OFFICAL 2.1 OTA is OUT

Guest nickppl

Guest prupert

I use Vanilladroid by RaduG - it is stable and fast as hell with OverClocking. It is Vanilla though, no Sense, but I didn't like Sense anyway:

http://www.vanilladroid.com/

The only thing not working is audio over Bluetooth iirc.

Have been using it for 3 weeks with no problems.

Guest masterpfa
Well it's kinda anticlimactic at this point. Very decent and usable 2.1 roms for hero have been around for a long time now. I just can't be excited now that Froyo is taking over the news.

Still, I look forward to what Paul does with this.

+1

I have settled on a decent 2.1 ROM which gives me everything I need right now with only a fews things yet to be sorted out.

I won't be running stock 2.1 or even sense UI 2.1 so I'll just wait for the DEVS working on Vanilla 2.1 ROMS, Radu and MaXo, to get the official sources they need to perfect their ROMS.

But if official, it is good news, but as said earlier Froyo is here now, I wonder if HTC will even bother with us and provding us with that or Gingerbread??? :(

The wait is over

<f5>

<f5>

<f5>

Just watching this space for any announcement from Paul :(

I use Vanilladroid by RaduG - it is stable and fast as hell with OverClocking. It is Vanilla though, no Sense, but I didn't like Sense anyway:

The only thing not working is audio over Bluetooth iirc.

Have been using it for 3 weeks with no problems.

+1

Been using Radu's VanillaEclair from the start, like yourself the only thing not working that I would like is A2DP bluetooth. Otherwise a very smooth fast ROM

Edited by masterpfa

Guest kn8sk
Good points there mate!

Out of interest, what 2.1 ROM are you using for daily use? I never found one that I was happy with...

I'm now on VillainROM 6.x, without overclocking, uninstalled some HTC apps I don't use (stocks, footprints...), fell in love with LauncherPro. No instability (when I don't try to overclock, or "tweak" it too much), its pretty fast, and everything I use works. And since everything works for me, I'm not really trying to update it every day, or with every minor update (I'm lazy, and I just want to use the phone :(.

Guest prupert
+1

I have settled on a decent 2.1 ROM which gives me everything I need right now with only a fews things yet to be sorted out.

I won't be running stock 2.1 or even sense UI 2.1 so I'll just wait for the DEVS working on Vanilla 2.1 ROMS, Radu and MaXo, to get the official sources they need to perfect their ROMS.

But if official, it is good news, but as said earlier Froyo is here now, I wonder if HTC will even bother with us and provding us with that or Gingerbread??? :(

The wait is over

<f5>

<f5>

<f5>

Just watching this space for any announcement from Paul :(

I think HTC have already confirmed that the Hero wont be getting Froyo. They said all phones released in 2010 will get Froyo, but couldn't confirm if older phones will get it. Due to the obvious stress they have had in getting Eclair to work with Sense on the Hero, I see no chance of them even bothering with Froyo.

It's up to the devs to do it for us. The VillainRom guys have already said they are working on it, but say that, as ever, drivers are an issue and that could be the real stumbling block. The 2.1 ROMs have only gotten really good of late because of leaks of official 2.1 ROMs for the Hero from HTC. If they don't even bother making a 2.2 ROM, then the drivers wont get leaked and then the 2.2 ROMs will always have problems.

I think if you have a Hero, stick with 2.1 and if you want 2.2, you are gonna have to get a new phone. Anyway, Google say they are gonna move to a 1 yearly release. So, stick with a 12 month contract in the UK and you can get a new phone with the new OS each year!! That's my plan moving forward.

Guest prupert
I'm now on VillainROM 6.x, without overclocking, uninstalled some HTC apps I don't use (stocks, footprints...), fell in love with LauncherPro. No instability (when I don't try to overclock, or "tweak" it too much), its pretty fast, and everything I use works. And since everything works for me, I'm not really trying to update it every day, or with every minor update (I'm lazy, and I just want to use the phone :(.

Yeah, LauncherPro is super cool aint it!!

OverClocking works well on a Vanilla ROM, I guess Sense just takes up too much memory for it to be stable with OC.

Guest masterpfa
I think HTC have already confirmed that the Hero wont be getting Froyo. They said all phones released in 2010 will get Froyo, but couldn't confirm if older phones will get it.

