Don't just flash UPDATA files, unless you really know what you're doing...

Guest BigBearMDC

Guest BigBearMDC

Hi guys

First of all, if you don't know what an UPDATA update does, don't flash it.

I'll explain you here in short what it does, and what you can do to get your old ROM back.

How does an UPDATA update work?

jMVVjp0uK4.png

A normal update.zip only reflashes the Android part of your Phone (the green part of the picture).

An UPDATA update reflashes your whole device, inluding the firmware and bootloader (orange part of the picture).

The first thing the UPDATA update proces checks is the bootloader version.

As the bootloader is part of the firmware, it only gets reflashed during an UPDATA update.

The UPDATA file contains a list, in which every bootloader version that can be upgraded is noticed.

If the bootloader version matches one of the list, the update will be installed, and it will overwrite your bootloader.

Thus the version of your bootloader gets changed.

If you now want to install another (older) update, it does the whole procedure again.

But what happens if the update you're trying to install is older than the installed update?

Well, the list of upgradeable bootloader versions can't contain the new newer bootloader versions that's installed on your device, as this version did not exist when the older update was released!

So what will happen?

The bootloader version won't match and the update will fail with "OEM_SBL_VERSION_UNMATCHED" (in the update log file in the /dload folder).

As you already should have understood, there's now way to install the older UPDATA update.

But there is still the possibility to unpack the UPDATA file and flash the containing images manually.

What to do if you installed an UPDATA update?

There are two things you can do:

1. Wait for a newer (official) version of your ROM and flash it
  2. Unpack the UPDATA file and flash it manually
How to unpack and flash an UPDATA file manually

Unpack the UPDATA.APP file using the "split_updata.pl" script (credits go to McSpoon) found here.

You will now have a folder called "out" where all the files of the UPDATA files will get extracted into.

Now you have to identify the boot (2.2 ~ 2.3 MB) and system image (~50+ MB) (optianally the userdata image too) and flash them via fastboot.

Beware oft that the images might have other names, so the system image could have the name "file32.mbn", the same is applicable for the boot image.

Just look at the filesize.

Now flash it (this will erase all of your data, so make a backup!):

$sudo su
# ./fastboot-linux erase system
# ./fastboot-linux erase userdata
# ./fastboot-linux erase boot
# ./fastboot-linux erase cache
# ./fastboot-linux flash boot ./your-boot.img
# ./fastboot-linux flash system ./your-system.img
# ./fastboot-linux reboot[/code]

Once done, you should be able to use your phone like you're used to it, before installing the UPDATA update.

If your touchscreen stops working, you'll have to replace your kernel.

Best regards,

BigBear

Edited by BigBearMDC

Guest eckengucker1

You should ask Paul for becoming a Mod...

Nice one!

BTW: As far as I know you can add the higher bootloader version to the .txt-file stored in updata-root-directory in the december-updata can't you? Should work too?!?

Edited by eckengucker1

Guest BigBearMDC
You should ask Paul for becoming a Mod...

Nice one!

BTW: As far as I know you can add the higher bootloader version to the .txt-file stored in updata-root-directory in the december-updata can't you? Should work too?!?

Which file??

Guest gusthy
Hi guys

I'll explain you here in short what it does, and what you can do to get your old ROM back.

jMVVjp0uK4.png

A normal update.zip only reflashes the Android part of your Phone (the green part of the picture).

An UPDATA update reflashes your whole device, inluding the firmware and bootloader (orange part of the picture).

As the bootloader is part of the firmware, it only gets reflashed during an UPDATA update.

The UPDATA file contains a list, in which every bootloader version that can be upgraded is noticed.

If the bootloader version matches one of the list, the update will be installed, and it will overwrite your bootloader.

If you now want to install another (older) update, it does the whole procedure again.

But what happens if the update you're trying to install is older than the installed update?

Well, the list of upgradeable bootloader versions can't contain the new newer bootloader versions that's installed on your device, as this version did not exist when the older update was released!

So what will happen?

The bootloader version won't match and the update will fail with "OEM_SBL_VERSION_UNMATCHED" (in the update log file in the /dload folder).

As you already should have understood, there's now way to install the older UPDATA update.

But there is still the possibility to unpack the UPDATA file and flash the containing images manually.

Unpack the UPDATA.APP file using the "split_updata.pl" script (credits go to McSpoon) found here.

You will now have a folder called "out" where all the files of the UPDATA files will get extracted into.

Now you have to identify the boot (2.2 ~ 2.3 MB) and system image (~50+ MB) (optianally the userdata image too) and flash them via fastboot.

Beware oft that the images might have other names, so the system image could have the name "file32.mbn", the same is applicable for the boot image.

