Unlocking the Dell Streak with a Rebel Sim Card

Guest griff_dai

Guest AndyCr15
umm, this bit

post-610897-1276700696_thumb.jpg

is O2 selling it without a contract, the bit where it says "no contract" being the give away ;)

It's Pay & go, aka payg, not simplicity, which is the 30day contracted one.

Yes, your right. Once you've paid your £10 you can throw the SIM away. Then, I think you have to wait 30 days and then give 30 days notice. Not entirely sure about this, you might be able to call them right away and give 30 days notice, but they wont sell you the Streak without you paying the £10 initial top up.

Btw, to confirm, I'm talking about in the shop. I think they still call it no contract, even though technically that's not the case. There is a contract, it's just cancel-able after only 30 days.

Edited by AndyCr15

Guest Loconinja
Btw, to confirm, I'm talking about in the shop. I think they still call it no contract, even though technically that's not the case. There is a contract, it's just cancel-able after only 30 days.

Yes, this is what I am talking about. When I bought mine, I had to give them all my details and pass a credit check etc. just like a contract. It annoyed me, as does the fact that the handset is locked to O2.

Guest AndyCr15
Yes, exactly.

So O2 do sell it for £399, on pay as you go, which is all I was saying.

No, they wouldn't sell it to me PAYG. I had to take a data SIM and pay the first £10 on it. I'm then on a contract that 'tops up' each month...

Guest giryan
No, they wouldn't sell it to me PAYG. I had to take a data SIM and pay the first £10 on it. I'm then on a contract that 'tops up' each month...

Yes, in store they would only sell it to you on contract, but in general O2 do sell it PAYG, as I said.

Guest AndyCr15

So why are you wasting our time? I've said many times I'm talking about in store...

Is that online? They wont do SIM free in the shop.

It's just a payg sim, you throw it away if you don't want it.

In fact, your reply was to me saying about 'in the shop'?

Edited by AndyCr15

Guest Brantyr

Damn, looks like I'll have to wait for the official release, not worth getting it early if there's no guarantee it'll ever work properly via Rebel SIM

Guest shEEEsh

Basically I am like a really bad kid at Christmas. I am in the USA. I realize the Streak will be here soon but I want it now !!! I have been reading and I see that using the Rebel card is not 100% and I really want 100% If you were me and if money were no object [of course it is but not for a gadgetaholic, where there is a will there is a way.] would you wait for the USA release or pay the Buy It Now eBay ransom ?? I guess I could wait if I knew for how long .. and if I knew that there was a sure fire way of unlocking it would make my decision much easier. Diane

Guest courtlandre
An important question to me is, will the US Streak be usable in Europe?...

If its unlocked it will. AT&T has the same feqs (mostly I think) as most euro carriers. I use my US 3GS here with no problems and get full HSDPA or w/e it is.

Guest Techneut
If its unlocked it will. AT&T has the same feqs (mostly I think) as most euro carriers. I use my US 3GS here with no problems and get full HSDPA or w/e it is.

Thank you very much, for your clarifying answer!

Then, I will wait for Dell to sell them in the US; and buy one from there, if possibly...

;)

Guest mickliq

It unclear if the "US" Streak will have the Euro 3G band (eg 2100). If we look what's been done in Europe, Dell is saying the UK Streak only has 1900/2100 3G which won't work very well in the US (lack of 850 is a killer). I'm not sure if that's the reality of the situation - for example HTC has been known to "hide" bands in software that are present in hardware. Assuming the UK Streak really does lack 850, then it's not a stretch to imagine that the US Streak will lack 2100. This is the way HTC does things these days...

So - we wait.

Guest courtlandre

Best idea is to wait, but it looks like the UK streak has the bands for the US and they are disabled in hardware (going off the hidden screen paul found).

Guest AndyCr15
UK packaging is crap compared to this!

Wow! I'm not sure I can think of anything I care less about... lol

If it meant I could get it cheaper you could send it to me wrapped in toilet paper! ;)

Guest courtlandre
Wow! I'm not sure I can think of anything I care less about... lol

If it meant I could get it cheaper you could send it to me wrapped in toilet paper! ;)

Agreed, but its going to be much cheaper in the states and unlocked!

Guest popetodd
Best idea is to wait, but it looks like the UK streak has the bands for the US and they are disabled in hardware (going off the hidden screen paul found).

That's not a hardware disable, that's a software disable.

Guest PaulVlagsma

The Rebelsim II card makes the Dell Streak work with the ' 3 ' network in Australia.

The Streak came from carphone warehouse in UK and was locked to O2.

It works fine in Sydney. You need to keep Gtalk active in the background, if you want to receive phone calls when in 3G mode,

just us Rebel says in their instructions.

Guest Brantyr
It works fine in Sydney. You need to keep Gtalk active in the background, if you want to receive phone calls when in 3G mode,

just us Rebel says in their instructions.

That's what I'm talking about, as much as I want one I'm going to wait 3 weeks rather than buy a phone I will have to worry about not receiving calls on because GTalk has to be running in the background!!!

Guest RconMax
FYI Reply from RebelSim....

Can you tell me how to contact RebelSim Support.

When I send a mail to supportdesk(at)rebelsimcard.com I get a mail transport permanant error message :lol:

Edited by RconMax

Guest PaulVlagsma

Australia: RebelSIM II on Streak works fine for Telstra prepaid as well.

The 3 APN process was - New APN, name: three, APN: 3netaccess, Save. Tick that it is being used.

N.B. You need to follow the rebelSIM instructions, and start FIRST time with the SIM in 2G mode, before going to 3G.

BTW. GTalk survives a reboot, So unless you kill it, it stays up.

N.B. Don't fiddle with Paul Obrien's 'secret screen' - my 3 sim hasn't recovered from fiddling with the bands.

(If I lived in the US, I would just wait till Dell releases it in July, unlocked, there. )