Paul's Streak thoughts dump... got questions? Ask here!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest courtlandre
Hi Paul,

I have HD2 and next month going to update my wife's contract.

I consider Dell Streak?

- can u record all calls (both sides, quality etc)?

- do u have any decent navigation like Garmin or iGo8 on Dell?

- how long keeps the battery?

Thanks for all answers.

All the best

You could if you want a big phone!

1) I dont know if you can record calls, I know there is software for it but I dont use it and I dont know if it works on the streak.

2) Lots of apps for android, also free turn by turn navigation through google maps (but needs a data connection).

3) As long as you manage the open applications and dont have 15 social networking apps checking every minute, battery should last quite a while.

Guest Dogmann55

Hi qwerty1q

1)Sorry no idea about call recording have never needed or used this myself.

2) There is Google Navigation now with voice guidance that is free or there are paid apps. i am now using Co-Pilot Live 8 UK and Ireland which cost just £23.47 and can be downloaded straight to the Streak from the Android market. It works and looks great on the Streaks large screen and the reason i chose it is i mainly need Sat Nav for speed camera warnings as opposed to getting directions which is why i got it instead of just using the free Goggle Navigation.

3) I'm finding the battery life on the Streak to be very good indeed and am not using a Task Killer at all and have sync set to auto plus real time push E-Mail running 16hrs a day as well as WiFi on for about that long to. So far just giving it an over night charge whilst sleeping has been fine for me. But your use may differ especially if your in areas of bad network cover that does use more battery.

Marc

Guest uberspeed

Cheers from across the pond!

Been reading up on the Streak all over the 'net, read this entire thread as well and have a question still:

What multitouch sensor is in the Streak?

For example, HTC is now using the Atmel mxt224 screen in the Evo and Incredible vs. the old Synaptics 2000. This is the root cause of Nexus One only tracking two inputs http://www.androidcentral.com/looking-clos...s-touch-sensors

Any info?

Much obliged.

Edited by uberspeed

Guest WilhelmsBrick

Theres another thread on the multi toucb panel, as of yet there isnt an app we can run to check, because it only supports 2.0 and above.

Guest Brantyr
Recording calls is essential for my job, has anyone succeded to record calls both sides on Dell?

Just google to see if it can be done on Android, if it can it'll work fine on the Streak.

Guest Spinstorm

Paul, do you plan on putting out a custom ROM so we can get flash running on the streak?

I realise that would require 2.2 but your a genius!

Your root and recovery hacks were beyond easy and having used your custom ROMS on my N1 I'm

Really hoping you will give us some love here as well!?

Guest ekinlock
Interesting secret screen on the Streak...

P

streaksecretsettings.png

Hi all, new to the forum, you guys do a great job..

Has anyone confirmed that this screen can be used to change the 3g frequency on the Streak?

This would be a decisive factor in my decision to get this device as i would need to use it a couple months a year in jamaica which uses the 850 mhz 3g frequency..

Guest GriZlore
Speaking of that secret screen, how does one gain access to it?

I have found that.... using the app ANY CUT.... look through the activities, and there is one called Network Settings... shortcut to that.

Not sure what it will do, so..... good luck

Guest popetodd
I have found that.... using the app ANY CUT.... look through the activities, and there is one called Network Settings... shortcut to that.

Not sure what it will do, so..... good luck

Excellent! Thank you much.

As these devices use software defined radio's (SDR) I am pretty sure that this setting dialog would allow me to access providers that use the frequencies not checked (as in US providers) should I find myself in the US for some unknown reason.

Fascinating stuff SDR, all over the place commercially with amateur radio quickly taking the lead in cutting edge designs.

Edited by popetodd

Guest ekinlock
Excellent! Thank you much.

As these devices use software defined radio's (SDR) I am pretty sure that this setting dialog would allow me to access providers that use the frequencies not checked (as in US providers) should I find myself in the US for some unknown reason.

Fascinating stuff SDR, all over the place commercially with amateur radio quickly taking the lead in cutting edge designs.

I hope that when the Streak is released in the US someone there will be able to check and see if this screen is still there with the US frequencies checked. I guess that would be confirmation..

Guest yosemite-sam

Hi all ;)

I wasn't suprised reading that negative view about the streak since people have this strange idea that we all have the same needs in a phone!

I got mine on the day it was released and the same day i said bye bye to my iPhone. I played with an iPad for nearly an hour which told me that was too big and too restricted. such a lovely device in design ruined by apples closed shop. the thing can run all day but still no flash player?

My iPhone was good but on the fisher price level in terms of its abilities especially if not jailbroken. you'll be suprised how many people i have worked with that didnt have that done and paid for apps that really should be free considering what you get.

In the end Ive just become annoyed with Apple's slow progress in trying to be all things to all people. the reality is pc's come in all shapes and sizes but aslong as we all run the same/similar o/s's we can use the same software. if that works for pcs it will work on mobile devices too.

The dell isnt trying to be the one device that suits all but it suits me just fine. I tend to hold it in landscape mode like I do a book, my thumb at the front with remaining fingers at the back so i can hold it one handed.. if typing emails then i tend to hold it like a psp, i use a bluetooth headset for calls but do slap the thing to my ear alot and dont care if i look like dom joly!

So now I have a device that shows movies and web pages etc better than an iPhone plus I can drag and drop files to sd card (upgradeable), I can change the battery and i dont have to go anywhere near itunes woohoo! oh and then theres the real multitasking and customisations (including widgets) that apple seems to think are a crime.

If Apple made tv sets they would only have one channel showing only endorsed shows and only commercials related to themselves.

Its about what suits our needs and not what others think we should have.

Guest Rhysd2

I've had mine since release day and I love it. I went up specially on the friday to get one and was amazed how low key the launch was. I wasnt convinced at first with having to use it landscape all the time but now I'm sold and couldnt go back. Still a bit of trial and error with what apps will fit the screen and what wont but otherwise its great. loving the battery life and speed of it.

• 2 months later...
Guest smokku
Paul's Streak thoughts dump... got questions? Ask here!

I have a question.

Could you publish your method of creating working boot.img for Streak?

• 1 month later...
Guest diodegod
Interesting secret screen on the Streak...

P

streaksecretsettings.png

Did anything come about from this screen? I'd like to get a Streak and use it on a different carrier who uses HSDPA 850, but the carrier who has Streak exclusivity in Australia until the end of the year only sells the HSDPA 900/2100 Streak, not the HSDPA 850/1900/2100 Streak.