Uxian

Uxian

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Devices:Liquid, G1, N1, Diamond, N95-2
  • Twitter:@Uxian
Nice work. I just switched from Sytrant which is a lot less friendly and doesn't seem to have a very reliable NTP client implementation.

IMS/Android App Developer. SCJP, SCJD.
http://www.truewatch...o/quest-forever

JetSerge

JetSerge

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
Just released ClockSync 1.0.6 with the following list of changes:
  • 3 color schemes: ClockSync (Default), Android (Black), Palm Pre (Light)
  • tap on the Atomic time to get the details about NTP server and packet travel times
  • tapping now works not only on digits, but also on the captions
  • option to override default language (only English/Russian at the moment)
  • cosmetics
New color schemes:

Posted Image Posted Image

Edited by JetSerge, 23 June 2010 - 10:06 PM.

fishywang

fishywang

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
This is great. Thank you!

But if I'm not wrong, you can get the atomic time by GPS, and this is the source of some of the NTP servers. So if there're an app can sync time via GPS, it would be even more great!

Edited by fishywang, 24 June 2010 - 03:50 AM.

JetSerge

JetSerge

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

This is great. Thank you!

But if I'm not wrong, you can get the atomic time by GPS, and this is the source of some of the NTP servers. So if there're an app can sync time via GPS, it would be even more great!

Indeed, it's possible, however it would require you to have GPS turned on, to have open sky to get signal from at least a couple of satellites and you should also not move to make the data more precise. Considering all of these, it would make automatic synchronization almost impossible (because GPS will not work in your office or at home) and will also drain the battery quickly. Turn on GPS, wait for satellites, get the data, turn it off, it's a plenty of time and battery.

I plan to add the GPS mode in one of the next updates, but it will be manual only. Imagine you are in Siberia or lost in a jungle with no network coverage and need to synchronize your clock with the precise time (it would be the last thing you need, but it's still cool =).

fishywang

fishywang

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Indeed, it's possible, however it would require you to have GPS turned on, to have open sky to get signal from at least a couple of satellites and you should also not move to make the data more precise. Considering all of these, it would make automatic synchronization almost impossible (because GPS will not work in your office or at home) and will also drain the battery quickly. Turn on GPS, wait for satellites, get the data, turn it off, it's a plenty of time and battery.

I plan to add the GPS mode in one of the next updates, but it will be manual only. Imagine you are in Siberia or lost in a jungle with no network coverage and need to synchronize your clock with the precise time (it would be the last thing you need, but it's still cool =).

yep, I agree that it can't be automatic sync'ed. but a manual sync by GPS will be cool ;)

thanks for your great work!

JetSerge

JetSerge

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
Some more details on the GPS time topic, to get the precise time you need PPS (pulse per second) support from the API which doesn't seem to be available on Android. Without PPS the time reported by NMEA protocol would be accurate to ~250-1000ms.

Android Linux kernel seems to have LinuxPPS support, but I don't know if it's connected to the GPS chip. Also there is no public API developers can use on Android.

navahoo

navahoo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
any chance you´ll add a 3 hours intervall?

JetSerge

JetSerge

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

any chance you´ll add a 3 hours intervall?

Will be added in the next version, thanks for the suggestion.

JetSerge

JetSerge

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
  • landscape layout (2x2)
  • 3 hours sync interval option
  • improved root check

JetSerge

JetSerge

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
  • option to set time zone from geographic location (off by default)
  • offset/atomic time values are zeroed and dimmed until a reply from NTP is received
  • synchronize on boot option

Poderr

Poderr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Devices:SPV C500
Fantastic stuff, thanks. I found my San Fran has been drifting like a rock in space. This oughta keep it in line. :mellow:

trevor432990

trevor432990

Hardcore

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts
Great app many thanks. I'm recommending it to everyone on the Advent Vega forum here :D

Advent Vega running Vegacomb v3.2 Build 6

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users