It's dead..... New screen needed

Guest squirreleater

Guest squirreleater

Well a seemingly small fall ( 2 foot) resulted in my Nexus screen going all washed out and hardly readable, over the next few hours it got worse and worse so that now I cannot use the phone......

The phone works fine, as does the touch screen! strange, I just answer calls by pressing where I know the answer button should be!

The phone was in it's case, but landed right on a corner at a perfect90 degrees to the ground, so I guess the shock went straight through the phone, breaking the screen (the glass is fine, it is below that has gone.

Jeese I'm fed up

20100527155810.jpg

Guest fuzio1963
Well a seemingly small fall ( 2 foot) resulted in my Nexus screen going all washed out and hardly readable, over the next few hours it got worse and worse so that now I cannot use the phone......

The phone works fine, as does the touch screen! strange, I just answer calls by pressing where I know the answer button should be!

The phone was in it's case, but landed right on a corner at a perfect90 degrees to the ground, so I guess the shock went straight through the phone, breaking the screen (the glass is fine, it is below that has gone.

Jeese I'm fed up

20100527155810.jpg

OUCH!!! That hurts!!! :rolleyes:

Guest sonicjuice

Painful...

I've been on the point of buying an N1 for the last few weeks - but this is my biggest fear and the reason I haven't hit the buy button yet!

I've read stories that these phones are slightly more fragile to drops than the Desire....but not so much that it's a major design fault. I guess it's just how these new screens are.

Hope HTC are kind to you!

** Update: My N1 gets delivered today! :-)

Edited by sonicjuice

Guest Nerds 2 You

I dropped my Nexus 1 from about 5 feet twice now, and it took a few good bounces and it worked perfectly afterwards. However my N1 finally met its match when it got dunked in a pool of water while plugged in and stayed there for about 10 minutes before I noticed that it happened :rolleyes: . I sent it to HTC who told me the repair was $283 CDN which probably means they are replacing everything that isn't plastic.

I really wish there was a better phone already available on the market such as the upcoming "HTC Vision" and I would gladly buy that instead of getting my N1 repaired. I am currently using my Motorola Milestone but once you get used to the speed and performance of the N1 you just can't go back, physical keyboard or not. :D

Guest Rocky7

I work for a major mobile player in the UK and my advice? Don't drop your (insert name of any phone you like here) !

I have dropped phones out of my pocket cycling to work and they have been unscathed, I have then dropped the same model out of my bag on to the desk and trashed the screen or cracked the motherboardDrop any device and if you are unlucky and it lands just wrong then it will trash it.

once broke a ruggedised laptop by slamming the lid shut in my rush to get out of the door at 6pm.

Edit: my wife's nexus one has two dints in the top right corner of the case where she sent it rolling down the road on the first day she got it. It is still working fine.

Edited by Rocky7

Guest Batkoto

Jeese I'm fed up

20100527155810.jpg

Mate,

if HTC are not very kind and you need to go to plan "B", check out ebay for LCD panels and replace it yourself

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Original-LCD-Screen...=item588780a198

or

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/FULL-LCD-Display-To...=item27b1f36a7c

P.S. For LCD quality and resistance, you can blame Samsung, as they manufacture the LCD for N1 :(

Edited by Batkoto

Guest ludo218
However my N1 finally met its match when it got dunked in a pool of water while plugged in and stayed there for about 10 minutes before I noticed that it happened :( .

You win :(

Guest squirreleater

Thanks for the advice.

an update for you (I will update this as we go for reference, we may as well learn from my mistake!)

HTC picked up the phone this afternoon, I rung them at 9.15 and they arranged it, emailed me within 5 mins with the various info...

Apparently the LCD screen replacement is about £60 parts and labour, not bad at all in my opinion, should be 7 days.

Turns out the call centre in in bournemouth! I used to live about 3 miles from them, and the Girl I spoke to also had a Nexus! Repair centre is in Milton Keynes.

She also wouldn't/ couldn't tell me when the OFFICIAL 2.2 froyo would drop, but she did say "in june" ( The 2.2 out there is just a developers rom, not official)

Guest sonicjuice
Thanks for the advice.

an update for you (I will update this as we go for reference, we may as well learn from my mistake!)

HTC picked up the phone this afternoon, I rung them at 9.15 and they arranged it, emailed me within 5 mins with the various info...

Apparently the LCD screen replacement is about £60 parts and labour, not bad at all in my opinion, should be 7 days.

Turns out the call centre in in bournemouth! I used to live about 3 miles from them, and the Girl I spoke to also had a Nexus! Repair centre is in Milton Keynes.

She also wouldn't/ couldn't tell me when the OFFICIAL 2.2 froyo would drop, but she did say "in june" ( The 2.2 out there is just a developers rom, not official)

£60 - that is reasonable I think. Kinda puts my mind at rest that, should the same befall me, I'm not looking at having to buy a brand new N1!

Guest Rocky7
Thanks for the advice.

