Editing wpa_supplicant.conf causes crash?

Guest seaders

Guest seaders

So after going through Paul's excellent guide for rooting my Desire, I did what I've wanted to do since I got the phone, put in the proper wireless settings (802.11x LEAP connection), which I've previously done on my Archos 5IT, which runs Android 1.6 without a problem, turn off wifi, put the device into Airplane mode, pull the file from't device, edit it, then push it back, out of Airplane, wifi on, boom, grand. Now though, I've made one or two edits to the file and when I push it back, it breaks the wifi. It won't turn on, it won't turn off and if I restart, it comes up only as "Unable to start wifi" and does nothing again.

Therefore, question is, is there any way that we can manually input wireless configs without breaking the wifi connector? I also tried "Wifi Helper" from the market (yeah, yeah, I know it says it doesn't work, but I thought I'd try it anyway!) and that didn't work either. Also, any idea why it is breaking, even with simple edits?

Guest seaders

just wanted to update this with a solution (even though not many people at all seem too interested...).

I'm not sure exactly what was causing my wifi manager to start crashing and becoming unstable, but I do know what's now fixed it. I stopped using adb pull and push and instead started using Root Explorer to edit the wpa_supplicant.conf file directly on the device, because there's a possibility that ownership or permissions were being messed up with the pull / push side of things.

so, after that, something that I've noticed is that the wpa_supplicant.conf file doesn't really like you plonking networks into it, willy-nilly (I think), you've gotta give it a bit more structure. anyway, this is now my file, with all the juicy bits taken out, but the config still good,

ctrl_interface=eth0

update_config=1

network={

ssid="<ssid>"

scan_ssid=1

key_mgmt=IEEE8021X WPA-EAP

auth_alg=OPEN SHARED

eap=LEAP

identity="<leap ID>"

password="<leap Password>"

priority=1

}

network={

ssid="<other ssid>"

psk="<other password>"

priority=2

}

this now has me connecting perfect to the 802.11x LEAP account in work, while also maintaining other networks I have saved from elsewhere. once again thanks Paul, for your excellent work :huh: