Overclock MCR4 build 3

Guest philos64

Guest redcow

Overclocking is only related to the kernel, replace the kernel with an overclocked one and your done (e.g kernel included in cronos rom). Overclock widget seems to be better as people claim setcpu has some memory leaks. Personally I think not using a widget is better, and just setting the settings once at /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/*.

Edited by redcow

Guest kingkeld
Overclocking is only related to the kernel, replace the kernel with an overclocked one and your done (e.g kernel included in cronos rom). Overclock widget seems to be better as people claim setcpu has some memory leaks. Personally I think not using a widget is better, and just setting the settings once at /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/*.

Sorry if this is a n00b-question, but how do I replace the kernel? How do I download an overclocked kernel? I can't seem to find an update.zip-file with ONLY the kernel. Maybe I am looking for the wrong thing?

Guest philos64
Sorry if this is a n00b-question, but how do I replace the kernel? How do I download an overclocked kernel? I can't seem to find an update.zip-file with ONLY the kernel. Maybe I am looking for the wrong thing?

If you need something about kernel

http://hero-roms.blogspot.com/p/dev-beta-roms.html#links

or try here

http://forum.xda-developers.com/search.php?searchid=38642740

If you're MCR 3.2, there is no problem to overclock, but if you're MCR4 build 3, I don't know. Therefore this topic.

Guest kingkeld
If you need something about kernel

http://hero-roms.blogspot.com/p/dev-beta-roms.html#links

or try here

http://forum.xda-developers.com/search.php?searchid=38642740

If you're MCR 3.2, there is no problem to overclock, but if you're MCR4 build 3, I don't know. Therefore this topic.

I am pretty much up to speed on the topics. :) I am just looking for a "go" og "no-go" on whether we can do it with MCR4.0 - Hopefully someone knows, or even better, Paul will implement. :)

Guest kingkeld
I've successfully used the Ben22 kernel with other 2.1 Roms, not sure why it wouldn't work with this one. . .

My problem is also WHERE do I find a fitting kernel? I assume these are available somewhere in the update.zip format?

That's not just the kernel. See the ReadMe. You can't flash just the kernel from recovery. You have to flash the whole boot partition. This contains the kernel & initramfs, packed together. AIUI it is possible to flash just the kernel via fastboot. Failing that, you really need to unpack your existing ROM's boot.img & then repack a boot.img using your ROM's initramfs from that along with your replacement kernel. There are a couple of simple perl scripts kicking about to do the unpacking/packing, so it's not a complicated procedure, though you obviously need perl installed on your machine.

Guest redcow

for nearly all 2.1 hero bootimages the ramdisk is the same, as now many rom specific settings are made through /etc/init.d/ (as it should be), so you should have no problems using other roms bootimage. To be sure you can always boot in bootloader mode (adb shell reboot bootloader) and boot the image with "fastboot boot blabla.img" which directly boots it (no flash) so you are safe.

Edited by redcow

for nearly all 2.1 hero bootimages the ramdisk is the same, as now many rom specific settings are made through /etc/init.d/ (as it should be), so you should have no problems using other roms bootimage. To be sure you can always boot in bootloader mode (adb shell reboot bootloader) and boot the image with "fastboot boot blabla.img" which directly boots it (no flash) so you are safe.

I did wonder how much they would differ in practice. Thanks for the heads up :)

Guest Silverstream
I did wonder how much they would differ in practice. Thanks for the heads up ;)

Just following up on this topic, had anyone successfully flash an overclockable kernel into MCR 4b3 ? If so, appreciate instructions on how to flash it.

Thanks

Guest Dr. dre
Just following up on this topic, had anyone successfully flash an overclockable kernel into MCR 4b3 ? If so, appreciate instructions on how to flash it.

Thanks

I tried the Ben23 Kernal and got a Hang up on the 'Hero Screen'

Guest trstn
I've successfully used the Ben22 kernel with other 2.1 Roms, not sure why it wouldn't work with this one. . .

I got a bootloop after using that with a fresh install of the new MCR rom.

Quick nandroid restore and I was back up and running. I don't mind, MCR4 feels fast, I'm sure Technologist or Kendon will pop up at some point with a kernal sooner or later, I'm hoping so anyway ;)

Guest Kalle Falter

if I flash a custom kernel (tried villain/ninpo, cronos and ben), I can't install apps anymore (via market or apps installer). I get installation failed.

Any ideas on that?

Guest JoepvL
if I flash a custom kernel (tried villain/ninpo, cronos and ben), I can't install apps anymore (via market or apps installer). I get installation failed.

Any ideas on that?

You might've flashed kernels that aren't compatible with MCR's Apps2SD method... not sure, of course, but that could be the reason.

Guest Silverstream
Cronos BFS... but the point was to reflash MCR with A2SD instead of A2SD+

Can we flash it over the non-A2SD version ? Then a A2SD patch ? Or is MCR architecture totally different from others ?

Edited by Silverstream

Guest Kalle Falter

have you tried a custom kernel with non-A2SD? Maybe there won't be any problems at all.

Going from A2SD+ to A2SD causes continuous FCs for me after 2nd reboot (com.google.gapps). So for now I'm back to plain MCR...

Oh wait, I flashed Cronos JIT 0.2.1 over MCR. So no OC for me right now but still more performance with JIT according to linpack.

Guest Silverstream
If you guys want I can create a few bootimages with the most popular kernel + modaco ramdisk in order to be 100% compatible with the modaco rom on weekend, even though you can do it yourself, its a job of 2 minutes e.g http://blog.coralic.nl/2009/10/26/how-to-u...tc-hero-kernel/.

It's beyond me, will appreciate if you can package it for us. Looking for ability to overclock at 671mhz and sleep at 245Mhz.

Guest Kalle Falter

well. and I don't have the time for it; I don't believe in 2min when trying it for the first time. So would be great to have those custom kernels with MCR A2SD+ support.

Maybe start with Ninpo kernel used in Villain? You can grab it via the kitchen.