[HOWTO] Unroot your HTC Desire

Guest 42turkeys

Guest mardox

ok, i NEED to unroot my device to beable to return it because i have the usb problem, i cant get in contact with my microsd or usb except for in fastboot. so i was told to enter fastboot plug in usb, it then sais "fastboot usb". i run the generic ruu after that but it sais that it failed retrieving image becasue of to many links, but i went on pressing the upgrade button because it still gave me that choice so i figured it would still work. when pressing upgrade button the ruu screen closes and now nothing has happend the last 20 minutes. i still have my device plugged inte the computer because i dont know if it is safe to remove. i did however notice that i cant navigate in fastboot menu using volume rocker anymore ..

so what do i do? safe to remove device? and how should i proceed to flash generic rom?

Guest ejv93

Hey everybody,

I have a small doubt. I see the link for the 0.8 bootloader is a RUU exe and I already have a goldcard. I was scrolling down the thread and cant find anyone that has tried it. I have the orange rom and want to debrnad it to a generic htc one.

Will this work? Would i technically just be able to connect my htc desire with the goldcard inside and run the exe and let it work so that my 0.8 bootloader desire is flashed with a generic rom?

Or is this intended for something else? the unroot thing is catching me out.

Guest NOFX
ok, i NEED to unroot my device to beable to return it because i have the usb problem, i cant get in contact with my microsd or usb except for in fastboot. so i was told to enter fastboot plug in usb, it then sais "fastboot usb". i run the generic ruu after that but it sais that it failed retrieving image becasue of to many links, but i went on pressing the upgrade button because it still gave me that choice so i figured it would still work. when pressing upgrade button the ruu screen closes and now nothing has happend the last 20 minutes. i still have my device plugged inte the computer because i dont know if it is safe to remove. i did however notice that i cant navigate in fastboot menu using volume rocker anymore ..

so what do i do? safe to remove device? and how should i proceed to flash generic rom?

I have the same problem as you - hopefully someone can help us!!!

Guest zomig

If i wanted to unroot my device which flash file should i use as the first post say if you have bootloader 0.80 (which I have) then to use the asia rom, I need to be able to flash the o2 UK rom but this is listed under 0.75 boot loader. Is this correct as just got my o2 desire and the bootloader is def 0.80 and the rom I am pretty sure was v1.20 before i rooted.

Are the roms listed on the first post able to be flashed to the 0.80 bootloader as well ?

Thanks

Guest nox0405
If i wanted to unroot my device which flash file should i use as the first post say if you have bootloader 0.80 (which I have) then to use the asia rom, I need to be able to flash the o2 UK rom but this is listed under 0.75 boot loader. Is this correct as just got my o2 desire and the bootloader is def 0.80 and the rom I am pretty sure was v1.20 before i rooted.

Are the roms listed on the first post able to be flashed to the 0.80 bootloader as well ?

Thanks

You are lucky you have 0.75 for your bootloader,I have using 0.80 to root my desire and now I am not able to flash back to stock room anymore, even I have tried to follow the unroot method dtill not working, and I have tried to ask for help and no people can help at all, I think the unroot method on the post is not helpful at all. Even on this forum not body can give any method to unroot 0.80 bootloader.

Guest zomig
You are lucky you have 0.75 for your bootloader,I have using 0.80 to root my desire and now I am not able to flash back to stock room anymore, even I have tried to follow the unroot method dtill not working, and I have tried to ask for help and no people can help at all, I think the unroot method on the post is not helpful at all. Even on this forum not body can give any method to unroot 0.80 bootloader.

I don't have 0.75 I have 0.80 as stated, i don't need to unroot but it would be nice to know if it can be done with the stock o2 rom, the post on the first page lists the o2 rom under 0.75 boot which I am not sure is correct as I had v1.20 on mine before i rooted with 0.80 boot loader. It's probably that the rom for 0.80 on o2 is not available for public download yet.

Edited by zomig

Guest nox0405
I don't have 0.75 I have 0.80 as stated, i don't need to unroot but it would be nice to know if it can be done with the stock o2 rom, the post on the first page lists the o2 rom under 0.75 boot which I am not sure is correct as I had v1.20 on mine before i rooted with 0.80 boot loader. It's probably that the rom for 0.80 on o2 is not available for public download yet.

I tried to flash the Asia WWE Rom which also got bootloader 0.80, and I have been told using this Rom to unroot it, and not working at all, so I tried to ask for help but nobody reply me at all even Modaco(paul), this is the unroot method which I been told but not work and those guy dont even come out to help sorting the problem at all. I am really struggle now. I need to unroot back for warrenty purpose.

Guest NOFX

Solved it!!!!

I kept getting the error, but also kept changing my USB-ports and running the unroot-RUU file from this thread.

I kept coming a little further each time, and after about 10 times - success!

I'm sending in my Desire for repair now - hopefully I'll get a new one :). At least now I've done all I can!

Guest NOFX
Solved it!!!!

I kept getting the error, but also kept changing my USB-ports and running the unroot-RUU file from this thread.

I'm sending in my Desire for repair now - hopefully I'll get a new one :). At least now I've done all I can!

BTW - this IS the Danish RUU as well. Just checked with my friend - he has the exact same ROM on his non-rooted device.

