Samsung Galaxy S Problems

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

Jared S

Jared S

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Arggg... i am having this problem too... and nothing works. I've tried resetting drivers, reinstall them, unmount/mount internal sd, startup with usb plugged in...
But still, still im getting a switching screen between connection screen and home screen, so frustrating... This phone is amazing but when it comes to pc connectivity it really loses from all other manufacturers *sigh* :(
Can someone pleasehelp?

Did you try my suggestion? Have you tried it in a USB port on the back of your computer?

ragflan

ragflan

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Devices:Galaxy Nexus
  • Twitter:@ragflan
<ID:0/005> Added!!
<ID:0/005> Odin v.3 engine (ID:5)..
<ID:0/005> File analysis..
<ID:0/005> Set PIT file..
<ID:0/005> DO NOT TURN OFF TARGET!!
<ID:0/005> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/005> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/005> factoryfs.rfs
<ID:0/005> cache.rfs
<ID:0/005> dbdata.rfs
<ID:0/005> boot.bin
<ID:0/005> Sbl.bin
<ID:0/005> param.lfs
<ID:0/005> zImage
<ID:0/005> modem.bin
<ID:0/005> cache.rfs
<ID:0/005> Removed!!
<ID:0/005> Completed..
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 1 / failed 0)

I get that in ODIN but SGS is just showing boot logo. Nothing's happening...

Edited by ragflan, 30 July 2010 - 02:29 AM.

Michael Ames

Michael Ames

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Devices:Galaxy S

Is anyone else having trouble connecting their Galaxy to a PC? I don't know whether mine is faulty or not. Downloaded the Samsung Kies software but when I plug in the Galaxy Windows is unable to find a MTP USB device driver and the phone refuses to connect. This happens on both XP and Windows 7. Also the Galaxy has a complete fit and keeps flashing between the home screen and MTP application screen while it's connected. And I don't get the usual Android option to mount for file transfer. Am I missing something?

Greetings. I had this problem and went through all the forums and advice about formatting cards, resetting to factory defaults, etc. In my case, I discovered that the this was unnecessary -- the only problem was an invalid filename created by Foursquare. In the /foursquare/cache folder there was a filename that clearly should have had a .jpg extension, but did not, resulting in a filetype of something like ".%FFIEJ2_VS%20"

Deleting that file fixed the problem. My hypothesis is that the MTP application scans the SD cards for files, looking at file types, and when it comes across that nasty filetype, it crashes... restarts... crashes... forever.

My suggestion is to look into your SD card files (start with Foursquare!) and see if you have any unusual file extensions. Removing those may resolve your problem.

-Michael

DistortedLoop

DistortedLoop

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • Devices:GalaxyNexus, HTC One X, SGS2
  • Twitter:@distortedloop

Greetings. I had this problem and went through all the forums and advice about formatting cards, resetting to factory defaults, etc. In my case, I discovered that the this was unnecessary -- the only problem was an invalid filename created by Foursquare. In the /foursquare/cache folder there was a filename that clearly should have had a .jpg extension, but did not, resulting in a filetype of something like ".%FFIEJ2_VS%20"

Deleting that file fixed the problem. My hypothesis is that the MTP application scans the SD cards for files, looking at file types, and when it comes across that nasty filetype, it crashes... restarts... crashes... forever.

My suggestion is to look into your SD card files (start with Foursquare!) and see if you have any unusual file extensions. Removing those may resolve your problem.

-Michael

Good tip! And another reason not to bother with FourSquare! LOL

David.m

David.m

• MoDaCo Silver
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Devices:Galaxy s
  • Twitter:@torres76

Is this problem no longer relevant? Interestingly enough, after having it work (following the steps above, posted in multiple forums by now!), it quit on me again. Until i formatted and ran debug mode again. Aggravating...

hi i have sorted this problem load kies plug in galaxy when the windows mtp driver box comes up go to install from file or drive then browse to the folder you installed kies go to usb and in that folder you will see symbian usb download drivers click on that and press ok the mtp drivers will install and the galaxy s will connect to kies. SORTED.

mkrogh

mkrogh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Devices:HTC Hero

Arggg... i am having this problem too... and nothing works. I've tried resetting drivers, reinstall them, unmount/mount internal sd, startup with usb plugged in...
But still, still im getting a switching screen between connection screen and home screen, so frustrating... This phone is amazing but when it comes to pc connectivity it really loses from all other manufacturers *sigh* :)
Can someone pleasehelp?

EDIT: I have made a video from it @ youtube ==>

Mine does the same -
Ive tryed A LOT -
But still NO GO - Darn ...

MKrogh

timoki

timoki

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Devices:Samsung Galaxy S i9000

But still, still im getting a switching screen between connection screen and home screen, so frustrating... This phone is amazing but when it comes to pc connectivity it really loses from all other manufacturers *sigh* :)
Can someone pleasehelp?

I had this problem too for two weeks but finally by combining different instructions managed to solve it!
I really didn't want to format my SD card as I had no backup of anything as the Kies was not working. I tried to unmount/mount the cards, tried to find strange extensions etc but nothing helped.
Finally I cleaned the temporary internet files+cookies+history of all internet browsers ("original", opera, dolphin). After that when connecting the phone with USB the MTP application didn't blink anymore and I could get the connection working! :D

shivatink

shivatink

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Devices:samsung galaxy s i9000
  • Twitter:@shivatink

I had this problem too for two weeks but finally by combining different instructions managed to solve it!
I really didn't want to format my SD card as I had no backup of anything as the Kies was not working. I tried to unmount/mount the cards, tried to find strange extensions etc but nothing helped.
Finally I cleaned the temporary internet files+cookies+history of all internet browsers ("original", opera, dolphin). After that when connecting the phone with USB the MTP application didn't blink anymore and I could get the connection working! :)

s u r rite cleaning cookies will solve the problem r remove the sd card unmount the internal storage and back up ur all needs the go for restore factory settings now the phone will restart then in computer u must update the kies firmware by clicking the top left corner button which has update kies firmware it will take 1 r 2 min then connect ur phone in kies mode will connect sure ... most importantly connect to the back usb on computer dont connect in front.....

Tiazi

Tiazi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Devices:Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000
please... someone...

I tried to flash XWJM2 because I didnt feel like JP3 was stable enough for my apps. Now Ive got a big problem.

The only thing my phone does is showing a telephone -- ! -- pc logo. I can get into download mode. But when I try to flash any firmware Odin gives me error with some chinese signs.

Somebody knows what to do? Please help!

Andrew Luecke

Andrew Luecke

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Devices:I9000

please... someone...

I tried to flash XWJM2 because I didnt feel like JP3 was stable enough for my apps. Now Ive got a big problem.

The only thing my phone does is showing a telephone -- ! -- pc logo. I can get into download mode. But when I try to flash any firmware Odin gives me error with some chinese signs.

Somebody knows what to do? Please help!

1) Pull battery + cable
2) Put back in battery
3) Wait 5 secs
4) Hold down Home+vol down+power
4) Download mode.. Reflash..

Tiazi

Tiazi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

1) Pull battery + cable
2) Put back in battery
3) Wait 5 secs
4) Hold down Home+vol down+power
4) Download mode.. Reflash..

I tried what you said. It didn't work :)

Please look at the attached screenshot. Maybe you can give me some advice!

thanks in advance

Attached Files

Andrew Luecke

Andrew Luecke

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts

I tried what you said. It didn't work :)

Please look at the attached screenshot. Maybe you can give me some advice!

thanks in advance

I've never seen that error.. Maybe try again, with another ROM.. Also, I recall seeing somewhere that people who had their computers language set to a complex language like russian or chinese had issues with odin.

Tiazi

Tiazi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

I've never seen that error.. Maybe try again, with another ROM.. Also, I recall seeing somewhere that people who had their computers language set to a complex language like russian or chinese had issues with odin.

hey andrew,

Ive managed to get past the errors. Odin started to flash... but... it doesnt seem to make progress! im stuck at:

<ID:0/006> Added!!
<ID:0/006> Odin v.3 engine (ID:6)..
<ID:0/006> File analysis..
<ID:0/006> Set PIT file..
<ID:0/006> DO NOT TURN OFF TARGET!!

No blue progress bar on my phone. Nothing happening at odin...

do you (or anyone else) know what to do?

Thanks!

Andrew Luecke

Andrew Luecke

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts

hey andrew,

Ive managed to get past the errors. Odin started to flash... but... it doesnt seem to make progress! im stuck at:

<ID:0/006> Added!!
<ID:0/006> Odin v.3 engine (ID:6)..
<ID:0/006> File analysis..
<ID:0/006> Set PIT file..
<ID:0/006> DO NOT TURN OFF TARGET!!

