Dilema... Racer or?

Guest midnight

Guest midnight

Ok, heres a sneak peek for you guys, its only a mockup, and the game will look as good, if not better than what you see here...

race1.jpg

the problem is, i have a dilema, we could take this game one of two ways, a straight racing game, similar to need for speed, with straight racing, police chases etc. (maybe even take the role of a cop if you wish), or, do we make a new version of spy hunter.

Now, the main problem with spyhunter is the number of keys used (left/right, accel/decel, hi/lo gear, machine gun, oil, smoke, missile) and thats way too many keys for the poor little SPV joypad, hence a straight racing game (left/right, accel/decel). The keys could be tweaked for a spy hunter type game of course, with one button for whichever special weapon, and also remove the hi/lo gear change.

so, what do you guys think? what you guys prefer to see taking in mind playablity etc.?

Guest Richie M

Ah thats beautiful m8, i'd prefer a straight racer outta the two option, may i suggest a 3rd?

Grand Theft Auto style game ;)

edit - you should of made this a poll m8 :lol:

Guest midnight

as for grand theft auto, nah, this game only scrolls downward (with a little left/right), the cars dont rotate as such, its basically the same style as spy hunter, with many roads bracnhing off different directions, short cuts etc. another way to describe it would be a top down out run

Guest spacemonkey

One word: Pedestrians.

Nothing makes a game better than racing along and hitting the odd old lady with zima frame.

Could be goats or something in not city areas :lol:

Guest mashkhan

Definitely a Spy Hunter type game, a straight racer would be pretty boring. We wanna blow things up! Lots of stunts would be cool as well, gaps in the road which need to jumped/avoided. Road blocks to crash through etc

Guest midnight

erm, i had already planned jumps, as another of my mockups shows :wink:

i dont think a racer would be boring, especially with police etc chasing after you

ok, heres a couple more mockups.....

race2.jpg

race3.jpg

Guest midnight

hehe, cmon guys, this game will only fit either a racer or spy hunter because of the method of scrolling etc., but, hopefully, we'll make it open enough to tweak to other types of racer, formula 1, moto gp, kart etc. of course these are in the future, but for now its either a racer like need for speed style, or a spy hunter type game :lol:

Guest spacemonkey

do the racer as a start cos that'll be cool and much easier.

Then you can always come back and remake the engine in another form for something else.

For the racer, are you thinking of branching roads and stuff (even though it's vertically scrolling mainly, choices of roads would be cool.) Stay on the interstate or cut onto that dodgy dirt road and jump some rivers :lol:

Guest fraser

How about some 3D racing games? Interstellar Flames has proven that 3D can be done on the phone.

A port of Ridge Racer would be amazing, but I think it would be aiming a bit high!

Guest midnight

yep, branches off, short cuts etc.

in fact, if you look top left of the first pic, you'll see the shortcut that takes you to the second pic :wink:

Guest midnight

no public editor i'm afraid, and i aint a 3d artist, so no point me thinking of 3d racers :wink:, and also, in comparison, this game will be much easier to make

Either seems ok to me, however one idea i have is (expanding on the free ride idea) to have a feature like that in Driver. So you can take a free ride over a city/town. That'd be kinda cool, would make a bit of a break from racing or blowing stuff up. Obviously it wouldnt be on the same scale as a gta size city but im sure sometihing fairly large could be created for us to explore. Maybe include a hidden packages type thing too like in gta 3. Where you free ride over the city and along the way you can collect hidden packages which give u faster cars or better guns etc as soon as you collect so many.

Just an idea anyway :lol: