new "BING " app

Guest kdkinc

I read about this this morning at Engadget.

Went to "marketplace" on my phone, downloaded "BING" then updated that app via Check for update in the "BING" menu.

http://www.bing.com/community/blogs/search...dows-phone.aspx

Looks interesting :P

Bing.cab Updated cab from m.bing.com 5/14/2010

let me know if this cab works for you...

:D :P

Edited by kdkinc

Guest Ninja4Hire

Went to "marketplace" on my phone, downloaded "BING" then updated that app via Check for update in the "BING" menu.

Looks interesting :)

;) :D

This new Bing is pretty slick. I will have to get a little used to the new design, but turn by turn is a major plus.

Guest amdzero

Looks interesting :)

I tried the turn by turn, but it says my phone is not supported... but should should run as expected. I was almost home when I tried it and it took a bit to get a GPS lock (forgot to turn location on) so it only showed me directions down the block LOL!

Very clean looking even though I don't like how bing is designed.

Guest kdkinc

With the new BING when you come to a turn its wakes you up with a bing sound then tells you your turn in so many feet ahead.

Its does this three time :) scared the crap out of me the first time....

Guest das7771

How is it performance wise? I know I tried it about a year ago when I went on a trip but it was very laggy. Since then I did not use it as I was not impressed at all. I am sure that it has improved alot since then. Any one care to share their opinion.

Guest kdkinc
How is it performance wise? I know I tried it about a year ago when I went on a trip but it was very laggy. Since then I did not use it as I was not impressed at all. I am sure that it has improved alot since then. Any one care to share their opinion.

In my 10 trip it was quick and on target as I passed side roads my map marker was at the correct point.

I don't think it will replace my Garmin 155W yet but its close.

The voice part seems ok but didn't locate bank Of America's in my area ,maybe it didn't because it knew I didn't have any money so why bother going there !!! :)

Guest ED2O9

It worked well for me as I was driving around at lunch. It did give me some strange directions Chik-Fil-A, though.

I have Garmin XT installed on my phone, and while it works very well, it doesn't give you audible street names. Aside from the fact that Bing is a bit chatty (within a half a mile it informed me three time that I was approaching a left turn), I didn't like the way that it searches business addresses. I hit speak and said the address of the place I work. Bing came up with the business listing, but wouldn't give me the option of mapping directions. Overall, it's a nice (FREE) app that is a good compliment to a standard GPS.

Guest das7771

Thanks guys,

I will definitely have to try it. I have Garmin Mobile XT as well. Although it does not have very smooth animations like IGO8, it has never let me down.

Guest Snow02

Yeah, I use copilot, which is great. This works though if you don't feel like dropping the coin for a dedicated app, but it's certainly no replacement. It's nice to see MS trying to make a move on google's offerings.

Guest amdzero
Yeah, I use copilot, which is great. This works though if you don't feel like dropping the coin for a dedicated app, but it's certainly no replacement. It's nice to see MS trying to make a move on google's offerings.

I have Garmin XT and Igo Amigo for my main Navigation. I like Amigo for the lane information, but I use Garmin mostly for the google search/traffic info. I used to use Bing all the time, just for finding a movie with a quickness, not for navigation.

Guest Omega Ra

just downloaded and installed the new updated version. At work so no chance to use the turn-by-turn, but I will try it on my way home to see how it is.

Guest jbr05ki

Turn by turn is the kewl! My only gripe is that you can't sync your favorites on the website with the mobile app like Google Maps. Hopefully next update.

Guest kdkinc
Turn by turn is the kewl! My only gripe is that you can't sync your favorites on the website with the mobile app like Google Maps. Hopefully next update.

That's strange ???

My updated version starts my coffee pot & walks the dog.....really!!! :) ;)

:D :(

Guest Omega Ra

Okay, maybe I am doing something wrong, I can't get the voice guidance turn-by-turn working. I go to maps, select get directions, use my current location as start and random address as finish and select get directions. It gives me a list but doesn't talk to me. Secondly, the map doesn't follow me as quickly as google maps does yet. It only updates every 3-5 seconds whereas google maps updates pretty much every second.

Guest kdkinc
Okay, maybe I am doing something wrong, I can't get the voice guidance turn-by-turn working. I go to maps, select get directions, use my current location as start and random address as finish and select get directions. It gives me a list but doesn't talk to me. Secondly, the map doesn't follow me as quickly as google maps does yet. It only updates every 3-5 seconds whereas google maps updates pretty much every second.

do you have version 5.1.2010.5040 ??

When I d/l from marketplace the version then does a newer update version.

:) ;)

Guest Shemmy

Did you activate Voice Guidance in the settings?

Guest amdzero

I put this app in my latest rom and tested it out. I was actually imposed with the "free" turn by turn navigation. it even says the street names. The only problem I saw was the program unexpectedly closed while driving home on a 30 minute commute. It happened again this morning on a 10 drive.

anyone else experiencing this problem?

Guest kdkinc
I put this app in my latest rom and tested it out. I was actually imposed with the "free" turn by turn navigation. it even says the street names. The only problem I saw was the program unexpectedly closed while driving home on a 30 minute commute. It happened again this morning on a 10 drive.

anyone else experiencing this problem?

Yes as a matter of fact.I was looking into it alittle as we speak.

:) ;)

edit: read 4 or 5 blogs and engadet no real mention of this issue .

Edited by kdkinc

Guest Omega Ra

do you have version 5.1.2010.5040 ??

When I d/l from marketplace the version then does a newer update version.

Did you activate Voice Guidance in the settings?

yes and yes. Through the program I downloaded the newest update and I made sure that voice guidance was on in the settings....Though I did get a message saying my device wasn't actually supported but that it should work as expected.

Guest Shemmy

Strange - I've had no issues with it. I even started using it in place of Garmin XT (I'm trying to cut back on alternative means of acquiring software).

Guest Omega Ra
Strange - I've had no issues with it. I even started using it in place of Garmin XT (I'm trying to cut back on alternative means of acquiring software).

I am going to try and uninstall it again and reinstall it. Are there any log files or anything that I should delete after uninstall?