preparing for the plunge

Guest RKPsk8er

okay so I've decided to take the plunge and flash my completely stock i920 to the amdzero 23569 base rom thats listed in this forum. i planned on using the instructions from the "how i flashed my omnia vzw i920" thread in this subforum.

what I'd like to know is the simplest, most effective way to backup contacts/data/programs if possible so i dont have to put everything back on here from square one. any advice on flashing would be very helpful. thanks

Guest amdzero
okay so I've decided to take the plunge and flash my completely stock i920 to the amdzero 23569 base rom thats listed in this forum. i planned on using the instructions from the "how i flashed my omnia vzw i920" thread in this subforum.

what I'd like to know is the simplest, most effective way to backup contacts/data/programs if possible so i dont have to put everything back on here from square one. any advice on flashing would be very helpful. thanks

well if you want to backup pim data there are options, but I would NOT recommend backing up and restoring programs as all kinds of registry/file errors could occur.

I recommend SPB Backup for a full backup:

http://www.spbsoftwarehouse.com/products/backup/

Or for contacts/messages/calendar events for free:

http://www.dotfred.net/

Guest kdkinc

ditto what AMZ said...

I like to use MyPhone to store my contact. I found if you use to many contact back up programs you end with a slew of duplicates. I stay away from WMDC for syncing(uncheck all options then connect) and live.com for syncing also.

Of course you have DC23 upgrade??

Amd's basic rom is a great rom to start with also some rom's use XDA_UC to help load programs from your storage card.

I keep copies of my most used csbs on my storage card plus a file on my PC.

A lot of the other program I get from Marketplace or use my Cab thread on the i920 main page.

Ok NOW go FLASH :(

:( :o

Guest RKPsk8er
ditto what AMZ said...

I like to use MyPhone to store my contact. I found if you use to many contact back up programs you end with a slew of duplicates. I stay away from WMDC for syncing(uncheck all options then connect) and live.com for syncing also.

Of course you have DC23 upgrade??

Amd's basic rom is a great rom to start with also some rom's use XDA_UC to help load programs from your storage card.

I keep copies of my most used csbs on my storage card plus a file on my PC.

A lot of the other program I get from Marketplace or use my Cab thread on the i920 main page.

Ok NOW go FLASH :(

:( :o

i have not gotten the DC23 upgrade yet. would you reccommend a clean flash of that, then flash to amd's basic? i wasn't aware if this was required or not. I have all of my cab files saved on my computer. im sure i could just reinstall all of them but i'd like to avoid that if there is a safe method.

Guest kdkinc
i have not gotten the DC23 upgrade yet. would you reccommend a clean flash of that, then flash to amd's basic? i wasn't aware if this was required or not. I have all of my cab files saved on my computer. im sure i could just reinstall all of them but i'd like to avoid that if there is a safe method.

Do dc 23 first...

all new roms are built to dc23 specs.

from AMCZero site

DC23 (19 April 2010) Samsung update will now be included in all future roms

Version 3.1(23559):

:( :(

Edited by kdkinc

Guest amdzero
Do dc 23 first...

all new roms are built to dc23 specs.

from AMCZero site

DC23 (19 April 2010) Samsung update will now be included in all future roms

Version 3.1(23559):

:( :(

Agreed, while not totally necessary we (chefs) only provide the pda Portion of your phone. The good thing about that is it is almost IMPOSSIBLE to brick. The bad thing is we cannot play with CSC or Phone portions of the phone, so doing the DC23 official update will give you the new csc and phone updates. Then you can flash away my friend, flash away.

Guest RKPsk8er
well if you want to backup pim data there are options, but I would NOT recommend backing up and restoring programs as all kinds of registry/file errors could occur.

I recommend SPB Backup for a full backup:

http://www.spbsoftwarehouse.com/products/backup/

Or for contacts/messages/calendar events for free:

http://www.dotfred.net/

okay so im getting ready to upgrade to dc23 first but when i used the PPCPimBackup.exe from the link, it said that there were 0 contacts to be saved during to progress log. any advice?

Guest amdzero
okay so im getting ready to upgrade to dc23 first but when i used the PPCPimBackup.exe from the link, it said that there were 0 contacts to be saved during to progress log. any advice?

that is strange.

Do you have a Microsoft MyPhone account? It is free sync with MS over the air and it only requires a live.com or hotmail.com email.

Guest RKPsk8er
that is strange.

Do you have a Microsoft MyPhone account? It is free sync with MS over the air and it only requires a live.com or hotmail.com email.

i figured out that when i uncheck sync outlook contacts under wmdc it takes all the contacts off my phone. i believe i have it working now. i just successfully upgraded to the d23 rom so im gonna try to flash to your base rom. does it have office on it still? also, if not, is there a way to put it on there without cooking a seperate rom?

