How to upgrade your N1 to FroYo.

Guest stevenz

Guest stevenz

Instructions for flashing Paul's pre-rooted FroYo ROM. Instructions hold true for ANY custom ROM (MCR, Cyanogen, Desire etc)

This can be flashed onto ANY phone regardless of existing firmware (Custom, stock, EPE, EPF etc) - The only requirement is that your phone have an unlocked bootloader and ideally AmonRa's recovery menu. Check the pinned topics if you're not already at this stage (you should be!)

If it doesn't work, then you've missed something - wipe everything and flash again.

1. Copy Paul's pre-rooted FroYo FRF50 update.zip with radio from HERE to the root of your SD Card. (Use the one without radio if you've already got the FroYo radio)

2. Boot into recovery (Preferably at least Amon Ra 1.6.2 or newer/equivalent)

3. Make a nandroid backup (+ext if you use it)

4. Wipe data+cache, Battery Stats and Rotate settings (You might be able to get away with not doing this, but it's doubtful)

5. Flash Paul's Pre-Rooted FroYo ROM.

6. Reboot.

7. Wait for the radio update to finish & return to recovery. (If it says "formatting cache" - ignore it and continue)

8. Reboot again.

9. Enjoy 2.2.

To return to a stock (but rooted) 2.1 ROM replace steps 1. & 5. with these steps instead:

1. Download the EPF21B update.zip from here and copy that to the root of the SD card too.

5. Flash the EPF21B update.

If you need the FroYo radio (v4.06) by itself (to flash with fastboot flash radio radio-32.36.00.28U_4.06.00.02_2.img) then you can get it from here

if you want a 2.1 radio then get it from here (v4.04) - This can be applied via Recovery, or you can extract the .IMG and flash it with fastboot.

Edited by stevenz

Guest lyrikal757

just thought id note this in case anyone ran into the issue

the desire camera on any of the custom roms (ie modaco ) does not work when updated to froyo.

I was running r14 with the desire camera option and updated to froyo. now the phone says there is no camera installed.

Switching to r15 (modaco) with stock camera and updating to froyo now. I'll update this with whether it works or not. I have no doubt that it will work.

sidenote: thanks paul.

Guest ttownlarry

Thanks Paul! Very much appreciated!!!! I actually have a speaker phone again. Haven't that since your first Alpha desire ROM. :rolleyes:

Edited by ttownlarry

Guest stevenz
just thought id note this in case anyone ran into the issue

the desire camera on any of the custom roms (ie modaco ) does not work when updated to froyo.

I was running r14 with the desire camera option and updated to froyo. now the phone says there is no camera installed.

Switching to r15 (modaco) with stock camera and updating to froyo now. I'll update this with whether it works or not. I have no doubt that it will work.

sidenote: thanks paul.

Wiping the data partition and installing the new FroYo partition should remove ALL trace of any previous camera mods, it should be the same as running the camera on a completely clean stock ROM. Are you wiping all the settings correctly?

Guest lyrikal757
Wiping the data partition and installing the new FroYo partition should remove ALL trace of any previous camera mods, it should be the same as running the camera on a completely clean stock ROM. Are you wiping all the settings correctly?

I didnt wipe as paul said no pre-requisites . No biggie. All is fine now. I just updated to r15 and excluded the desire camera.

I just wanted to say that to anyone who did just as I did and left the desire camera in their ROM.

Guest envmyz

39.4 mflops makes me all tingly inside :rolleyes:

Froyo is insanely fast! I can live without htc sense GUI for the froyo speed.

Guest stevenz
If I have the stock EPE54B build, do I have to have EPF21B before I can flash Paul's repack?

You can flash FroYo from ANY ROM. See post #1.

Guest atrus

Total newbie, been using a factory Nexus One. A few questions:

- What do I need to do to get to cerovery mode, so I can install this?

- Can I use this procedure to install the offical 2.2 rom?

- Are these roms for one particual version of the Nexus One? I have tmobile's version, and want to be sure I don't lose access to these frequencies (they're the only ones my provider supports, even for voice calls)

Thanks.

Guest theletterj
You can flash FroYo from ANY ROM. See post #1.

Thanks. I tried it though and it does not work. Paul's gets the E:Signature Verification Error and the official one returns Status 7. I think I have to upgrade to the next build in order to do this, which makes sense because all of these custom ROMs are based off of EPE54B (AFAIK).

Any words of advice would be greatly appreciated though.

Guest eppyramot

Thanks for the guide, i was going to install without a wipe but figured it was safer to do so. Anyhow when i went to marketplace to get Titanium so i could reinstall all my apps, it had already started downloading all my paid and unpaid apps!! It had remembered my Wifi settings too - I guess the backup settings to google or whatever it is actually works under Froyo.

Very cool.

Guest UberHaqer

Hey,

I have searched around the forum for any information about upgrading a Nexus One on Vodafone UK that is build EPF21B. Will this upgrade method work for that build of Android?

Cheers

Guest samburney
Is it possible to use OpenVPN in Paul's pre-rooted FroYo ROM? Or I have to wait for MCR or CM?

OpenVPN isn't included in this ROM (OpenVPN Settings isn't working for me). I'm pretty sure this release is just stock FRF50 + root.

In fact, OpenVPN is the only thing I'm missing coming from Cyanogen 5.0.6, I reckon I'll be able to stick with stock-ish modded ROMs from now on (E.g. MCR).

