APN Error - com.android.settings dies [FIXED]

Guest kearnage

Guest kearnage

I have a unbranded handset and I use a Vodafone SIM so like others I was having trouble sending MMS messages.

I followed the advice out there (in several places) and went to Settings -> Wireless & networks -> Mobile networks -> Access Point Names

I deleted the two incorrect entries and started adding a new one with the correct settings. When I saved it crashed and showed me an error.

Now I can't access the Access Point Names at all. Each time I click the Access Point Names menu option I get

The application Settings (process com.android.settings) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again.

Force close

Can anybody help?

I have a rooted device so is there a way of going in and setting up an APN in the file system?

EDIT: I've found the file /system/etc/apns-conf.xml which seems to define APN settings. I've added the following line and rebooted

<apn carrier="Vodafone UK" apn="wap.vodafone.co.uk" proxy="" port="" user="wap" password="wap" server="" mmsc="http://mms.vodafone.co.uk/servlets/mms" mmsproxy="212.183.137.12" mmsport="8799" mcc="234" mnc="15" type="" />

But still I have the issue.

Thanks

Edited by kearnage

Guest kearnage

UPDATE

I've checked the /syste/etc/apns-conf.xml file and whenever I make any changes to it and reboot the changes are lost. I've tried editing it with root explorer and pushing the file using adb while in recovery mode and just connected with debugging turned on. All with the same result.

Do I need to create a zip, sign it and flash it to get the file to update?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Guest kearnage

UPDATE AND CLOSED:

All fixed. I installed an app called APN Backup & Restore from the market. Used that to delete all APN data. Then Settings -> Wireless & networks -> Mobile networks -> Access Point Names worked as normal. I restored default data, deleted all but one entry. Edited the remaining APN to the settings here and set the Type to default and saved. This let me select it using the green dot. Then I edited again, deleted all text from the Type field and saved again. Then from this point turn the phone off and reboot.

Once phone had booted up, a quick test and MMS all started working as normal.

Well it was nice talking to myself. Hope this might help somebody else if they ever have the same issue. that's if they use the search :P

Guest modacorule
Well it was nice talking to myself. Hope this might help somebody else if they ever have the same issue. that's if they use the search :)

Thanks kearnage, helped me a lot! Keep on talking to yourself ;)

• 1 month later...
Guest Willie Heckerslyke
UPDATE AND CLOSED:

All fixed. I installed an app called APN Backup & Restore from the market. Used that to delete all APN data. Then Settings -> Wireless & networks -> Mobile networks -> Access Point Names worked as normal. I restored default data, deleted all but one entry. Edited the remaining APN to the settings here and set the Type to default and saved. This let me select it using the green dot. Then I edited again, deleted all text from the Type field and saved again. Then from this point turn the phone off and reboot.

Once phone had booted up, a quick test and MMS all started working as normal.

Well it was nice talking to myself. Hope this might help somebody else if they ever have the same issue. that's if they use the search ;)

Just registered to say 'Thanks' kearnage :( ... I had this problem too with my unlocked Desire that was originally on the 3 network, but swapped the sim over to an O2. I couldn't input the necessary settings for MMS - kept getting the exact same error as you....anyway, got the app you recomended and deleted the APN's, it then let me into the APN menu where as you say, you can then reset to default (takes a while...) it then came up with a few options, one of which was O2...chose that, rebooted..Bob's your father's brother :)

Many thanks mate....

(though I signed up to say 'thanks for that'....I'm gonna be reg visitor here now as this looks an crackin forum. Thx again.)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest Albert Poon

I used to have this problem too (latest r8 fixed the problem for me, but that's another story). I really don't suggest deleting all entries, because when you are out of town, you never know what APN will be used when you are roaming...

Guest spammyspam
I used to have this problem too (latest r8 fixed the problem for me, but that's another story). I really don't suggest deleting all entries, because when you are out of town, you never know what APN will be used when you are roaming...

Data roaming works over local APN settings for at least three of the UK networks, and I'm guessing that's the case for most others too.

Guest blackcoffee85

I only had one APN and it was broken. Restoring the defaults via the menu (retrieved from operator?) returned the usual 4 o2 related ones - post/pre pay and two for Tesco Mobile, so this shouldn't be a problem.