Photo

24/May r4 - HTC Legend rooting guide - Now with 1.31.x

* * * * * 4 votes

• Please log in to reply
663 replies to this topic

Poll: The Legend rooting poll (247 member(s) have cast votes)

Did you use this guide to root your HTC Legend?

1. Yessireee and it's great! (170 votes [68.83%])

Percentage of vote: 68.83%

2. No because i'm too scared! (41 votes [16.60%])

Percentage of vote: 16.60%

3. No because it didn't work! (36 votes [14.57%])

Percentage of vote: 14.57%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Peganos

Peganos

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

It fails with error [140]: bootloader version error :\

What version of the bootloader are you using? Which operating system do you use on your pc?

bbart

bbart

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

What version of the bootloader are you using? Which operating system do you use on your pc?

Bootloader version is 0.43.000001 and the OS is windows xp

azuro

azuro

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Devices:HTC Legend
Can I use a Ubuntu9.10. or do I have to download the ISO? thanks paul

Edited by azuro, 30 April 2010 - 12:58 PM.

bbart

bbart

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Can I use a Ubuntu9.10. or do I have to download the ISO? thanks

Paul's ISO contains all the necessary tools to root. You can also run it in a virtual machine if you don't want to burn the CD and reboot.

rodriguezstyle

rodriguezstyle

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Interests:good old SE Modder...
  • Devices:Legend on MoDaCoMoDrOm

I think u need a Gold Card tu use this Update...

Posted Image

HTC Legend Rodriguezstyle MoDaCoMoD Rom fast as hell!
http://forum.xda-dev...ad.php?t=679122

Peganos

Peganos

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
So.. Here is the complete way how I rooted my 1.31 vodafone branded Legend:

1. I create a goldcard with this guide http://theunlockr.co...ate-a-goldcard/ (But without a sd-card-adapter - And don't forget to enable USB-Debuging)
2. Started with the rooting guide from paul:
2.1 "Burn the ISO you downloaded above to a CD and boot it, or boot it in a virtual machine." - I burned a cd and used a physical maschine
2.2 "Press enter when prompted to load Linux. When it has loaded, click the little 'monitor' icon at the bottom of the screen to open a terminal window." Nothing else to say - just do it
2.3 "Turn off your HTC Legend, then turn it back on with the 'back' button held down. You'll see 'FASTBOOT' written on the screen in a red box. Connect the phone to the computer." - Did it liked descriped
2.4 "In the terminal window, enter the following commands" - see on page 1
2.5 "When this step has completed, using the optical trackball, navigate to the 'BOOTLOADER' and then 'RECOVERY' option on the menu, using the volume buttons to move and the power button to select. Then, again in the terminal window, enter the following commands:" In my way the optical trackball did not work in the "fastboot-menu" only volume up/down and the power button can be used.
2.6 "When this has completed, your device should be at the 'recovery' screen. Select the 'wipe' option, then select the option to apply an update zip from sdcard, and select 'rootedupdate.zip'. This will take a little while, so go make a nice cup of tea. When the flash has finished, reboot, and you are DONE!" - So, exactly here were my problems. I saw the recovery menu, I wiped (which worked fine) and after that I wanted to install the rootupdate.zip. Everytime I tried it the installation aborted after some seconds. First I thought the rootupdate.zip file could be corrupt, but there is no way to copy another one :-(
So I downloaded the RUU-ROM (link is on page 2) and installed it:
2.7.1 Power off your phone and boot in into the fastboot menu
2.7.2 Connect your device with your windows pc
2.7.3 Run the *.exe File and follow the instructions on the screen - Normally your phone should get a progress bar on the display
2.7.4 After finishing this progress - Restart your phone (You can check your rom version under Settings - Telephone info - Software info)

And that's the way how I downgraded my phone to 1.23 - Stock version.
After the downgrade I started with the rooting guide from paul again (this time without creating a goldcard) and it worked.

Peganos

Peganos

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Did you tried it?

bbart

bbart

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Yes I've tried with two different goldcards

So.. Here is the complete way how I rooted my 1.31 vodafone branded Legend:

Thank you Peganos, I'll try again

Peganos

Peganos

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Hmm.. Just try it the way I did - I think it should work.

loonsy

loonsy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
Will I still have sense ui after rooting?

bbart

bbart

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Yep

Peganos

Peganos

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Yes, you will.

rodriguezstyle

rodriguezstyle

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Interests:good old SE Modder...
  • Devices:Legend on MoDaCoMoDrOm
so... i try to Downgrade with a fresh Goldcard but nothing works... is it possieble to Downgrade without RUU ??? i will try a stock rom as zip on Goldcard but not exist..?! maybe after that works Pauls tut for me and the other guys with that problem here

Posted Image

HTC Legend Rodriguezstyle MoDaCoMoD Rom fast as hell!
http://forum.xda-dev...ad.php?t=679122

KL君

KL君

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
I got some news, one buddy in my chat group, the version of his legend is 1.31.708.2 (Sell to HongKong and Taiwan). He can root the legend, but the system became unstable. Mine is 1.31.707.2 (Sell to other Asia country), still cannot be rooted.

Turki.a

Turki.a

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Many thanks Paul, truly brilliant.

The root process will NOT...

* enable you to flash your device with a custom recovery image that can be launched easily by just holding down the volume down button when powering on
* enable you to have write access to the /system partition in normal use of the device

My goal in rooting Legend is to to be able to replace fonts in /system/fonts with custom ones to support my language, will I be able to do that after I root Legend using your instructions?

Thanks & Regards.

Warrior Of Ice

Warrior Of Ice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
Yeahhh!!! Paul yo´re the man.
My Legend is rooted, i´m very happy.
Thank you very much for your job.

excpro

excpro

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

The root process will...

• flash your device with a new, generic 1.23.405.1 based ROM that has Superuser access (i'll be updating this to the 1.31 ROM series shortly - OTA updates will fail to apply)
  • show you how to enter the recovery image in future, allowing you to flash update zips
The root process will NOT...
  • enable you to flash your device with a custom recovery image that can be launched easily by just holding down the volume down button when powering on
  • enable you to have write access to the /system partition in normal use of the device
Both of these limitations are being worked on of course. :huh:

Can anyone explain this section to me? i don really get it. Sorry im a noob at these.

SimoxTa

SimoxTa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
once i click on recovery, (just before step 2), my device shows an exclamation mark with a triangle and i have to remove the battery to reboot, i suppose that isn't normal, but is this related to the issues of this procedure or is caused by anything else? (by the way trying to launch the step 2 i get the error "device not found" like all the others)

Edited by SimoxTa, 30 April 2010 - 05:19 PM.

Peganos

Peganos

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

so... i try to Downgrade with a fresh Goldcard but nothing works... is it possieble to Downgrade without RUU ??? i will try a stock rom as zip on Goldcard but not exist..?! maybe after that works Pauls tut for me and the other guys with that problem here

I don't know if this works.. What was your problem at the downgrade? And a goldcard is not needed for the downgrade by RUU. Please write me the steps you did - You'll get the fastest response by twitter.

Warrior Of Ice

Warrior Of Ice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
i´ve roote already, but the OTA to 1.31 doesn´t works.
when the legend boot and install, in the screen are a red simbol and restart without update.
Has anyone the RUU of 1.31 update?
i´ve a RUU file of shipped rom but say incorrect id.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users