froyo vs r14 on my Nexus One?

Guest kbs24

Guest kbs24

I am using the r14 rom with default additions which include wifi tethering and some other stuff that I happen to like, such as the Sense Live Wallpaper. I read somewhere that 2.2 will include tethering, but pretty sure it will not have Sense UI. Does anyone know if the bugginess of the bluetooth is being addressed with this update, because with r14 (and 2.1 for that matter) BT just seems to go on and off at will and it is very unrealiable in the car......this has been posted as a known problem with the nexus one on a variety of websites and I don't know if it is a software or hardware issue.........(Also, is there any way to save the r14 Sense Live Wallpaper and then reinstall it on 2.2? I can't seem to find where it is stored on the phone, using Astro file app. Anyone know where it can be found in the file system, or can I download it separately from somewhere?)

Guest anthdroid

FroYo is the Latest Android OS DIRECTLY FROM GOOGLE.

Sense UI is HTC's skin of Android.

So, someone could lay Sense UI OVER FroYo THEORETICALLY.

But, that's where it ends- Google doesn't have rights to Sense, and HTC would have to update their Sense to run FroYo.

As far as Bluetooth, etc. I would expect FroYo to have optimizations that we may or may not see in the ROMs the devs put together on here- but we'll have to wait and see...

Oh and as far as the wallpaper question- it's got to be possible, because Paul has done it for Cyan ROM, but I have no idea where it's stored either...Wallpaper is great, but definitely don't let that hold you back from trying FroYo.

And why run such an old release anyway? Just curious...

Edited by anthdroid

Guest kbs24
FroYo is the Latest Android OS DIRECTLY FROM GOOGLE.

Sense UI is HTC's skin of Android.

So, someone could lay Sense UI OVER FroYo THEORETICALLY.

But, that's where it ends- Google doesn't have rights to Sense, and HTC would have to update their Sense to run FroYo.

As far as Bluetooth, etc. I would expect FroYo to have optimizations that we may or may not see in the ROMs the devs put together on here- but we'll have to wait and see...

Oh and as far as the wallpaper question- it's got to be possible, because Paul has done it for Cyan ROM, but I have no idea where it's stored either...Wallpaper is great, but definitely don't let that hold you back from trying FroYo.

And why run such an old release anyway? Just curious...

I thought that r14 was the lastest N1 release from Paul. I tried the alpha r22 with the Desire rom port but went back to the custom stock rom...I did not like the Desire one so much and Bluetooth was entirely dead on it.

Guest kbs24

Thanks! I am definitely going to try out Froyo if they have upped the speed. But still, does anyone know where I can get the apk for the Sense Live Wallpaper? I want to put it into froyo......? I know its silly but I hate giving up things things that I have now with the r14.

Guest anthdroid
I thought that r14 was the lastest N1 release from Paul. I tried the alpha r22 with the Desire rom port but went back to the custom stock rom...I did not like the Desire one so much and Bluetooth was entirely dead on it.

Excuse me, I mis spoke- for some reason, I was just thinking that since he was talking about Sense so much, he was on the Desire rom - my bad.

Guest stevenz
Thanks! I am definitely going to try out Froyo if they have upped the speed. But still, does anyone know where I can get the apk for the Sense Live Wallpaper? I want to put it into froyo......? I know its silly but I hate giving up things things that I have now with the r14.

Do you mean the glowy rainbow-coloured balls wallpaper like the default HTC background? Just copy the .apk out of your system folder with Astro or ES File Explorer and then run it again on the new ROM and it should reinstall it. I wouldn't have thought it'd rely on any Sense libraries just for a live wallpaper, but I may be wrong.

Guest kbs24
Do you mean the glowy rainbow-coloured balls wallpaper like the default HTC background? Just copy the .apk out of your system folder with Astro or ES File Explorer and then run it again on the new ROM and it should reinstall it. I wouldn't have thought it'd rely on any Sense libraries just for a live wallpaper, but I may be wrong.

I tried to find it in Astro, all the way to system/apps, but it is not there. And yes, you got it, that's the wallpaper I'm talking about. If only I could find the .apk. One thing is for sure, it is NOT in the 'Live Wallpapers" apk. Paul must have added it in a different way!

Guest kbs24
Froyo vs r14? Maybe r15 or r16 will be based on Froyo, then you won't have to chose :)

That would be the best, let's hope that happens!

Guest AF!ve

Why ask when it hasn't been released yet even? I've been running Android since 1.5 and let me tell ya, Rom devs always release updates faster than you can get anything official from Google. I've been running 1.6 a month before it was officially available. so, I would not sweat it. Paul will probably have 2.2 integrated Rom shortly after 2.2 code dump.

Guest stevenz
I tried to find it in Astro, all the way to system/apps, but it is not there. And yes, you got it, that's the wallpaper I'm talking about. If only I could find the .apk. One thing is for sure, it is NOT in the 'Live Wallpapers" apk. Paul must have added it in a different way!

I think "Mode10Wallpapers.apk" is the one you want.

Guest mred612

ok i'm kind of a newbee. im running the older desire rom and love sense ui, but of course im willing to let it go for froyo. How am I gonna be able to get froyo??

Guest stevenz
ok i'm kind of a newbee. im running the older desire rom and love sense ui, but of course im willing to let it go for froyo. How am I gonna be able to get froyo??

Just flash the ROM when it's released or wait for a customised one then flash that. Neither is out yet.

Guest brosenz
Just flash the ROM when it's released or wait for a customised one then flash that. Neither is out yet.

My understanding is that it's not possible to upgrade to Froyo (2.2) from a rooted phone using r14, Froyo will only update over an unrooted phone

My understanding is that it's not possible to upgrade to Froyo (2.2) from a rooted phone using r14, Froyo will only update over an unrooted phone

Yeah but custom ROMs will be made with Froyo, so we can still upgrade to Froyo. We just won't get the OTA update directly from Google.