ROM'ing with a shield

Guest RexMundo

Guest RexMundo

Hi

I am familiar with Linux/unix etc but not with Android.

I just rooted my phone and noticed that, to apply patches, like a2sd etc you need to put it in a goldcard, remove battery etc.

Is this going to happen every time we need to flash a new ROM?

I am planning to stick a class 6 SD card, with 8-16GB after installing a2sd and then put an invisible shield over the phone.

I dont want to have to remove it every time I wanna put a new custom ROM.

Is there a way around it?

Could the 16GB card be a goldcard, and is there a way of putting zips on that card, without having to open the phone ?

(obviously through mounting as a drive on a PC but I dont know if that affects the "goldness" of the card!)

If I leave the gold card in the phone does it stop being a gold card if I put music on it etc??

Responses much appreciated.

G

Guest Odiebla
I am familiar with Linux/unix etc but not with Android.

I just rooted my phone and noticed that, to apply patches, like a2sd etc you need to put it in a goldcard, remove battery etc.

Is this going to happen every time we need to flash a new ROM?

As far as I know you only need the Goldcard for installing the new bootloader. I haven't tried installing the modified rom without it, but at least I was able to install a2sd from my normal SD card. I uploaded the zip via USB and started the phone in recovery mode.

Besides that, I read that any SD card can be a Goldcard, so why not make your $bigsd a goldcard?

Guest Frankish

That is exactly right. Provided the big SD is compatible then you can just use that bad boy as a GC and your regular storage solution.

That = no opening phone.

Guest Pyr0x64

also, there's no need to remove the invisible shield, you can still take the back cover off etc. with the shield applied

i did have a max coverage one on mine, but took it off after being disappointed with it

Edited by Pyr0x64

Guest waterc00l
That is exactly right. Provided the big SD is compatible then you can just use that bad boy as a GC and your regular storage solution.

That = no opening phone.

wtf i can use my goldcard as a regular "storage sd"? Even if i do some partitions for app2sd? or does the partitions ruin my goldcard?

I tell everyone they HAVE to buy a seperate card to make a goldcard lol?

Guest lanxton
wtf i can use my goldcard as a regular "storage sd"? Even if i do some partitions for app2sd? or does the partitions ruin my goldcard?

I tell everyone they HAVE to buy a seperate card to make a goldcard lol?

The only problem with using your goldcard as your regular storage device is having to load that exploit code from the master boot record of the sdcard every time you start the phone. Maybe that could have some unknown adverse effects on the phones performance. How hard is it to "undo" a goldcard? I know that a simple reformat of the sdcard is not enough.

Guest Xeronage
The only problem with using your goldcard as your regular storage device is having to load that exploit code from the master boot record of the sdcard every time you start the phone. Maybe that could have some unknown adverse effects on the phones performance. How hard is it to "undo" a goldcard? I know that a simple reformat of the sdcard is not enough.

Resetting the MBR on your SD-card is all there is to it. I think overwriting the same area with all null bytes should work. There is no harm in leaving it a goldcard.

Guest RexMundo

Thanks for all the reponses guys...

If I understand correctly...

a) I shouldn't need to use goldcard again anyway, unless I need to upload a new boot loader. Thus, custom roms etc, shouldnt need goldcard.

B ) I can have a partitioned SD card as gold card anyway...

c) I can remove back cover with an invisible shield as well.

Do you partition the card, then make it goldcard? Or before?

Also.. Pyr0x64, why did you not like the full coverage? What are you using now?

Thanks guys,

rex

Edited by RexMundo

Guest Pyr0x64

i partitioned my card after flashing/rooting my phone

i didn't like the rainbow-like colour distortions on my screen from the invisible shield

for now (until something better comes along) i'm using one of those nexus one flexishield skins that mobilefun sell for £10+... but i bought 2 on ebay for £2.50 inc p&p

for the screen, i have a cheap £2 protector (again, just for now...)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...e=STRK:MEWNX:IT

i've also got a krusell luna pouch, but don't like having to take the phone out all the time to use it

Guest RexMundo
i partitioned my card after flashing/rooting my phone

i didn't like the rainbow-like colour distortions on my screen from the invisible shield

for now (until something better comes along) i'm using one of those nexus one flexishield skins that mobilefun sell for £10+... but i bought 2 on ebay for £2.50 inc p&p

for the screen, i have a cheap £2 protector (again, just for now...)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...e=STRK:MEWNX:IT

i've also got a krusell luna pouch, but don't like having to take the phone out all the time to use it

Cool thanks. I bought a nexus flexshield as well. It looks nice. Might get the screen protector as well. Dont they cause a rainbow effect?