Guest jango76
OpenVPN isn't included in this ROM (OpenVPN Settings isn't working for me). I'm pretty sure this release is just stock FRF50 + root.

In fact, OpenVPN is the only thing I'm missing coming from Cyanogen 5.0.6, I reckon I'll be able to stick with stock-ish modded ROMs from now on (E.g. MCR).

Working fast and smooth for me so far. Still got the odd 'crazy screen' issue, so that's not fixed. Downloaded Flash 10.1 - excellent!

The only Cyano bits that I'm genuinely missing is unlocking the phone using the trackball, coloured trackball. Also missing the Desire camera. None of which is a major issue.

Guest Gib W.
Instructions for flashing Paul's pre-rooted FroYo ROM. Instructions hold true for ANY custom ROM (MCR, Cyanogen, Desire etc)

1. Copy Paul's pre-rooted FroYo update.zip (from here) to the root of your SD Card.

4. Wipe data+cache, Battery Stats and Rotate settings

6. Reboot.

7. Wait for the radio update to finish & return to recovery.

8. Reboot again.

9. Enjoy 2.2.

To return to a stock (but rooted) 2.1 ROM replace steps 1. & 5. with these steps instead:

1. Download the EPF21B update.zip from here and copy that to the root of the SD card too.

Thank you so much for posting this!

BTW: I did try the revert to stock from Cyanogen 5.0.x and then doing a manual update to Froyo, but that didn't work.

I reverted to my Nandroid of Cyanogen and then did the Flash-over-any-mod and it worked beautifully.

This is SOOO much easier than following the cryptic "how to revert to stock" directions by the kind folks over at XDA forums. This does everything in 9 steps rather than 25+.

Guest shockaholick

sooo...i got to step 6...when it rebooted it rebooted automatically in to recovery...and at the bottom it says Build : RA nexus-v1.7.0 Formatting Cache... so should i goto reboot again for step 7? or keep letting it format the cache? its been formatting for like 5 min...please someone help!! hope i'm not freaking out over nothing...

1. Copy Paul's pre-rooted FroYo update.zip (from here) to the root of your SD Card.

4. Wipe data+cache, Battery Stats and Rotate settings

6. Reboot.

7. Wait for the radio update to finish & return to recovery.

8. Reboot again.

9. Enjoy 2.2.

Guest i_ate_god

Well, followed these instructions for me EFE54B N1 and I can't get past the sign in screen before it reboots...

Oh wait... it's now trying to sign in, lets see how long it'll last now, well not very long. When it tried to sign in, it failed, I went back a few screens to skip it, and then it rebooted again.

Oh, upon trying to boot, it rebooted...

UPDATE: It booted into Froyo, but before I could do anything it rebooted again

I thought Froyo was EFE54B compatible, I guess not :rolleyes:

UPDATE 2: When it tries to reboot, sometimes it will vibrate 4/5 times while the X is showing and now I can't get into Recovery mode

Edited by i_ate_god

Guest i_ate_god

Ok, I'm bumping this because I've managed to duplicate a problem:

When flashing the w/ radio ROM onto my EFE54B device, I reboot, it installed the radio image, and without any input from me, reboots with the little recovery icon on the screen. It stays there for a while, then reboots again and vibrates 7 times then gets stuck. I have to pull the battery, put it back in, and voila, it boots into Froyo.

Too bad, once in Froyo, it never stays on long enough for me to care. It reboots again and again from the setup screen.

So if this was supposed to work on EFE54B-based devices, then it wasn't supposed to work on mine. Anyone have any suggestions?

Guest indieladadam

needs to be able to use titanium backup =[ also are you going to work on adding froyo apps to the desire rom kitchen? like the gallery and browser n stuff? and could you also add settings app menu thing because i prefer the nexus one to desire since it open straight into downloaded apps also i prefer home screen if it had pinch to zoom.. would be great if could like single out the features of the 2 ROMS n let us bake what we like ^^

Edited by indieladadam

Guest Office Ninja

So at the risk of sounding like a noob, would doing this allow me to have the froyo updates with the sense gui? Or does this just change any Rom to the Google froyo updated GUI?

Guest stevenz
So at the risk of sounding like a noob, would doing this allow me to have the froyo updates with the sense gui? Or does this just change any Rom to the Google froyo updated GUI?

Completely standard FroYo ROM. I didn't think there was any implication that it was anything other?

So if this was supposed to work on EFE54B-based devices, then it wasn't supposed to work on mine. Anyone have any suggestions?

EFE54B gets overwritten with the FroYo ROM. Once you've flashed FroYo, it's no longer a EFE54B "device", it's an FRF50 one. It should work exactly the same on ANY Nexus One.

If it fails, reboot into recovery wipe data+dalvik+battery+rotate and reboot again. If it's booting into the UI then the radio is probably fine.

Guest Senshik

Hey, so i've been looking like crazy for android 2.2 zip file and I finally found one that looks to be working... but it didn't work! I have my nexus with Tmo service.... i saved the zip file on my sd card... then turned off phone, held volume with power button, selected recovery, selected sd card: update.zip file...etc... but it gave an error message!!! what did i do wrong!?? (;_:(

oh and I have not rooted my N1... could this be the issue? or is the link dead????

I really want android 2.2!! HELP Please! :(