27/May r3.1 - MoDaCo Custom ROM for HTC Desire with Online Kitchen (2.1 / Eclair)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul

desiress1.pngdesiress3.pngdesiress4.pngdesiress2.png

I'm pleased to present my MoDaCo Custom ROM for the HTC Desire! READ THIS WHOLE POST BEFORE YOU START! No, really, it contains everything you need to know. :D

Remember that if you use this ROM, you do so entirely at your own risk!!

About MoDaCo Custom ROMs

MoDaCo Custom ROMs are based on official ROMs - either shipping or leaked. A MCR release is designed to feel as far as possible like a stock ROM, with optimisations, tweaks and complimentary additions that enhance the user experience. The aim of a MCR is to be ultra reliable for use on an everyday device.

Requirements

In order to use this ROM on your device, you must be rooted and be able to launch the custom recovery image using the supplied scripts in the root package. You can read more about how to root and launch the CRI on your device in this topic.

Features

• Based on the 1.21.xxx.x ROM series
  • Pre-rooted with su and Superuser Permissions 2.0.3 by ChainsDD
  • Built with the MCR build process which reduces the size and boosts the speed of the ROM
  • Patched 'Rosie' (Sense) to allow click-drag homescreen rearrange when pinch-zoomed out
  • busybox with Droid Explorer support
  • 'Genie' News and Weather widget
  • Jbed Java
  • MCR version displayed in 'About' screen
  • 'Navigation Panel' (HTC version of 'Car Home')
  • OpenVPN binary
  • terminfo and settings in boot.img to allow nano etc. use
  • Updated Google Maps
  • Voice Search
  • Removed bootsound (can be restored via the online kitchen)
  • Optional A2SD via the online kitchen, including A2SD+
  • Optional Android 2.1 stock Contacts application
  • Optional Amazon MP3
  • Optional Development Tools
  • Optional Hebrew fonts
  • Optional patched HTC IME version 25 by jonasl
  • Optional Titanium Backup
  • Optional Wavesecure via the online kitchen (installed to system partition for maximum security)
  • Optional WiFi Status indicator
  • De-odexed framework for you themers out there!

Please see 2 posts below this one for the changes in each release.

Installation

To install this ROM:
    • Ensure you have are able to launch the custom recovery image (see 'requirements' above)
    • Download the zip file of your choice from the links below (or the online kitchen) and copy to your SD card
    • Restart your device in recovery mode
    • PERFORM A NANDROID BACKUP FROM THE MENU
    • Select the option to apply an update zip, and select the zip file you copied to your memory card
    • Upgrading

No wipe is explicitly required in order to use this ROM, however if you do encounter issues of any kind, it is recommended that you wipe your device and reproduce the issue before raising it here.

Downloads

This ROM is now available in the online kitchen - see the post below for details! In addition to the kitchen, 3 prebaked downloads are available - a version with the default set of MoDaCo additions, a version with the default set of MoDaCo additions and Chinese input and a version with no optional additions at all.

Included in default additions - Spare Parts, Titanium Backup, WaveSecure, WiFi Status Indicator, Wireless Tether
      Excluded from default additions (install via online kitchen) - Amazon MP3, Development Tools, A2SD, Radio Image

- r3.1 ROM with default MoDaCo additions - DOWNLOAD (MediaFire Pro) - MD5: b289e13007b45c83ba7e38f7306fb017

- r3.1 ROM with default MoDaCo additions and A2SD+ - DOWNLOAD (MediaFire Pro) - MD5: a8cea0b85e8c94081c8688784e913651

- r3.1 ROM with default MoDaCo additions and Chinese input - DOWNLOAD (MediaFire Pro) - MD5: 3545bb6bf49377efc874684442f7cc14

- r3.1 without default MoDaCo additions - DOWNLOAD (MediaFire Pro) - MD5: a7f451a86530dac45468c34364e3f276

Please note that the download links implement referring checking to avoid deep-linking. If you are redirected to the MoDaCo homepage when you download, try 'right click save as', disabling ad blocking / no script or if all else fails try an alternative browser.

Discussion

Do you want to jump into the discussion at the point the current version was released? Then start at this post! :P

Thanks

It's impossible to mention everyone who contributes to the Android community by name, but to everyone out there who does great work and shares it with us all - you have my gratitude and respect.

And finally...

If you would like to show your appreciation for the ROM, please consider supporting MoDaCo by signing up for a MoDaCo Ad Free or MoDaCo Plus account, both of which also give you early access to Beta ROM releases and access to the the online kitchens.

Enjoy! :P

P

Guest Paul

There may be a short wait while the load balancing software determines the best kitchen to serve your ROM. The kitchen should appear below within 20 seconds.

Guest Paul

Changelog

r3.1

• MCK kernel 1.1 included
  • Fixed issue where governor would lock to userspace instead of OnDemand, locking the device to 768MHz (WTF!)
  • Added gr0gmint's R2 JIT as a kitchen option
    • Now using CyanogenMod apns-conf.xml
    • ROM is now unified with Nexus One release for faster updates to newer builds
    • Complete ground-up rework
    • Based on 1.21.xxx.x Desire ROM with elements of EPF21B

• Updated 'cachedalvikcache' script
      • Odex'd /system/app directory to save space in dalvik-cache
      • Added A2SD+ with dalvik-cache on SD
      • Temporarily removed HTC_IME mod
      • Updated build.prop
      • Minor fixes
      • r1

[*]Initial Release

Guest Paul

Just a heads up that in light of issues some people have been having with A2SD, i've tested it as much as I can using a freshly partitioned microSD (4GB SD, 3.5GB FAT32 primary partition followed by EXT3 primary partition in remaining space, partitioned in GParted on Ubuntu).

As you can see, all seems to be working as intended...

P

a2sd.png

Guest Paul

I have not tested Wireless Tether... now the ROM is out I plan to test and liaise with the WT guys if it does not! :P

P

Guest Pyr0x64

Thanks again Paul :P

quick question though

I tried running a nandroid backup from the recovery menu (Nand + ext backup)

It ran for a minute or so, then popped up with the message:

Error : Run 'nandroid-mobile.sh' via adb!

being a complete linux/android noob, i'm wondering, should i go looking for this file online or.... ?

Edited by Pyr0x64

Guest Paul
Thanks again Paul :P

quick question though

I tried running a nandroid backup from the recovery menu (Nand + ext backup)

It ran for a minute or so, then popped up with the message:

Error : Run 'nandroid-mobile.sh' via adb!

being a complete linux/android noob, i'm wondering, should i go looking for this file online or.... ?

I don't get that, mine backs up! You could do it via adb ('adb shell nandroid-mobile.sh b') and see what it says?

P

Guest Jeppfi

When will it be uploaded? It's been 1.5 hour since you made the post, and no ROM :P

Edited by Jeppfi

Guest xedamen

Paul! Thanks for this :P Can you upload this rom, without Sense, with wifi t, and apps2sd? Just like 5.0.6 (1st of May). I don't like sense, but I'm not premium user to make online rom, and now I haven't got a chance to be premium user. Thanks for the answer :D

Edited by xedamen