That is impressive ... let us know how it gets on and what the final costs are inc shipping and VAT!

Edited by Rocky7

Guest Deathwish238

A friend of mine broke his screen and had it replaced the same day for around $150. The touchscreen still works so they'll just need to replace the AMOLED below the touchscreen layer and not both pieces. He had the same issue. If they had to replace both, it'ld cost almost double for parts.

Guest squirreleater
That is impressive ... let us know how it gets on and what the final costs are inc shipping and VAT!

Ok, an update.

They emailed me Thursday morning with a quote of £78 delivered to repair the screen, I emailed them back as soon as I could to confirm.

I then emailed the lady who seemed to be looking after my job and she confirmed they had indeed received my confirmation and payment- closely followed by an automated response.

I hoped for an email Friday to confirm delivery etc, but I'm still waiting.....Maybe if I'd replied straight away it would have sped it up?....

So you know, they email you a quote with a link to pay either the repair, return of the phone as it was or tell them to bin it. You Cannot pay over the phone (I tried) you have to pay via online with a credit card.

I will post when I get an email confirming delivery and again when it arrives, so you know the overall timescale.

Guest Shmoopty

I had that same "perfect drop" where mine landed right on its side. About 3.5 feet.

Same results. Hairline crack at first. Screen looked like that after 8 hours. After 2 days, it was completely unreadable. So if this happens to you, recover what you can immediately because the screen will get worse.

HTC overnighted me (free shipping) a new Nexus and sent a shipping label (also free) to return my injured one. Here in the US, they shipped via FedEx and required a signature in person. (I picked it up at the FedEx facility, since I couldn't take a day off)

Despite being unlocked, rooted, and running a yet-unreleased HTC Desire ROM, final charge for a new phone swap was $US 125.

Edited by Shmoopty

Guest squirreleater
I had that same "perfect drop" where mine landed right on its side. About 3.5 feet.

Same results. Hairline crack at first. Screen looked like that after 8 hours. After 2 days, it was completely unreadable. So if this happens to you, recover what you can immediately because the screen will get worse.

HTC overnighted me (free shipping) a new Nexus and sent a shipping label (also free) to return my injured one. Here in the US, they shipped via FedEx and required a signature in person. (I picked it up at the FedEx facility, since I couldn't take a day off)

Despite being unlocked, rooted, and running a yet-unreleased HTC Desire ROM, final charge for a new phone swap was $US 125.

Very good advice, I did have time to do various backups but didn't, by the time I twigged it was too late.

Guest Webreaper

Just to add another bit of anecdotal evidence, I dropped my N1 last week and shattered the screen. Called my insurer, who said it would cost £100 excess, and would take "several days" to find out even what would happen (repair/replace) let alone get anything done. Called HTC, who confirmed a replacement touchscreen would be £60. They sent a courier to collect the same afternoon, and suggested the turnaround time would by ~5 working days.

That was Thursday. On Friday they confirmed receipt of the phone on their online tracking system, and Monday they confirmed the details of the screen damage. LED panel was also damaged, unfortunately, and the bevel (not sure how, it was a 2-3ft drop onto a tile floor, but still). Total cost will be £105, which I paid online last night. Just waiting for them to repair and ship it back to me now...

Very good service, very efficient, and took some of the pain out of the distress of smashing the screen.

I didn't have to worry about backups; everything is on the SD card (which I took out, along with the SIM and battery before sending to them) and all my contacts etc are synced to the Web. I made a quick list of the apps I've installed just to save me the bother of remembering what I installed. I then reset the device to factory settings (HTC do that anyway as part of the repair process) which gave me a chance to test the WaveSecure remote lock feature - pretty cool! :)

When I get the phone back, I'll pop the SIM and SD card in, and should be back up and running in about 15 mins. Just need to do a mass-install of all my apps then, and I'm back to where I was.

Interestingly, HTC state in the documentation that repaired phones will be factory reset and the latest version of the OS will be clean-installed. I wonder whether this will be Froyo, or if they'll actually end up rolling my phone back to 2.1. :)

Guest squirreleater
Just to add another bit of anecdotal evidence, I dropped my N1 last week and shattered the screen. Called my insurer, who said it would cost £100 excess, and would take "several days" to find out even what would happen (repair/replace) let alone get anything done. Called HTC, who confirmed a replacement touchscreen would be £60. They sent a courier to collect the same afternoon, and suggested the turnaround time would by ~5 working days.

That was Thursday. On Friday they confirmed receipt of the phone on their online tracking system, and Monday they confirmed the details of the screen damage. LED panel was also damaged, unfortunately, and the bevel (not sure how, it was a 2-3ft drop onto a tile floor, but still). Total cost will be £105, which I paid online last night. Just waiting for them to repair and ship it back to me now...

Very good service, very efficient, and took some of the pain out of the distress of smashing the screen.

