ADW Launcher

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul

ADW Launcher is awesome (particularly with it's device rotation support), but it seems to have issues with the high DPI on the streak - see below.

Features i'd love to see...

- Support for high DPU (no big vertical spaces in portrait, horizontal spaces in landscape, including in launcher drawer)

- The option (disableable) for seperate configured layouts for portrait and landscape

- Additional 'sticky shortcuts' down the bottom

I'll be pointing the developer to this thread via Twitter (can't find another way to contact?) so hopefully he'll post an update! I for one would be happy to donate for a fully compatible launcher!

P

adwstreakportrait.pngadwstreakportraitlauncher.png

adwstreaklandscape.png

adwstreaklandscapelauncher.png

Guest Andy Garton

Seconding the ADW request - I tried it myself and it is really close to being ideal for the Streak, fast, lightweight, normal widget support and portrait orientation. The resolution issue kills it for now though (it affects widgets as well as icons, so many widgets don't fit at all, or if they do fit only go in two or three positions). I also got a bit confused about how the wallpaper works (not tried native 800x480 images yet though, maybe it's just that).

Guest Andy Garton

Unfortunately all launchers I've tried today have this issue, so it may be a system software limitation which would be hard for the launcher developers themselves to fix :)

Guest HorusUK

I completely agree with ADW launcher. I've been playing with it, and had promised to get screenshots to Anders Webb, but Paul did the leg work for me... ;-)

With the help of AppBrain, I've been moving over to a streak from a G1, and I've noticed some of my favourites don't play well with the streak due to limited screen size hardcoded into the app, or other incompatibilities. To name a few:

Jewellust

Solo

Tower Bloxx

However, the benefits and the apps that DO work, far outweigh those that don't. I'm loving the 5" screen, and now my number has been ported, I'm using it as my only phone.

Perhaps we ought to have a thread for apps with issues and workarounds, where available?

Guest Andy Garton

Unfortunately widget sizing and positioning is still a big flakey, and it really needs separate icon count values for landscape, but portrait works nicely now at 7x7.

Guest courtlandre
Unfortunately widget sizing and positioning is still a big flakey, and it really needs separate icon count values for landscape, but portrait works nicely now at 7x7.

It just stretches the widgets to fit into the grid.

Guest Andy Garton

Here's how my portrait desktop looks now, fwiw. Anybody know how to have transparent icon label backgrounds in Android please?

post-715406-1276556338_thumb.jpg

Guest maskaler

How do you take a screenshot chaps? I have beautiful widgets but the text isn't sitting in the nice flipping clock backgroundy bits :|

Edited by maskaler

Guest Andy Garton

There are a couple of screenshot apps in the market, both of the ones I tried (can't remember the name sorry and I immediately ininstalled after using it!) require root though.

Beautiful widgets is broken for me too, suffering the alignment/spacing issues I mentioned. Even the clock/weather widget I'm using isn't perfect if you look closely. There must be something about the way Dell have skinned things which breaks this stuff, as it's fine on other WVGA devices.

Guest maskaler
There are a couple of screenshot apps in the market, both of the ones I tried (can't remember the name sorry and I immediately ininstalled after using it!) require root though.

Beautiful widgets is broken for me too, suffering the alignment/spacing issues I mentioned. Even the clock/weather widget I'm using isn't perfect if you look closely. There must be something about the way Dell have skinned things which breaks this stuff, as it's fine on other WVGA devices.

Oh, so how've you got the snazzy clock without Beautiful Widgets?

Guest Andy Garton
Oh, so how've you got the snazzy clock without Beautiful Widgets?

It's called "Weather & Toggle Widgets" I believe, not related to Beautiful Widgets.

Guest hawrai68
ok I downloaded adw now where the hell is it ???? :)

Long press the home button, it will give you option to select it as default.

Guest AndyCr15

I was a little dissappointed, I wanted 8 wide by 4 deep and when I rotate to portrait, it goes 4 wide by 8 deep... but I guess I'm asking too much :) Maybe this is why Dell force it to stay in landscape?

Anyway, I'll be taking the Streak back to O2 in the morning I think :)

Guest hawrai68
I was a little dissappointed, I wanted 8 wide by 4 deep and when I rotate to portrait, it goes 4 wide by 8 deep... but I guess I'm asking too much :) Maybe this is why Dell force it to stay in landscape?

Anyway, I'll be taking the Streak back to O2 in the morning I think :)

Same here..although great potential and Im sure UI will be improved in portrait mode, just a little too big as a main device... ordered Samsung Galaxy.

Guest Dogmann55

Hi hawrai68 and AndyCr15

Sorry to hear the Streak hasn't worked out for you but then no device will ever be perfect for everyone i also think the Galaxy S looks like a great device and i was considering it prior to the Streak launching first but then i love big screens and mainly use my device in Landscape. Also i have now just installed Rock Player so can play my much smaller DivX Avi files without needing to convert anything and all in perfect quality for both picture and sound. The only way i would give up my Streak now is if someone prised it out of my cold dead hand and they would need to get past 43KG of protection trained Dobermann first so i don't see that happening any time soon.

Marc

Hi hawrai68 and AndyCr15

Sorry to hear the Streak hasn't worked out for you but then no device will ever be perfect for everyone i also think the Galaxy S looks like a great device and i was considering it prior to the Streak launching first but then i love big screens and mainly use my device in Landscape. Also i have now just installed Rock Player so can play my much smaller DivX Avi files without needing to convert anything and all in perfect quality for both picture and sound. The only way i would give up my Streak now is if someone prised it out of my cold dead hand and they would need to get past 43KG of protection trained Dobermann first so i don't see that happening any time soon.

Marc

How did you get Rock Player onto the Streak as I thought it was 2.1 only? Are you talking about a different player as I could do with one that plays avi's.