, when they should be saying FM Transceiver. One more time altogether now - TRANSCEIVER. That is all.

Edited by N1Martian

Guest muncheese
I heard Cyanogen has got some new drivers from 2.2, specifically the driver for Wifi-N. If anyone knows what going on over there in XDA land, keep us updated.

Qulacomm put out new drivers about a week ago, cyanogen grabbed then, they are included in 5.0.6 rom. At the time he didn't know what was added to the drivers other than the fact they were new drivers.

The feature set of the drivers were just put out yesterday, or the day before that mention that N range on the wifi is supported.

So it's not techinally an "update" until the next OTA from google.

Guest neosrt
The FM Radio feature is about the only thing that put N1 and Desire apart. if 2.2 release the radio function, N1 will have the latest firmware, all the hardware feature of Desire, and the flexibility of running Desire ROM 2.1+ senseUI, or stock 2.2.. very nice.

Just FYI the Nexus also has another very big feature that seperates it from the desire the noise cancelling dual mic hardware keeps calls free of backround noise better calls equals better cell fmphone radio comes second I had a samsung i910 andd900i and I never used the fm radio feature ever, thats what 3g streaming radio is for Now HTc Sense is another ball game and much needed on the Nexus.

Guest Deathwish238
Just FYI the Nexus also has another very big feature that seperates it from the desire the noise cancelling dual mic hardware keeps calls free of backround noise better calls equals better cell fmphone radio comes second I had a samsung i910 andd900i and I never used the fm radio feature ever, thats what 3g streaming radio is for Now HTc Sense is another ball game and much needed on the Nexus.

Well apparently the Desire's call quality is only a little bit below the Nexus One's...so you wouldn't be losing much.

Still, if you want the latest Android updates...the Nexus One is a better choice. Although I personally prefer hardware keys and I like the trackball too.

Guest Lostwhiteboyy
Actually that's not quite true.

If you only unlock ur bootloader, u ll still get OTA notification and able to install;

If you unlock ur bootloader and install custom recovery image but still using stock ROM, then you ll get OTA notification but the ROM update will fail, you will need to wait for signed/repackaged update.zip to install with custom recovery image(which should come out earlier than OTA) ;

If you unlock ur bootloader,install custom recovery image, and installed custom ROM, then u wont get OTA notification and u ll need to install the updated stock/custom ROM if you want to use the newer version.

What if put everything back to stock form ROM and Recovery?

evan though the bootloader will still be unlocked.

Edited by Lostwhiteboyy