Tried & failed Orange UK ROM Dump
I thought I would give this a try and see if it worked, my fiancee has the same HTC Desire as I do with the same Orange software, so I thought I would give it a go, but it didnt work!
The following is what I did & the guides I followed (many thanks to the people listed for their guides!!)
Followed Minishlink's guide as below:
1) Install Android SDK or simply adb
2) Download busybox for Android
3) Launch Windows console (cmd) and go to the directory where busybox is with the "cd path/to/the/file" command.
4) "adb devices" <- Is your device detected ? If not, install HTC Sync // Of course, before you have to plug your device in... (Sync mode I guess)
5) "adb push busybox /data/local/busybox
6) "adb shell"
7) "cd /sdcard/"
8) "chmod 755 /data/local/busybox" (something like that)
9) "/data/local/busybox tar cvf dump.tar /system"
10) When it's finished, you will have a normal error like 'tar: error exit delayed from previous errors'.
Then I followed moodi's guide below:
You will need:
1. Linux OS (I used Cygwin's Linux for Windows package instead of a Linux OS for this)
2. Yaffs2 tool
3. your System folder (or if you dont have this, extract the dump.tar file, for this I placed this into Cygwin's folder, directory tree: 'C:\cygwin\home\my-user-name/dump')
./mkfs.yaffs2 system /system.img
My Own Steps:
1) Take the Boot.img from the latest RRU (extracted the testrru.exe file and boot.img is in the '\testrru\rom' directory.
2) Take both the Boot,.img & system.img and dropped them into my Cygwin kitchen, run Cygwin and then run ./menu
3) Choose option 1 (Set up working folder from ROM)
4) Then Option 3 (boot.img & system.img (e.g. from a shipped ROM or Nandroid backup)
5) Then I just used option 99 (Build ROM from working folder
6) Once completed, copied the produced ZIP file to memory card & flashed through recovery
After Formatting SYSTEM then copying files I got errors:
E: Can't symlink /system/bin/dumpcrash
E: Failure at line 5:
symlink dumpstate SYSTEM:bin/dumpcrash
I even tried to replace the system.img into the '\testrru\rom' directory and run ARUWizard.exe but this didnt work either!
As I said before, a big thanks to the guys (and gals?) that made the above guides, if anybody knows what went wrong, please share!!