No blue progress bar on my phone. Nothing happening at odin...

do you (or anyone else) know what to do?

Thanks!

It happens sometimes.. Reset the device again, plug the cable into another port, and try again.

pepsiboy

pepsiboy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Devices:Samsung Galaxy S Vibrant
I just got a Samsung Galaxy S Vibrant and I absolutely love it. However I hate Kies. I have been having issues with connecting the phone via USB. After installing Kies, the first time the phone successfully connected and I was able to transfer some music to the phone.

However when I tried to connect the phone a second time I got an error on the phone that the MTP application had crashed and I was forced to close it. After which the phone's screen would flash between the home screen and the MTP application, similar to the video posted by Arnie753 Youtube:

I contacted Samsung support on this issue. They immediately responded back and said that if I was running Windows XP and Media Player 11, I needed to follow some steps to remove Media Player 11. I have attached the instructions to this post

Unfortunately for me I am running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. I responded back with this information and they confirmed that the only work around is to format the internal SD memory card before connecting to the PC. They are working on a firmware update to resolve this issue.

So to connect I have had to do the following:

1. Go to Settings and select the SD Memory option
2. Unmount the internal SD card
3. Format the internal SD card (will automatically remount after formatting)
4. Connect the phone to the PC

Hope this helps people

Attached Files

Nesousx

Nesousx

Regular

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Interests:Computers<br />New technologies<br />Video Games
  • Devices:Nexus One
  • Twitter:@Nesousx
Hi all,

I have been experiencing connectivity issues: unable to use kies / mount the phone as external HDD. I found a fix that work 100% for me on several computers / OS. Only tried it in order to use ADB and "external HDD" mode.

I only enabled USB Debugging Mode (in Applications > Dev), then once the USB cord is plugged, I manually mount the phone from the phone's taskbar,

Hope it helps...

LeeUHF

LeeUHF

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Devices:samsung galaxy s
  • Twitter:@non
I could really do with some help on this.

What Is Mass Storage Mode and how do I reformat?

Im quite novice so need help please.

LeeUHF

LeeUHF

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Devices:samsung galaxy s
  • Twitter:@non
1. Go to Settings and select the SD Memory option
2. Unmount the internal SD card
3. Format the internal SD card (will automatically remount after formatting)
4. Connect the phone to the PC

My phone doesnt have the option to "Unmount the internal SD Card"

Its blacked out you can read it but not touch it???

Voxhound

Voxhound

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Devices:Samsung Galaxy S
Hi Folks, I have a Galaxy S and have had the problem when connecting to Kies on my Win 7 32 bit machine, that the phone displays MTP Application screen, then the home screen and cycles between the two. I have tried everything recommended in the various forums, including unmounting and formatting both internal and external SD cards. Then I read the following post http://forum.xda-dev...mp;postcount=37 which says the bug has been found and it is file names with more than 16 characters after the last dot (.). I switched my USB to mass storage and mounted it, backed up the internal SD card, then manually searched for such files. In my case I found one in a directory from Skyfire browser, and two more in the thumbs directory under DCIM, (for cooliris). When I deleted these files the problem was gone.

The report was posted on the French Gizmodo site, translation here http://translate.goo...y...sl=fr&tl=en

Dan Mullen

Dan Mullen

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Interests:Football (Sunderland AFC), snooker, tennis and darts. Also, PS3 games, creating dynamic websites and watching films.
  • Devices:Nexus 5, Cube U30GT II
  • Twitter:@danmullen

But still, still im getting a switching screen between connection screen and home screen, so frustrating... This phone is amazing but when it comes to pc connectivity it really loses from all other manufacturers *sigh* :huh:
Can someone pleasehelp?

1. Make sure you are running the TouchWiz launcher.
2. In the SD settings screen, unmount the external SD card (if you have one).
3. If you are a user of the app SoundHound, delete the SoundHound directory from the internal SD card. It contains a number of cache files that have odd file extensions - these stop Kies form working.

Dan Mullen » http://www.mullen.org.uk
Stunshot - Web Hosting and Development » http://www.stunshot.com
Simply Dial - Cheap International Calls » http://www.simply-dial.co.uk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users