Guest RKPsk8er

I have the rom up and running fine now! The flash was simple through vista however I am having some issues with the rom itself. For some reason, I am not able to connect with WMDC. I tried setting up a new partnership but the sync center no longer recognizes the phone as a mobile device. Could this be due to the driver I switched to when using Octans?

Also, for some weird reason, after I try to connect to my computer, When I try to start an app, any app, I get a popup saying 'app' is not a valid Pocket PC application. This is with any app so I'm not sure what the issue is.

" 'iexplore' is not a valid Pocket PC application." for example. Any ideas?

Just for reference, I went from original rom, to d23 to the amd 23569 base.

Guest kdkinc
I have the rom up and running fine now! The flash was simple through vista however I am having some issues with the rom itself. For some reason, I am not able to connect with WMDC. I tried setting up a new partnership but the sync center no longer recognizes the phone as a mobile device. Could this be due to the driver I switched to when using Octans?

Also, for some weird reason, after I try to connect to my computer, When I try to start an app, any app, I get a popup saying 'app' is not a valid Pocket PC application. This is with any app so I'm not sure what the issue is.

Have you used a backup app and used it after the rom flash ??? (sent saved info back to phone after flash?)

:) :)

Guest RKPsk8er
Have you used a backup app and used it after the rom flash ??? (sent saved info back to phone after flash?)

Nope I only backed up my contacts but haven't restored them yet. I decided to just reinstall any programs via cab after I finished flashing.

Guest kdkinc
Nope I only backed up my contacts but haven't restored them yet. I decided to just reinstall any programs via cab after I finished flashing.

ya was just wondering...Sometimes these third party Backup app's bring ghost from past rom's and screw with the new one.

Sometimes stuff left on," My storage" can cause problems. Maybe its a waste of time but when I do a major rom change I clean house first (clear all date).

Usually about every 10th flash. With XDA_UC program its a some what of a easy issue.

good luck

Edited by kdkinc

Guest amdzero

This is strange, I've yet to see this one. Could you use sktools and post a screenshot?

You might try a hard reset or a reflash.

Guest kdkinc

Been doing some reading,That's dangerous...

1.Try reflash with SD card out. Then put back in after phone is setup by you.

2.You did use full Octans 2.14

3. reload WMDC for the correct bit rate 32/64 there two separate versions for Vista & 7.

Sd card issue looked interesting in the threads I read.

Let us know how you make out.Try one step at a time. :)

Guest das7771

As far as WMDC is concerned have you tried a different usb port. On my comp, the usb port that I chagned the driver with and flash with Octans, I can not use with WMDC, I have to use a differnet usb port on my comp, becuase that driver is now assigned to that specific port that I flashed with. So try one you did not flash with and it should work, or at least it did with mine.

Guest kdkinc
As far as WMDC is concerned have you tried a different usb port. On my comp, the usb port that I chagned the driver with and flash with Octans, I can not use with WMDC, I have to use a differnet usb port on my comp, becuase that driver is now assigned to that specific port that I flashed with. So try one you did not flash with and it should work, or at least it did with mine.

+1 !!!!!

Guest RKPsk8er

I will try this and see if it works!

kdkinc, I actually flashed the first time with the sd card out just to be safe.

my octans is labelled OCTANS_Downloader_v2.14.exe so I'm sure that must be right.

I'll check my wmdc to verify that its the correct version but I've never had any issues with it in the past. thanks for the help.

Guest RKPsk8er

I just reflashed to stock D23 and reinstalled wmdc (correct version for vista 32bit)

I just discovered something that might prove to be an issue. I clicked the safely remove hardware button and it lists "Samsung MITs USB Sync" as a device no matter which usb port I use. I'm wondering if I could reconnect to wmdc if I reinstalled to original usb driver for my phone. Anyone have a link to it?

Guest kdkinc
I will try this and see if it works!

kdkinc, I actually flashed the first time with the sd card out just to be safe.

my octans is labelled OCTANS_Downloader_v2.14.exe so I'm sure that must be right.

I'll check my wmdc to verify that its the correct version but I've never had any issues with it in the past. thanks for the help.

ran out of ideas...

upgrade to one of AMD's fuller rom's or Ninja's today rom or re-download the one you have and try again..

Guest RKPsk8er
ran out of ideas...

upgrade to one of AMD's fuller rom's or Ninja's today rom or re-download the one you have and try again..

I've reflashed a few times now and I'm getting the same lock-up issue after trying to connect to wmdc. I think its a driver issue. Do you know of a link to the original usb driver?

Guest amdzero
I've reflashed a few times now and I'm getting the same lock-up issue after trying to connect to wmdc. I think its a driver issue. Do you know of a link to the original usb driver?

have you flashed DC23 official and does it work?

Try flashing my V2 or V3 rom just to see if it will sync with WMDC.

I don't have any computers with Vista, so the troubleshooting will have to occur on your end (or someone else who has this problem AND has vista)