Guest mardox

NOFX , if i understand you correctly i should also get it to work i just need to try other usb port / computer? was that all you did to get it to work?

if so i will unroot mine next week, will give the devs this week on them to try to fix it :) it's just a matter of time before they know how to.

Guest Kurito

I also have a .80 bootloader and I'm unable to return to a stock ROM. I tried every single one including the proper one for my Desire (O2 Germany 1.20). I also tried to extract the ROMs from the corresponding RUUs in order to flash them via fastboot.

Unfortunately, I'm always getting error 46 (main version error or something like that). I believe we're out of luck and have to wait and hope. I mean, it's not like the MCRs aren't great, but in case that we need to rely on the warranty...

Greetings,

Kurito

Guest nox0405
Solved it!!!!

What kind of error do you get? error 140 with wrong bootloader veresion error?

Guest NoMercyWWE

@42turkeys

please edit the first post

the 0.8 unroot doesn't work and the 1.19er htc asia_wwe shows ever error 140

here the same problem

regards

Guest nox0405
@42turkeys

please edit the first post

the 0.8 unroot doesn't work and the 1.19er htc asia_wwe shows ever error 140

here the same problem

regards

I think who ever root their Desire with 0.80 bootloader can not able to unroot back because I find out that the forum leader(paul)and the topic starter(42turkeys) didnt even tried to unroot their desire with 0.80 bootloader and give out the uroot method, I think he thought it is the same as 0.75 bootloader version. I believe those people give the wrong information and never trying to solve just given out the mehtod which they think it is the same. Those people didnt even telling people that if using 0.80 bootloader to root, you will never able to unroot back, so those people just given out root method but dont even given a warning. Unhappy

Edited by nox0405

Guest ccitt
Thanks for this, updated now. Sorry about that I thought that the htc Asia one was a 0.80 bootloader! :rolleyes: You can defo unroot as long as you use a RUU for your bootloader.

I buy Desire from Clove, the system version is from 1.15.405.3 to 1.15.405.4 over OTA, and I flash the desire to 1.19.707.5 by using Goldcard, and then rooted according to the 0.80 root guide. To get official update to Froyo, flash the desire to 1.21.405.2 with RUU software and USB connection.

I do not know how about 1.21 root and unroot result, anyone knows?

Guest kamidadevil

Guys I have bootloader 0.75 I have rooted my desire with a2sd + dalvik installed, I am really afraid of getting my desire bricked, Can someone plz tell me can I run this RUU to unroot,

RUU_Bravo_hTC_Asia_WWE_1.19.707.6_Radio_32.36.00.28U_4.06.00.02_2_rel_124362.exe because im not sure which bootloader does it have

also do i need to format my 8GB sd card which is also my gold card before running the ruu it has (64mb swap, 1024mb ext3).

if yes then how should i format it i.e through recovery or by card reader??

Edited by kamidadevil

Guest ccitt
Guys I have bootloader 0.75 I have rooted my desire with a2sd + dalvik installed, I am really afraid of getting my desire bricked, Can someone plz tell me can I run this RUU to unroot,

RUU_Bravo_hTC_Asia_WWE_1.19.707.6_Radio_32.36.00.28U_4.06.00.02_2_rel_124362.exe because im not sure which bootloader does it have

also do i need to format my 8GB sd card which is also my gold card before running the ruu it has (64mb swap, 1024mb ext3).

if yes then how should i format it i.e through recovery or by card reader??

I never do a2sd, so I really do not know this unroot result. Maybe you can google more info or ask some experts in the forum.

Guest afiorillo
Guys I have bootloader 0.75 I have rooted my desire with a2sd + dalvik installed, I am really afraid of getting my desire bricked, Can someone plz tell me can I run this RUU to unroot, [...]

If you've managed to successfully root your Desire, you're now safe until you attempt a new flash via the Recovery Console. So just enjoy your rooted device.

Guest kamidadevil

thanks for clearing that up afiorillo, but i guess when froyo rom is released for desire I will not be able to hold myself from flashing, so I was thinking if I just unroot my device and wait till HTC release official update.

by the way can you please tell my what is the boot loader in the ROM i posted above, and do i need to format my sdcard if yes then through recovery or card reader?

Guest 42turkeys
thanks for clearing that up afiorillo, but i guess when froyo rom is released for desire I will not be able to hold myself from flashing, so I was thinking if I just unroot my device and wait till HTC release official update.

by the way can you please tell my what is the boot loader in the ROM i posted above, and do i need to format my sdcard if yes then through recovery or card reader?

Just use the Generic RUU from the first post if you really have to downgrade. You don't need to format your SD card but you will need a goldacrd if your Desire is carrier supplied.

Guest kamidadevil
Just use the Generic RUU from the first post if you really have to downgrade. You don't need to format your SD card but you will need a goldacrd if your Desire is carrier supplied.

ok and what about the 1GB a2sd partition would it be recovered automatically, coz right now i cant see that partition in memory options.

Guest afiorillo

@kamidadevil, I continue to not see the point for you to downgrade/unroot your Desire. You risk nothing by using a rooted device, while have the advantages of it. So, why risk a new flash? True, it's a RUU flash so no recovery console is involved, but is always a flash. :rolleyes:

When a stable FroYo ROM will came out from this forum, you won't be able to retain yourself from flashing it, trust me. :D "Hiding" behind an unroot won't be sufficient, not for me anyway. :(