SMS Notification

Guest pronto

Guest pronto

Hi,

I need to invoke my application when a specific SMS comes in. I've found the API "SmsSetMessageNotification" which start the application.

The thing is, I need this process of registration to be as transparent as possible to the user. I would prefer him not to manually start a "listener" application first.

In other words can I create some sort of "NT service" or "Unix daemon" type of application which will start when the handset is turned on?

Does anyone know how to do this?

Is that the correct way to go about solving the problem?

Guest v1nn1e

I am not too sure what exactly you want to do but if you want a program/service to start with the phone you can put it in, or provide a shortcut in, the startup folder in IPSMwindows

Guest pronto

Thanks vin, putting the application in the startup folder would be a good idea, but isn't any way to create a service that would run automatically when the phone starts like a desktop service that could not be remove easily like a shortcut ?

Guest florin_m

In Hkey_local_machineinit u have all the services starting :lol:

So to add/modify u need to be privileaged to do so!

So that's the hint for you.

Guest pronto

Thanks guys for the answers.

Do you know what privileges do I need and how do I get it ?

what do I have to do in order to add my own service ? :?

Guest pronto

another thing, the problem with putting application on the startup folder or putting entries in the registry is that they'd create an unnecessary window for the application, unlike NT service on desktop that runs quietly upon system startup without any console or window.

is it possible to do something like that on smartphone ?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Soyale

You don't need an invisible window, you can just go into a non busy loop in your WinMain function, no Window required.

Any help? There isn't really a concept of a service on Windows CE. One thing you might try is to write a driver DLL which will be started by the system on bootup and has no window. Depending what you want to achieve, this might be the way.

Guest madu

Or maybe amend/recode the original driver to default the SMS Notif. ON, but you'l prob need the source for that ;) and since the original's most likely an MS DLL, the hopes for source are in vain....