Alternate MP3 player?

Guest ManOfSteal

Guest ManOfSteal

Have had my Desire for a few days and am impressed except for the MP3 player, I'm astonished there's no EQ option and also I cannot seem to just play all files within a specific folder (maybe I'm missing something?). I really don't want to have to edit id3 tags just to hear a compilation I've put together in the correct sequential order. I realise there's a playlist option, but that's something I prefer not to use.

I realise there's already mention of the shortcomings of the stock player elsewhere, but I really expected to find another application that would be able to do the above, but haven't, so if anyone knows of one, please let me know.

Alternatively, is there a driver file I can tweak to customise the sound? I did this before on my old Sony Ericsson W800 and it'll certainly be useful to do that on the Desire.

Guest miguelsanchez79
Have had my Desire for a few days and am impressed except for the MP3 player, I'm astonished there's no EQ option and also I cannot seem to just play all files within a specific folder (maybe I'm missing something?). I really don't want to have to edit id3 tags just to hear a compilation I've put together in the correct sequential order. I realise there's a playlist option, but that's something I prefer not to use.

I realise there's already mention of the shortcomings of the stock player elsewhere, but I really expected to find another application that would be able to do the above, but haven't, so if anyone knows of one, please let me know.

Alternatively, is there a driver file I can tweak to customise the sound? I did this before on my old Sony Ericsson W800 and it'll certainly be useful to do that on the Desire.

Mort Player allows you to play music from folders rather than id3 tags, free app to be found on market.

I was disappointed with player too. This is my first android phone and I pretty miss EQ. I did try player with EQ from market (cant remember name though) but it wasnt good enough.

Im looking for any fix to increase volume level. Any help appreciated :)

Edited by miguelsanchez79

Guest thephreak

i use mortplayer 2 the only 2 things it doesn't have is EQ and even more important to me it pauses between the songs.

i have allot of mix cd's but i have to make them in 1 song so its fluent.

Guest ManOfSteal
it pauses between the songs.

:)

Haven't used it properly yet, but yeah, that will be annoying, it will mess up playback of concert recordings and other stuff designed to be seamless (early Stevie Wonder stuff springs to mind).

Guest TheAshMan

Astro Player Beta has an equaliser that works, supports adding folders you want, can show album art along with other features.

The Beta is free, and remains free for you, if you provide the author with feedback

Guest thephreak
:)

Haven't used it properly yet, but yeah, that will be annoying, it will mess up playback of concert recordings and other stuff designed to be seamless (early Stevie Wonder stuff springs to mind).

true and its really anoying ;)

Guest ManOfSteal

> Astro Player Beta

Thanks, I'd just come across that when searching, the EQ needs a bit of work but it certainly is an improvment.

Guest h00pyfr00d
> Astro Player Beta

Thanks, I'd just come across that when searching, the EQ needs a bit of work but it certainly is an improvment.

I personally found it really clunky. Really unintuitive interface and no widget.

Guest ManOfSteal
I personally found it really clunky. Really unintuitive interface and no widget.

Well it's not great, after more listening I noticed that when EQ is enabled it induces distortion, even at frequencies not boosted. The EQ seems to be linear rather than logarithmic in the frequency bands, so only the lowest one has any effect at bass frequencies, what's required are higher Q bandwidths at the lowest frequencies. I would estimate that a boost of 6 to 10db is required below 100Hz.

Having listened to a number of players (on in-ear headphones that sound very good with a bit of bass boost on other MP3 players) it sounds to me like like there's some pre-emphasis applied to the audio playback frequency response (presumably set in hardware).

Guest ManOfSteal

Just curious, can anyone else please confrim that when using the EQ in Astro Player Beta, it often results in severe distortion? I assume it's the case for everyone and not just a fault with my Desire.

Guest Tarqon
Having listened to a number of players (on in-ear headphones that sound very good with a bit of bass boost on other MP3 players) it sounds to me like like there's some pre-emphasis applied to the audio playback frequency response (presumably set in hardware).

Exactly. The desire's output is modified somehow, and not in a good way. Does anyone know ether other models have this issue, and if perhaps it would be possible to port theorie audio drivers to the desire?

Guest sergmarin

Player with the best sound (equalizer presets, grafical equalizer, sound boost etc) - AudioPlayerWithEQ Platinum. It is very laggy, but have the best sound...

Guest ManOfSteal

> AudioPlayerWithEQ Platinum

Thanks, it's rather pricey though! Especially when a basic feature like EQ should be provided out of the box...

Guest dr3minem

Does anybody know about a player that shows the album art in the lock screen like the stock player on desire does?

This is the only reason why i havent changed yet, although there are definitely better players out there.

Guest afiorillo
Does anybody know about a player that shows the album art in the lock screen like the stock player on desire does?

This is the only reason why i havent changed yet, although there are definitely better players out there.

bTunes does that.

Guest sergmarin

You can try this. You don't need to pay...

I posted this program only to show you sound quality. I'd removed file.

Edited by sergmarin

Guest sergmarin
I dont think it's free app as I found it on market for 29$

I wrote about only TRY, because free version has no graphic equalizer. I tried and then bought full version. Try and delete this application...

Guest ManOfSteal
I wrote about only TRY, because free version has no graphic equalizer. I tried and then bought full version. Try and delete this application...

Ah, I thought you'd uploaded a trial time-out version. I tried it and it wouldn't install anyway, so no doubt protected.

If there's no EQ incorporated into the Froyo stock audio player then I guess i'll just have to write something myself.