With the "Joke" that was the 2.1 for Hero release, truth be told I never expected 2.2 Froyo, I was just saying I cannot get excited about this delayed release. I'm due an upgrade in November so will check out my options then. So far the choices are Nexus 1(my favourite! Update first etc.), HTC Desire, Samsung galaxy S (although will depend on if it is rootable!), waiting to see if HTC Evo 4G get's released in some form in the UK, or a yet to be revealed new addition all singing all dancing Super Smart Phone :( :( :o

Edited by masterpfa

Guest PhilUK

I have used Villain roms since it came out, the Villain 6 rom is a fully functioning 2.1. I wanted to go vanilla but there aren't any that have bluetooth calls working.

So I just run LauncherPRO, fast and stable, awesome rom, in fact that's what we all said when Paul's final hero rom was out too.

Villain and others are all on overclock-able kernels, you can run any speed you like upto 730mhz in some cases.

There are no battery issues on Villain 6.

HTC will have to have something special to beat Villain, that's all.

Guest bunt83

Paul just tweeted:

Hero 2.1 rooted repack uploading shortly...

20 minutes ago via Twitter for iPhone

Edited by bunt83

Guest Vido.Ardes
With the "Joke" that was the 2.1 for Hero release, truth be told I never expected 2.2 Froyo, I was just saying I cannot get excited about this delayed release. I'm due an upgrade in November so will check out my options then. So far the choices are Nexus 1(my favourite! Update first etc.), HTC Desire, Samsung galaxy S (although will depend on if it is rootable!), waiting to see if HTC Evo 4G get's released in some form in the UK, or a yet to be revealed new addition all singing all dancing Super Smart Phone :( :( :o

My upgrade isn't due till April next year so I am hoping to get some 4" device, perhaps on a next gen ARM or Snapdragon (1.5GHz or dual core)... until then I will be happy with a stable 2.1 ROM for my Hero. I probably won't mess around with the 2.2 builds now unless someone manages to get a really stable JIT implementation going, 2.1 brings all the functionality I was missing.

Guest lundefugl
Good points there mate!

Out of interest, what 2.1 ROM are you using for daily use? I never found one that I was happy with...

I've tried about all of them, and the latest star in the ROM universe is Cronos Droid which I find the best at the moment

Cronos Droid 1.5 comes in four flavors:

-BFS kernel + Sense

-non-BFS kernel + Sense

-BFS kernel + JIT (no Sense)

-non-BFS kernel + JIT (no Sense)

-BFS kernels provide a bit more raw computing power, but the UI smoothness may suffer a tiny bit somehow, somethimes. BFS drains a little more battery also.

-JIT rules out Sense at this moment.

I am VERY happy with the non-BFS/non-JIT ROM as it's the fastest and most stable 2.1 Sense ROM I've tried.

Clocked to 480min/710max with SetCPU it responds very satisfying, and the battery drain is very low.

A known issue (which will most likely be fixed very soon) with these ROM's is that FriendStream does not work.

*highly recommended*

Guest lundefugl
Paul just tweeted:

Hero 2.1 rooted repack uploading shortly...

20 minutes ago via Twitter for iPhone

iPhone!!? WTF!?

Guest Tuomo
iPhone!!? WTF!?

It's some Mac client which reports itself as iPhone incorrectly.. Don't worry, I don't think Paul has gone over to the dark side :(

Guest DJBenson
iPhone!!? WTF!?

He's not got an iPhone - apparently the Twitter client he is using falsely identifies itself as an iPhone...oh the irony :(

Guest lundefugl
He's not got an iPhone - apparently the Twitter client he is using falsely identifies itself as an iPhone...oh the irony :(

Fate in mankind restored... :(

Guest masterpfa
My upgrade isn't due till April next year so I am hoping to get some 4" device, perhaps on a next gen ARM or Snapdragon (1.5GHz or dual core)... until then I will be happy with a stable 2.1 ROM for my Hero. I probably won't mess around with the 2.2 builds now unless someone manages to get a really stable JIT implementation going, 2.1 brings all the functionality I was missing.

Stop talking "Dirty" to me :(

1.5Ghz hmmm, dual core hmmm :o

The only problem is there is always something better on the horizon :o

iPhone!!? WTF!?

Let's not be hating!! We all have to be open minded

(Paul about this iPhone thing??? :()

Edited by masterpfa