$sudo su

# ./fastboot-linux flash boot ./your-boot.img

# ./fastboot-linux flash system ./your-system.img

# ./fastboot-linux reboot

Once done, you should be able to use your phone like you're used to it, before installing the UPDATA update.

Best regards,

BigBear

To be exact I tried this with the huawei rom and dec update.

At the end of the process, android of Dec update boots, but touchscreen is dead.

So I had to reinstall huawei boot.img (or superboot-huawei) in order to work.

Guest BigBearMDC
To be exact I tried this with the huawei rom and dec update.

At the end of the process, android of Dec update boots, but touchscreen is dead.

So I had to reinstall huawei boot.img (or superboot-huawei) in order to work.

Yap that's exactly the problem that prevents me from going back to cupcake :rolleyes:

Guest speedme

What if you apply the filename of the December Update (T-Mobile) to the 'upgradable_versions.txt' extracted from the UPDATA ?

As far as I understand does the 'upgradable_versions.txt' contain all the filenames from the (future) updates which can be updated.

But theoretically it could also downgrade to the December Update if the correct filename is in the 'upgradable_versions.txt'.....right ?

Or does the touchscreen then not work anymore ?

Guest sbadger
What if you apply the filename of the December Update (T-Mobile) to the 'upgradable_versions.txt' extracted from the UPDATA ?

As far as I understand does the 'upgradable_versions.txt' contain all the filenames from the (future) updates which can be updated.

But theoretically it could also downgrade to the December Update if the correct filename is in the 'upgradable_versions.txt'.....right ?

Or does the touchscreen then not work anymore ?

I think the problem we're facing is working out how to recompile the .APP file successfully after altering the files within it.

Guest BigBearMDC
I think the problem we're facing is working out how to recompile the .APP file successfully after altering the files within it.

Yap that's the problem =/

If we could change the upgradeable versions list, we could downgrade.

Greetings,

BigBear

Guest BigBearMDC
Hmm, we have so many updata.app to compare. It shouldn't be impossible to work it out.

Have you ever tried to find a ~20 characters long string in a 130 MB large file using a HEX editor?

:(

Guest makmondeja

Thanks BigBear. Worked like a charm. Maybe you can now join Paul in developing a new MCR with the recently released official 2.1 update from T-Mobile Hungary. :(

Guest BigBearMDC
Thanks BigBear. Worked like a charm. Maybe you can now join Paul in developing a new MCR with the recently released official 2.1 update from T-Mobile Hungary. :(

Once the community has calmed down a bit and I have an overview which ROMs there are currently floating around I'll see what I can do :-)

Guest Dalius
Hi guys

jMVVjp0uK4.png

So what will happen?

$sudo su

# ./fastboot-linux flash boot ./

# ./fastboot-linux flash system ./

# ./fastboot-linux reboot

If your touchscreen stops working, you'll have to replace your kernel.

Best regards,

BigBear

Hey bigbear,two questions .

1st,the flash code you provided is for Linux ,could you gimme a windows version ?

2nd,can I just erase the system ,userdata,boot and cache without the your-boot.img,your-system.img.and do a dload update of the Hungary 2.1 ?

thanks very much .

Guest Josh04
Have you ever tried to find a ~20 characters long string in a 130 MB large file using a HEX editor?

:(

split_updata.pl cuts the majority of it out. It's not easy, but it's made easier : P

Guest winterhasarrived

HAve I screwed anything up by updating with the chinese updata to cure the no vibration problem?

Can I still use Pauls 2.1 MCR and all otf the others which are floating about or do I need to follow the process described in this thread?

Guest igor_anta
HAve I screwed anything up by updating with the chinese updata to cure the no vibration problem?

Can I still use Pauls 2.1 MCR and all otf the others which are floating about or do I need to follow the process described in this thread?

Just apply the Hungarian 2.1 update, the official update, and you're good to go. No worries :( Cheers!

Guest devilb

I cannot flash the 2.1 official update by this method, it say "sending 'system' <110535 KB>...Failed <remote: data too large>, HELP!

Guest BigBearMDC
I cannot flash the 2.1 official update by this method, it say "sending 'system' <110535 KB>...Failed <remote: data too large>, HELP!

You'll have to install the original update first, or use the beta r6.1 custom ROM.

Guest devilb
You'll have to install the original update first, or use the beta r6.1 custom ROM.

I have been updated HK PCCW B275 FIRMWARE before...I found update failed when I install the original update of 2.1... :(

Guest Dalius

Hey bigbear,my build date in the ADB mode displayed May 11 2010 , how can I roll it back to Nov 26 2009 because I can't do app2sd to any 1.5 version rom anymore