Who actually believes we'll see the Froyo update for Desire on June 23?

Guest Streetdaddy

Guest tatey2457

You never know, seen as that's around the release date for the iPhone 4 they might try to get it out as early as possible to stop people jumping ship...looking at some of the iPhone specs I'm already considering it

Guest Azurael

Nah, just come the other way and I certainly don't want to go back to un-customisable, frustratingly feature limited Apple jail land. It'll take a while to find a jailbreak for the new device to make it even remotely useful. Specs seem very similar aside from the screen... And however good an IPS screen is, it won't have the contrast ratio of an OLED display... I can live with the PenTile.artifacts (although the previous iPhone displays were amongst the most readable devices in bright sunlight and I'd imagine that will continue with the new 'un.)

Guest Sgaduuw
You never know, seen as that's around the release date for the iPhone 4 they might try to get it out as early as possible to stop people jumping ship...looking at some of the iPhone specs I'm already considering it

Does it really matter to HTC if we jump ship? They already have our money.

It would make more sense to have Froyo available soon so the people who are still in the market for a new phone will have a good reason not to choose an iphone

Guest zaphod0

With HTC's previous track record I say, very, very unlikely! Hope I'm proved wrong as well!

EDIT

Edited by zaphod0

Guest Emperork

well this is my first htc, so once htc realise that I have one, they should hopefully move to the update sooner because i am awesome.

Guest GilchristT
well this is my first htc, so once htc realise that I have one, they should hopefully move to the update sooner because i am awesome.

:)

Edited by GilchristT

Guest ZiCoN

:)

Guest TheScrub
Nah, just come the other way and I certainly don't want to go back to un-customisable, frustratingly feature limited Apple jail land.

I couldn't have said it better myself!

Guest Rdy2Go
We've all heard the completely unsubstantiated (AFAIK) rumour that started at XDA - http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-desi...n-23rd-of-june/

But who actually believes we're going to see a Froyo update on June 23? Not me... Maybe Christmas...

There is another date leaked by Polish Orange -- it's August 2010 for Froyo update for HTC Desire (Orange Poland).

Hopefully unbranded phones would receive update earlier?

So June/July 2010 date seems to be still feasible.

(http://pda.pl/news/htc_desire_pojawi_sie_w_orange_a_w_sierpniu_aktualizacja/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%253A+index%252Fnewsy+%2528pda.pl+-+newsy%2529)

Guest StrongOneX
Waited months and months for an update for the Hero... ended up selling the phone. I hope I'm not in the same boat again!

+1

Guest encrypt
Waited months and months for an update for the Hero... ended up selling the phone. I hope I'm not in the same boat again!

+3 :)

Guest moveandfire

+4

Would be pleasantly surprised if it does arrive on that date.

i think that htc will definetly release an android 2.2 for the desire by june/july.

if we think objectively, probably like the htc marketing/sales department, we see that apple is releasing the icrap4 soon and htc has to compete with that for sales. the only way is by making its devices even better than what they are now( even thought they are way better than the iphone as they are now with 2.1)

probably is too short of a time to design a new device and launch it now. in the US there is the nexus one and the EVO, while in europe there is the desire and wildfire to compete with apple products. if htc thinks realistically, the better choice for boosting sales is actually to work on providing 2.2 on the desire and wildfire and EVO, thus making it harder for apple sales ( though htc will have to make it possible to record 720@30fps on the desire, with divx and hd playback native to the OS so to be able to compete with a higher hand)

so considering that the desire,wildfire are rather new products on the market,and being the "pride" of htc on the european market at the moment, i think that the htc will definetly be giving a 2.2 update to the desire and probably wilfire( i am not familiar with its specs, so dont know if it meets the minimum reqs for froyo).

but we never know.....

Guest Emperork

in all seriousness though, (despite my being awesome as aforementioned), i don't see why there would be a date set on this at all. Surely the programmers and testers just tinker and tinker until they reckon it's done, then chuck on a week or a month's testing, after which it is released or it has to be bug fixed and then retested. I would have thought it isn't really possible to know a release date, even within the programming department. It's ready only when everything is done and the bug testing comes back all clear.

Bottom line, as far as I see it? Nobody can actually know a true release date. If HTC want to knock it out sooner rather than later due to competition or whatever reason, they can assign more labour to the project or vice versa. This is why we get comments like 'second half 2010' because that is about as accurate as HTC know themselves, let alone us lot.

The only way a set day could be mentioned is if they confidently know that the update will be ready weeks beforehand and then is tested adequately, after which extra testing days is just bonus time. I doubt this however. I think any phone company sending out an update as important as Froyo would want to get it out as quickly but safely as possible.

Guest qubit76

I guess HTC have to save face atm and with all the new model's coming out plus the fact that they made the N1, I guess we will see a froyo release with Google or just after Google toward the end of June or beginning of July.

Guest Michelle My Belle
in all seriousness though, (despite my being awesome as aforementioned), i don't see why there would be a date set on this at all. Surely the programmers and testers just tinker and tinker until they reckon it's done, then chuck on a week or a month's testing, after which it is released or it has to be bug fixed and then retested. I would have thought it isn't really possible to know a release date, even within the programming department. It's ready only when everything is done and the bug testing comes back all clear.

Bottom line, as far as I see it? Nobody can actually know a true release date. If HTC want to knock it out sooner rather than later due to competition or whatever reason, they can assign more labour to the project or vice versa. This is why we get comments like 'second half 2010' because that is about as accurate as HTC know themselves, let alone us lot.

The only way a set day could be mentioned is if they confidently know that the update will be ready weeks beforehand and then is tested adequately, after which extra testing days is just bonus time. I doubt this however. I think any phone company sending out an update as important as Froyo would want to get it out as quickly but safely as possible.

They can't just 'tinker' & 'tinker' - 'awesome one'. :)

1 reason, cost.

Everything is costed today, in every company. Yep the bean counters got their way :-(

It's likely that they'll be working to a release date. If they miss this, it will undoubtedly be due to harmful bugs (bugs that will do their reputation no good at all) being detected in the test phase or a sufficient release build/candidate is not yet viable (already mentioned in this thread somewhere).

Any company dealing in new/updated software or hardware for that matter, often 'miss' deadlines due to the above - and, it can't be planned for (at least not reasonably) :-(

Shame really.

I'd be amazed to see FroYo available on the 'rumoured' date and of course pleasently surprised because I'd get it :)

Well I can dream can't I...

MMB.

Edited by Michelle My Belle