[ALL USERS! USB-disabling ("bricking") issue] - Data gathering

Guest afiorillo

Guest TheScrub

Just submitted my Desires info, so that makes at least 32 now :rolleyes:

Are there any early indications of what could be causing the problem, common build dates, software versions etc?

Guest Shawe
Just submitted my Desires info, so that makes at least 32 now :rolleyes:

Are there any early indications of what could be causing the problem, common build dates, software versions etc?

Are you "USB-Bricked"?

Yes 6 17%

No 29 83%

From total 49 bricked reports on the forum. I think that more people is needed for have any indication.

Guest TheScrub
Are you "USB-Bricked"?

Yes 6 17%

No 29 83%

From total 49 bricked reports on the forum. I think that more people is needed for have any indication.

I wasn't unfortunate enough to have it happen to me, hope this gets resolved soon for those that are affected.

Edited by TheScrub

Guest afiorillo

To date we have:

44 records filed

61% of devices purchased on April, 2010 (32% on May)

50% of carrier supplied devices

57% of unbranded devices

75% of v0.75 bootloaders

20% "bricked" devices

18% had problems starting the console

27% had the console exiting by itself

23% had the console flickering

32% had the console freezing

14% did see the unwanted connection type dialog

On "bricked" population:

61% was using a non-stock cable

73% was using an USB hub

14% was on win64, 11% on win32, 2% on linux

14% (way the most) had run 0-10 times the console before bricking, 5% 10-20 times

Thank you for your precious collaboration, keep going! We need a way larger basis before we can make some reliable statistics. :rolleyes:

Edited by afiorillo

Guest afiorillo

It's interesting to note that only two people from the "bricked" population declared that had none of the "premonitions" between:

• Have you ever had problems starting the recovery console?
  • Have you ever seen the recovery console exit back to the black screen w/ triangle?
  • Have you ever seen the recovery console "flicker" or anything like that?
  • Have you ever seen the recovery console freezing requiring a new go?
  • Have you ever seen the "Choose connection type" dialog popup unexpected while leaving the device connected to USB?

While many has declared more that one of them.

Guest svyat
It's interesting to note that only two people from the "bricked" population declared that had none of the "premonitions" between:
  • Have you ever had problems starting the recovery console?
  • Have you ever seen the recovery console exit back to the black screen w/ triangle?
  • Have you ever seen the recovery console "flicker" or anything like that?
  • Have you ever seen the recovery console freezing requiring a new go?
  • Have you ever seen the "Choose connection type" dialog popup unexpected while leaving the device connected to USB?

While many has declared more that one of them.

I actually find it much more interesting that the majority of bricked ones report using USB hub or non-stock cables.

65% with non-stock USB cable and 74% with a USB hub.

I am not allowed to see the detailed data of every single vote so it's up to you to check if there are any "bricked" users, who have not used any of both. Because if there aren't or at least there's a very small amount of them, this would mean the best finding possible for this survey: use stock USB cable without a hub and you're safe :rolleyes:

Guest MIYU-G
To my mind you are missing two key questions:

Did it boot loop before bricking?

If so, how many times?

I am convinced that this is being caused by that chunk of code that counts failed boots then appears to disable usb and SD. It all fits too well to be anything but.

previous thread had told us that not the issue cause the usb-bricked

Guest yabolek
When you complete the form, for you don't appear a link to see the results?

I just filled in the report. Accidentally I filled out a couple of 'bricked-only' sections :rolleyes:

Are there any P/N patterns in the bricked section?

Guest StuMcBill

Is there a way to run the recovery using TinyCoreLinux?

Just wondered if *anyone* had bricked while using TinyCoreLinux, could be a small workaround?

Guest pina

some problems during filling in the form: you didn't specify whether you want to know the CURRENT rom/kernel/bootloader or the one that we had at the moment of bricking...? I suggest it would be at the moment of bricking, but it's not entirely clear. Besides, now I have bootaloader 0.8 and rom 1.21, but I don't know what my kernel version was back then.

Guest AsayWat

This is very interesting.

I'm not bricked (yet) but am very interested in getting this issue resolved.

Whilst I can't see all of the data the summary above is definitely leaning towards the theory of USB instability.

I presume that those percentages are rounded up?

Roughly 32 out of 44 were using a USB hub!!! <- That speaks for itself IMHO.

Guest afiorillo
some problems during filling in the form: you didn't specify whether you want to know the CURRENT rom/kernel/bootloader or the one that we had at the moment of bricking...? I suggest it would be at the moment of bricking, but it's not entirely clear. Besides, now I have bootaloader 0.8 and rom 1.21, but I don't know what my kernel version was back then.

You should input informations coherent with the moment of the "bricking", as far as you can. Obviously, only if you're "bricked". :rolleyes:

Guest Fiouz

Do people with stock ROM have to fill that form? There is no "Is your phone rooted?" question (I didn't even try to root and I filled the form already) but I'm looking to see this issue fixed.

Edited by Fiouz

Guest yabolek
Roughly 32 out of 44 were using a USB hub!!! <- That speaks for itself IMHO.

It definitely speaks for itself...

44 records filed

20% "bricked" devices

On "bricked" population:

73% was using an USB hub

So approx 6,5 out of 9 were using USB hub... not 32 out of 44 :rolleyes:

Guest afiorillo
Do people with stock ROM have to fill that form? There is no "Is your phone rooted?" question (I didn't even try to root and I filled the form already) but I'm looking to see this issue fixed.

Devices have to be added into this investigation as long as the recovery console was used on them, regardless of what kind of operation the users have done or not have done. :rolleyes:

Guest Emmepi

From my expérience...

In my former flat, i had devices plugged on hub...

In this flat, my fridge/freezer, when it stopped making cold, i saw electric "bugs/parasites/disturbances" on my TV, and the same freezer was able to disconnect devices plugged on hub !!! (unknown devices after electric freezer cold making...) I had to unplug-replug to make them recognize again...

So electric disturbances from other devices (freezer, electric heaters, hairdryers... devices with a big electric consumption) can make an electric "micro-cut"...

Guest AsayWat
It definitely speaks for itself...

So approx 6,5 out of 9 were using USB hub... not 32 out of 44 :rolleyes:

You are quite right! :D

It was obviously far too early.

That works out as 72.2%

Edited by AsayWat

Guest Elbereth

I did the rooting & MCR flashing on my laptop with full battery and directly on the USB port, it did not "usb-brick". If this can be of any help regarding the "usb-bricking".

Guest AsayWat

Something that may be of relevance..

What about HBOOT upgrades?

I wonder what portion of bricked .80 users (if any) have actually upgraded from .75?

This could possibly help point towards defective hardware.