I didn't have to worry about backups; everything is on the SD card (which I took out, along with the SIM and battery before sending to them) and all my contacts etc are synced to the Web. I made a quick list of the apps I've installed just to save me the bother of remembering what I installed. I then reset the device to factory settings (HTC do that anyway as part of the repair process) which gave me a chance to test the WaveSecure remote lock feature - pretty cool! :)

When I get the phone back, I'll pop the SIM and SD card in, and should be back up and running in about 15 mins. Just need to do a mass-install of all my apps then, and I'm back to where I was.

Interestingly, HTC state in the documentation that repaired phones will be factory reset and the latest version of the OS will be clean-installed. I wonder whether this will be Froyo, or if they'll actually end up rolling my phone back to 2.1. :)

I've been wondering that? will they un-root my phone and will it come with 2.2?

The girl at HTC said it was officially due in "June"......

Guest squirreleater
I've been wondering that? will they un-root my phone and will it come with 2.2?

The girl at HTC said it was officially due in "June"......

Well, hopefully I will find out very soon!

An email today from HTC saying phone was repaired and would be with me within a couple of days.

FYI: they automatically send it back to the address it was picked up from.

Mention to Sarah G at HTC who has been superb at responding to my pathetic pleading to get it fixed and back to me asap!

Guest squirreleater

Another update, email this morning from HTC , my device will be picked up today and delivered tomorrow by UPS. Hurrah!

Guest squirreleater

Final update.

Phone arrived this morning via UPS, the day after An email letting me know it was shipping.

It has come Re-Locked! It was rooted and running a MCR rom, that has all gone and is back to how it was from google all those months ago- gits! ( No padlock on startup screen)

Overall very good service from HTC, certainly try them before any others if you damage your phone.

• 2 months later...
Guest t0ph0id
Final update.

Phone arrived this morning via UPS, the day after An email letting me know it was shipping.

It has come Re-Locked! It was rooted and running a MCR rom, that has all gone and is back to how it was from google all those months ago- gits! ( No padlock on startup screen)

Overall very good service from HTC, certainly try them before any others if you damage your phone.

I'm about to return my Nexus One with the same fault and I'm glad to read you had such good customer service.

All I want to confirm is whether it's my screen/digitizer that's cracked or the LCD screen beneath it?

When I switch the phone nothing appears but I now it's on because it vibrates on boot up as normal.

Can anyone confirm for me?

post-756540-1283706034_thumb.jpg

Guest squirreleater
I'm about to return my Nexus One with the same fault and I'm glad to read you had such good customer service.

All I want to confirm is whether it's my screen/digitizer that's cracked or the LCD screen beneath it?

When I switch the phone nothing appears but I now it's on because it vibrates on boot up as normal.

Can't really tell from that pic. My glass on the surface was completely ok, the visible damage was underneath.

My phone booted and was even working for a bit, but gradually as the lcd died so did the phones ability to respond, eventually I couldn't get anything other than the physical buttons to respond.

my gf droped hers twice, from the waist down, on the second time the screen cracked in quite a few places, won't even show any image anymore, but the phone is still working...

I ordered a new screen from cnn.cn, should arrive tomorrow or so, and I'm gonna have to do the replacement, since we don't have service suport anywhere near here...

I'll post some pics of the proccess, hopefully it will work again when I'm done eheh

Guest wdfowty

I have dropped my nexus a grand total of 4 times (hamfaced drunk but that's not the point lol), and the screen is still flawless. Something in the camera assemble is rattling though, and it's really unnerving. It's gotten to the point that I've turned haptic feedback off for all buttons just to avoid hearing the rattle.

A word of advice, never buy a nexus case from eBay. It doesn't even fit right, much less protect the phone.

Guest Nerds 2 You

I can't really tell from that angle but it looks like the digitizer. The easiest way to tell is if the image is completely distorted or not (see image above). If the image is perfectly fine but you see a crack then it is only the Digitizer, if the screen is completely or mostly unreadable then it is the LCD panel or both. The Digitizer is simply the plastic screen on the surface of the front of your phone, the LCD panel is underneath it and not physically attached to it.

I just experienced the same small drop from about 4 feet yesterday and my screen cracked as well, I immediately ordered a new screen for $81 US incl shipping from Ebay. My digitizer is fine or it would have been an additional $40

Here is a link to the teardown of the phone if anyone needs it. The images show how to completely get the N1 apart and should be enough to help you replace your own screen, you can also see what the LCD and Digitizer look like seperately, the Digitizer is attached to the front housing and includes the menu, home etc buttons.

http://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/12262/H...exus+One+screenN1 Teardown

Edited by Nerds 2 You

I've done it, her phone is alive again, but it was quite troublesome... took me about 2 hours to do the whole thing (second time ever taking a cell phone apart, first time was her siemens, that didn't quite work after lol)

the above guide helped me take it apart, as well as the video on cnn.cn, on the digitalizer link, but putting it back together was the hard part, luckly I found these youtube videos that helped quite a bit

http://www.youtube.com/user/slickromeo

I'll post some pics of the proccess tomorrow or by monday