[NEW APP] In-App Wifi Toggle

Guest HaggleLad

Guest HaggleLad

I've just released my first app to the market. I would appreciate if some people could test it for me on different Android versions/phones?

"In-App Wifi Toggle"

Once installed you can enable or disable your Wifi connection instantly from any context (ie in the Browser application, from the home screen) by either

i) Long pressing the Search button

ii) Pressing the Call button

This doesn't interrupt your current application and a nice toast message is displayed stating whether the Wifi connection was enabled or disabled.

I wrote this app because I was fed up of launching an app, realising it would benefit from Wifi being enabled, having to return to the home screen, activate Wifi with the Power Control widget, long press the home button and select the app again to return. This app bypasses all of that with a single button press and doesn't interupt the application you're already in.

Would appreciate your feedback! Thanks!

Will hopefully add a broadcast receiver to wire up the camera button in the next release for those that don't have a search or call button.

Edited by HaggleLad

Guest HaggleLad

Thanks for your feedback guys, much appreciated and glad its working as expected.

roscoe141, I am planning on adding GPS and Bluetooth versions of the app ASAP. Will keep you posted.

I've also managed to wire it up to a long press of the call button for G1 users etc that don't have a search key, will be releasing this to the market soon.

Guest roscoe141
Thanks for your feedback guys, much appreciated and glad its working as expected.

roscoe141, I am planning on adding GPS and Bluetooth versions of the app ASAP. Will keep you posted.

I've also managed to wire it up to a long press of the call button for G1 users etc that don't have a search key, will be releasing this to the market soon.

Further feedback. After installing it last night I've used it 4 times today already. Much needed short cut for my uses. :P

Guest short/y

This is a small app but it's a BIG help to me. Is there some place I can make a donation?

Guest HaggleLad

short/y: Wow, thank you for the kind offer, I will consider adding a donate version of my app and get back to you. This was a very easy app to put together once I'd sussed out Eclipse and the SDK etc. I wrote it since it was a feature that I knew I would personally benefit from and once I was done I thought I'd share it with everyone.

roscoe141: I've been looking into the GPS toggle app and unfortunately it may not be as easy as I first thought. For some reason Android doesn't want app's to directly be able to enable or disable the GPS setting. A lot of the GPS toggle apps out there seem to shortcut to the settings page which makes life a little easier but its still more clicks than is desirable. I'm sure this must be possible some way however since I am running "Setting Profiles" (recommended BTW) and this is able to toggle the GPS setting when I change profile on my Nexus One. I have emailed the development team to ask how they do but I'm not confident they will share their source code given its a paid app. I will just have to wait and see.

Guest waterc00l
short/y: Wow, thank you for the kind offer, I will consider adding a donate version of my app and get back to you. This was a very easy app to put together once I'd sussed out Eclipse and the SDK etc. I wrote it since it was a feature that I knew I would personally benefit from and once I was done I thought I'd share it with everyone.

roscoe141: I've been looking into the GPS toggle app and unfortunately it may not be as easy as I first thought. For some reason Android doesn't want app's to directly be able to enable or disable the GPS setting. A lot of the GPS toggle apps out there seem to shortcut to the settings page which makes life a little easier but its still more clicks than is desirable. I'm sure this must be possible some way however since I am running "Setting Profiles" (recommended BTW) and this is able to toggle the GPS setting when I change profile on my Nexus One. I have emailed the development team to ask how they do but I'm not confident they will share their source code given its a paid app. I will just have to wait and see.

would the gps toggle work on rooted phones? or same problem then?

installed today the power widget from the market, they have f.e. the mentioned gps shortcut to the settings page ...

Guest HaggleLad
would the gps toggle work on rooted phones? or same problem then?

installed today the power widget from the market, they have f.e. the mentioned gps shortcut to the settings page ...

I think it probably would work on a rooted phone yes but I've no idea how to hook into this. I've only just started write regular apps. Basically the library to update the GPS setting is the "Settings.Secure" class and it only allows read only access to non-native apps.

http://developer.android.com/reference/and...ngs.Secure.html

Sorry are you saying that the "Power Widget" app can toggle GPS directly or redirects to the "Location & Secuirity" settings page?

Guest Sh4d0w940

There is an gps toggle widget wich allows changing gps on and off for root users.

Search the market for gps toggle widget, it is an great widget :P

Guest roscoe141
There is an gps toggle widget wich allows changing gps on and off for root users.

Search the market for gps toggle widget, it is an great widget :P

But does it work "in app"?

Guest HaggleLad

I've just uploaded a new version to add long press of Call/Green button for G1 users.

Can someone please confirm that the update installs successfully as I'm not 100% I managed to signed the package correctly? Would really appreciate confirmation. Thx

Guest short/y
I've just uploaded a new version to add long press of Call/Green button for G1 users.

Can someone please confirm that the update installs successfully as I'm not 100% I managed to signed the package correctly? Would really appreciate confirmation. Thx

Seems to have installed correctly on my Nexus One and it toggles fine. Don't know if it's actually tied in to the call button on the G1 because I no longer have mine :P

Guest HaggleLad

Excellent thanks, was panicking for a minute there when it came up as "Package Not Singed Correctly" on my phone. Have subsequently worked out that was because I had an unsigned version running on my phone I installed earlier.

Guest HaggleLad

Hi all,

I've been beavering away coding "In-App Bluetooth Toggle". Frankly, its been an absolute slut because I would like the app to work with all versions of Android from 1.5 upwards but the bluetooth API only became available from 2.0. I've been using a complex combination of hacking and reflection to get the pre 2.0 versions working and now have a single app that works on both a v1.6 G1 and v2.1 Nexus One.

Are there any v1.5 (Hero/Moment/Magic/Pulse/CLIQ) users out there willing to do some debug testing for me? I can email you a APK file.

Any help appreciated!

Edited by HaggleLad

• 2 weeks later...
Guest HaggleLad

Just thought I would let you know that I have released "In-App Bluetooth Toggle" to the market now.

This is a small app but it's a BIG help to me. Is there some place I can make a donation?

I have also added an "In-App Toggle Donate" version so that anyone who wants to say thanks can purchase for 99p. The donate app combines both the bluetooth and wifi apps into one. Any donations are gratefully recieved.

As always I appreciate any feedback.

I will be looking into a GPS toggle in the near future.

Edited by HaggleLad

Guest klutsh

Hero MCR 3.2, Wi-Fi toggle works fine on Long press of Call, but the long press of search pops up a what app do you want to run, between Voice search or Toggle Wi-fi.

Works perfect other than that small thing.

Guest HaggleLad
Hero MCR 3.2, Wi-Fi toggle works fine on Long press of Call, but the long press of search pops up a what app do you want to run, between Voice search or Toggle Wi-fi.

Works perfect other than that small thing.

Hi Klutsh, you should get a 'choose default' checkbox when presented with the choice. Once you've selected a default you won't be asked again.

Guest klutsh
Hi Klutsh, you should get a 'choose default' checkbox when presented with the choice. Once you've selected a default you won't be asked again.

Yup, I know was just making a note of it, Bluetooth toggle is working fine too, although I am rooted if that makes a difference.