Villain ROM vs RaiDroid

Guest trstn

Guest trstn

Ok, so finally on 2.1 and liking it so far. I had a bit of trouble getting the latest Villain Rom up and running, so tried RaiDroid. Which I seemed to get installed fine.

Before I get too invested, I'm just curious if Villain ROM is better than RaiDroid? If so, how.

RaiDroid seems fast (with ben22 kernal, autokiller and setCPU over clocking).

This is all until MoDaCo 4 comes out of course :rolleyes:

Guest jaffacake
Ok, so finally on 2.1 and liking it so far. I had a bit of trouble getting the latest Villain Rom up and running, so tried RaiDroid. Which I seemed to get installed fine.

Before I get too invested, I'm just curious if Villain ROM is better than RaiDroid? If so, how.

RaiDroid seems fast (with ben22 kernal, autokiller and setCPU over clocking).

This is all until MoDaCo 4 comes out of course :rolleyes:

As I understand it, bluetooth works only in RaiDroid, so it was a no brainer for me.

Guest lupinehorror

i just plamped villain 6.0 on my hero this morning...find it less 'snappy' than raidroid although i got gps working which i couldn't with the former (although i didn't investigate too thoroughly).

to be honest i'd go back to the modaco 3.2 if i could get a couple of 2.1 apps running (rackspace cloud servers for example and i much prefer the 2.1 market).

i, too, am waiting for modaco 4.0...like many, many others... ;)

Guest Xtiro
As I understand it, bluetooth works only in RaiDroid, so it was a no brainer for me.

Bluetooth file transfer works just fine with Villain 6.0

Guest Mansn

I've tried so many 2.1 ROMs ... and I always come back to MoDaCo, because nothing else can give me the speed, stability and battery life that MoDaCo can offer me.

I tried the VillainROM 5.5 and it was sluggish, Cronosdroid and it killed my batter and a load of other Sense enabled ROMs ... why is it that only Paul knows what is good for the Hero?

Guest jaffacake
Bluetooth file transfer works just fine with Villain 6.0

I'm talking about handsfree, I use the phone in the car a lot.

Guest jaffacake
I've tried so many 2.1 ROMs ... and I always come back to MoDaCo, because nothing else can give me the speed, stability and battery life that MoDaCo can offer me.

I tried the VillainROM 5.5 and it was sluggish, Cronosdroid and it killed my batter and a load of other Sense enabled ROMs ... why is it that only Paul knows what is good for the Hero?

He only uses official ROMs, that's why.

Guest _thomo
I'm talking about handsfree, I use the phone in the car a lot.

I use VillainROM 6.0 and it connects to my handsfree car kit no problem, didn't have an issue with 5.5 either.

VillainROM 6 is a lot better 5.5 doesn't seem as laggy, if you're having problems installing VillainROM 6.0 remember you need to wipe your EXT partition if you have one.

Also battery life is pretty good, probably similar to what I got of MCR 3.2

Edited by _thomo

Guest Dan Mullen
I use VillainROM 6.0 and it connects to my handsfree car kit no problem, didn't have an issue with 5.5 either.

VillainROM 6 is a lot better 5.5 doesn't seem as laggy, if you're having problems installing VillainROM 6.0 remember you need to wipe your EXT partition if you have one.

I had the Bluetooth audio problem with 5.5 - it was a show-stopper for me, back on MCR3.2.

Guest jaffacake

Does VillainROM have Sense?

Guest goatee

I'm very happy with Raidroid + Ben22 kernel. I don't have a bluetooth handsfree, so no idea if it works, but everything else is hunky dory. I use oc widget to underclock when the screen is off, and JuiceDefender, both of which mean the battery life is pretty much the same as it was with MCR 3.2. My only gripe is that in airplane mode, it seems to run down really quickly - not sure why though.

Guest crabman

I am using my HTC Hero with RaiDroid 1.1 , AutoKiller with Agressive Preset, Autostarts to reduce the starting apps, Ben 22 Legendary Kernel combine dwith SetCpu to upgrade my CPU to 710 mhz in the ondemand preset.

This brought me an improvement from a CPU Score from 150 with original RUU to 210 with this constilation.

I just can recommen this for everbody who wants a stable, fast 2.1 rom with Sense

greez crapman

P.S.: Maybe you have any tipps or improvements for me?

Guest Mansn

I just wanted to add my own $0.02 to this topic. I have been using MoDaCo 3.2 for ages now, and have been tempted by a load of 2.1 ROMs. Always returned to Modaco in the end.

However I gave Chronos a go the other day and after having to fiddle it a bit, it is now working rather well. I have installed 1.41 now with SetCPU running the CPU between 245 and 691 MHz when in use. It is plenty fast, pretty stable and has all the 2.1 apps I have wanted. With the dynamic overclock Chronos is probably faster than 3.2 MoDaCo in many cases.

I still am however waiting for Paul to get some tasty cooking going on as soon as the official ROM is released. I am pretty certain that I will be returning to MoDaCo as soon as a version is released.

PS: Does anyone else think that the text to speech in Android is shockingly bad? Just see how good TomTom is in comparison to the scratchy metallic voice on the Android plattform:

Guest keef319

Yep Cronos 1.4.1 FTW, at least until MCR4 comes out...

Battery life is fine after 2 or 3 days. I get over 32hrs. Very snappy. Just a small MMS glitch which is easily fixable...

Guest jaffacake

I switched from Raidroid 1.1 to Villain ROM 6.2.1 yesterday.

So far it appears a much better build. Consistent speed, better battery life and ext4 support.

Guest goatee
I switched from Raidroid 1.1 to Villain ROM 6.2.1 yesterday.

So far it appears a much better build. Consistent speed, better battery life and ext4 support.

How about Sense Hero? I'm thinking of trying either Sense Hero 2.1 or Villain 6.2, to compare against Raidroid (to be fair, my only problem with Raidroid, is that Airplane mode is unusable for me, as the battery plummets, and I also get a reasonable number of FCs if I leave my phone on for more than a day or so.

Guest trstn

I switched to Villain a few days ago, like Raidroid but Villain seems much better supported. If nothing else it's got an updater app installed, which is loads better than messing about downloading update.zips and moving them around manually.

Hey Paul, any chance of something similar when you release MoDaCo 4.0? :(

Guest pulser
I switched to Villain a few days ago, like Raidroid but Villain seems much better supported. If nothing else it's got an updater app installed, which is loads better than messing about downloading update.zips and moving them around manually.

Hey Paul, any chance of something similar when you release MoDaCo 4.0? :(

Ah. You like the OTA updater then? :o

It's a nice little feature. This 6.2 ROM seems really pretty fast now :(

Guest trstn

It's a great feature. I like to be bleeding edge and get updates as soon as they come out, never been a fan of finding out about stuff and at a computer and finding out there's been an update out for a week :(

Guest jaffacake
How about Sense Hero? I'm thinking of trying either Sense Hero 2.1 or Villain 6.2, to compare against Raidroid (to be fair, my only problem with Raidroid, is that Airplane mode is unusable for me, as the battery plummets, and I also get a reasonable number of FCs if I leave my phone on for more than a day or so.

Not tried Sense Hero, I went with Villain as it was the latest ROM available at the time. Generally, newest equals best.

Villain has everything that Raidroid does only it's quicker and less broken. Not seen a FC yet and battery life is improved. Unless something changes drastically, I will be sticking with this one for the foreseeable future. In my opinion, it's better than the official T-Mobile 1.5 ROM!