USB Tethering / Linux

Guest Ale Baba

Guest Ale Baba

I've read, that the HTC devices are supposed to support USB tethering out of the box. Is anyone using that feature in e.g. Ubuntu (where it is said to work out of the box)?

I don't even get the right logs in syslog (that there is a modem found), so I guess it will have something to do with a missing kernel module.

If it works for you, could you post me a "lsmod" or a hint (like part of the related syslog)?

I'm using modaco custom r2 without additions.

Guest Ale Baba

Ok, I don't like to answer my own questions in my threads, but after searching a "little" more, recompiling the kernel, trying a "few" modules, I found the answer.

It's "rndis_host" (CONFIG_USB_NET_RNDIS_HOST) and works for me with NM (even DHCP).

Guest __Deyan__
I've read, that the HTC devices are supposed to support USB tethering out of the box. Is anyone using that feature in e.g. Ubuntu (where it is said to work out of the box)?

I don't even get the right logs in syslog (that there is a modem found), so I guess it will have something to do with a missing kernel module.

If it works for you, could you post me a "lsmod" or a hint (like part of the related syslog)?

I'm using modaco custom r2 without additions.

Tethering under linux worts OOTB. Just connect the phone, choose "Internet sharing" and linux will to the rest.

For example I use ubuntu, when I plug my phone in, after few seconds the network manager starts connecting.

How it works at a low level: When you choose "Internet sharing" on your phone, android will present the device as a rndis network device.

So linux will load the rndis_lite module and from that point the phone will be visible to linux as a network interface.

The phone provides DHCP so the new network interface will get its IP, default gateway, DNS automatically.

The same works with all other phones that support rndis - nokia symbian, htc phones with windows mobile , etc.

If you want to use bluetooth - linux does support that ootb as well. There is a nice wizard in the bluetooth app.

Cheers,

Deyan