[HOWTO] Unroot your HTC Desire

Guest 42turkeys

Guest 42turkeys

WARNING! You do this at your own risk. DO NOT hold me responsible if this bricks your phone due to user error!

Howto: Unroot your HTC Desire to stock.

Downloads

Latest FroYo RUU

Other RUUs Avalible Here

You will need:

1. HTC Sync (For Drivers)
  2. The Download Above
  3. A Windows PC
  4. A Goldcard (Not required for generic HTC Desires)
  5. An HTC Desire :huh:
The Guide:
  1. Make sure your goldcard is in your phone (If Required)
  2. Turn your Desire on
  3. Connect it to a Windows PC
  4. Run the HTC RUU
  5. Let it run
  6. & YOUR DONE! :P
Yes it really is that simple as these are Official RUUs from HTC.

You can use it to return your phone for warranty purposes!

Edited by 42turkeys

Guest 42turkeys

CHANGELOG:

r3 - Added correct 0.80 bootloader option

r2 - Added other RUUs from the stock roms thread

r1 - Initial Release

Edited by 42turkeys

Guest lanxton

How do you know if your phone is "generic" or not? Are we looking for a specific version of something? Do all provider based phones have different versions from the "generic" version?

Guest 42turkeys
How do you know if your phone is "generic" or not? Are we looking for a specific version of something? Do all provider based phones have different versions from the "generic" version?

Most providers edit the rom in some way like preinstalling some apps or a boot screen that says 'T-Mobile' or stuff like that. The generic rom is what you would get if you bought it unlocked from somewhere like Amazon or eXpansys. Some providers just give you the Generic Rom though. Post your ROM number & someone will tell you if it is Generic.

Guest charlie_boy

does this seem trustworthy?

http://ineedfile.com/htc-desire-tmobile-ruu

It seems dodgy to me, every time I click on one of those tmobile desire RU links I go to a different page and they all want payment for membership before you can download. I am getting a bit desperate now.

Edited by charlie_boy

Guest Kehaan

Hello

My version is the following:

It have been brought in Denmark at 3.

Is it a version that need goldcard?

Thanks.

From Kehaan

Guest 42turkeys
does this seem trustworthy?

http://ineedfile.com/htc-desire-tmobile-ruu

It seems dodgy to me, every time I click on one of those tmobile desire RU links I go to a different page and they all want payment for membership before you can download. I am getting a bit desperate now.

That is not trustworthy at all, there are no T-Mobile RUUs and if there were they would be on the T-Mobile support site.

Do Not download it & Do Not flash it!! :huh:

If you have the nordic Desire version, is this .exe file also okey then?

You can flash this but you may need a goldcard.

My version is the following:

It have been brought in Denmark at 3.

Is it a version that need goldcard?

Your device is a generic one, so you don't need a goldcard to flash this or to root it.

Guest thephreak

When i try to do this it keeps returning with an error about the USB connection. The strange thing is it shuts down my desire then its starts searching for a bootloader and gives the above error while phone only show the HTC logo.

any ideas ?

NVM it worked, my phone had its debugging feature enabled.

Edited by thephreak

Guest Kehaan
That is not trustworthy at all, there are no T-Mobile RUUs and if there were they would be on the T-Mobile support site.

Do Not download it & Do Not flash it!! :huh:

You can flash this but you may need a goldcard.

Your device is a generic one, so you don't need a goldcard to flash this or to root it.

Hey

How can you see it is a generic one from that number? Thanks, just curious.

From kehaan

Guest 42turkeys
Hey

How can you see it is a generic one from that number? Thanks, just curious.

From kehaan

I know because that's the ROM number of the Generic rom that's in the Unroot guide. The providers usually change the rom number to avoid confusion. I know this was the case with the Hero anyway so I assume it would be the same.

Guest Kehaan

EDIT: Sorry was a little too much off topic, have reposted in the Desire root thread :huh:

From Kehaan

Edited by Kehaan

Guest 42turkeys
Hello.

Thanks for your help. (Off topic question: To use App2SD i need the goldcard, right? Or can i also install that without the goldcard?, I have just downloaded the img in the root guide, Linux is needed? Or can i do it in OSX instead? Thanks and sorry for the off topic questions, but looks like you know a lot about it :huh:)

From Kehaan

Have you rooted already?

Please could you repost in the desire root thread & I will answer you there to avoid this going horribly off topic! :P

Edited by 42turkeys

Guest 42turkeys
Restored stock without any problems, works fine!

Please can you tell me what bootloader version number you have after unrooting by holding power & back to switch on. There will be a number at the top saying HBOOT: <Version Number>

Guest Rdy2Go
You can use it to return your phone for warranty purposes for a Generic Device.

You MAY OR MAY NOT be able to return for warranty for T-Mobile, Orange ect. But please report your experiences below.

As long as bootloader wasn't updated to newer version!

I suggest you add this information to the first post.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Guest 42turkeys
As long as bootloader wasn't updated to newer version!

I suggest you add this information to the first post.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

you should be able to return for warranty a Generic Device as it is an Official HTC RUU. Carrier supplied ones I am unsure about.

Guest Rdy2Go
you should be able to return for warranty a Generic Device as it is an Official HTC RUU. Carrier supplied ones I am unsure about.

I've got generic one, but it's impossible to flash back RUU even if it's signed after the bootloader was updated to the latest version.

Guest 42turkeys
I've got generic one, but it's impossible to flash back RUU even if it's signed after the bootloader was updated to the latest version.

Good point. If this is bootloader 0.75 it wont work for people with 0.80 bootloaders. I need someone to check for me who's flashed it.

Guest Rdy2Go
Good point. If this is bootloader 0.75 it wont work for people with 0.80 bootloaders. I need someone to check for me who's flashed it.

Yes - no way to downgrade from 0.8 to 0.75.

I tried to downgrade myself (from 0.8) and it says the boot loader versions are not compatible or something like this.

Guest 42turkeys
Yes - no way to downgrade from 0.8 to 0.75.

I tried to downgrade myself (from 0.8) and it says the boot loader versions are not compatible or something like this.

I've added a big post underneath saying 'Have you rooted your desire?' 'We Need YOU!' :huh:

Guest Rdy2Go

0.80 ROM cannot be downgraded to 0.75 (bootloader) - checked it myself