2.1 Update Pushed Back To August!

Guest tdohappens

of course he's joking

it was actually pushed back to september ... 2011

this is fun until we hear the official news of the delay. it may be august but my guess is "by the end of july"

does anyone think that hero is getting froyo instead of eclair?

Guest venturerider
of course he's joking

this is fun until we hear the official news of the delay. it may be august but my guess is "by the end of july"

I'm done with all the speculation. For my use, VillainROM 5.3 gives me all I need. HTC can go screw themselves.

This is why I bought an Android phone, btw. So I didn't have to wait on the manufacturer for updates. So far it's working out great ;-)

Edited by venturerider

of course he's joking

I doubt froyo will come to the Hero, it looks like its too memory hungry for the Desire and Magic. The Desire has double the memory of the Hero and if 2.2 can't run in that memory, then there will be no hope for Hero 2.2

Android 2.2 release mid May?

Guest zorm
I doubt froyo will come to the Hero, it looks like its too memory hungry for the Desire and Magic. The Desire has double the memory of the Hero and if 2.2 can't run in that memory, then there will be no hope for Hero 2.2

Android 2.2 release mid May?

That article states 2.2 might be too memory hungry for the Dream & Magic. It doesn't mention the Desire. That said, the Magic has a similar spec to Hero. OTOH, if 2.1 will run on it I'm not sure why 2.2 wouldn't, based on the leaked feature set.

Edited by zorm

Guest maddiez

Dear HTC Hero Users,

Android Froyo (2.2) update for Hero will be released on December 21st, 2012. We can promise that there will be no delaying anymore.

Yours faithfully,

That article states 2.2 might be too memory hungry for the Dream & Magic. It doesn't mention the Desire. That said, the Magic has a similar spec to Hero. OTOH, if 2.1 will run on it I'm not sure why 2.2 wouldn't, based on the leaked feature set.

Oops, misread the article sorry.

I think its because 2.2 will include flash 10 which may run too slowly and too bloated for Hero.

Guest cezent
Oops, misread the article sorry.

I think its because 2.2 will include flash 10 which may run too slowly and too bloated for Hero.

No, 1.6, 2.0, 2.1, 2.2, 3.0....are all far too much for Hero, because we Hero users are apparently all cheapskate bastards who refuse to change to a new HTC handset every 3 month.

Guest zorm

I'd be happy with 2.2 & either unusable Flash or the Flash component ripped out. It would be a shame to miss out on a lot of the clean up 2.2 seems to be offering, including a reliable JIT DVM & Google's ongoing modularisation..

Guest xangma
Who knows? It could just be another prankster playing games on the net, although it does look official, why only show a photo of the document on a screen? There is no confirmation from official sources on this....continue waiting and fingers crossed this time... :P

I heard on XDA it's not real.

genius

Oh well, a few people laughed at least. The way things are going it seems more prophecy than joke situation assessment though, I do admit.

I am half expecting / worrying about a ROM that runs so badly that we won't want it anyway...

Edited by Guest

Guest Dan Mullen
Oh well, a few people laughed at least. The way things are going it seems more prophecy than joke situation assessment though, I do admit.

I am half expecting / worrying about a ROM that runs so badly that we won't want it anyway...

I've tried a few 2.1 ROMs, the best being VillainROM 5.5 IMHO. Although there are some nice apps that need Android 1.6+, and there are some nice features in Android 2.1, I'm sticking with MCR3.2 until Paul gets hold of an official 2.1 ROM to work with. None of the 2.1 ROMs out there are bug free - the main issue for me is that I can't connect my phone to my car via Bluetooth.

Yes, 2.1 is nice... but I think quite a lot of people will feel it's a bit of an anti-climax when it finally arrives!

Guest dr_ysp
hahahaha, i found this one funny :P

thanks for the scare :D

but WHEN is it really coming?

its a joke but honestly i think it has gone in q2, says engadget.

Guest ikamatos

Just got this from HTC.

Kindly be informed that HTC will be providing a free update to Éclair for European HTC Hero variants. Starting in June, anyone owning an HTC Hero will receive an initial preparatory update, shortly followed by the full Éclair update. For the full update, we would recommend using a free Wi-Fi hotspot or an unlimited data plan, otherwise standard data charges may apply, please note that we apologize for the inconvenience, however it will require some time to update Sense for this new version of the Android OS. Please be patient while we work to provide you with a tightly integrated experience like the one you are already enjoying on your Hero. Please note that the information above is confirmed for HTC branded devices not network branded ones if your handset is network branded, kindly contact the network operator for further information.