265 replies to this topic

Spike8585

Spike8585

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Devices:Dell Streak
I don't think I would need much more space, but you can pick up a 4GB class 10 off ebay for $30.00.
Would a class 10 chip improve the performance of the streak? I mean "real world" noticeable difference?
If anyone has tested this, please post!
Thanks.

DellStreakHacks

DellStreakHacks

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Very cool!

yes it is....when will you let us know it you succeed or not? I can't wait to upgrade my dell streak

Stephen Hyde

Stephen Hyde

Hardcore

• MoDaCo Gold
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,658 posts
  • Devices:Atrix, Dell Streak
  • Twitter:@dmonsterprod
should make you folks considering changing the internal microsd that you may have problems above 2gb as afaik android doesnt like data partitions larger than 2gb in size (i know this from my own porting work - nothing downloads in market etc on a partition larger than 2gb)

probly would need some edits inside the android source also is what im meaning

Edited by Stephen Hyde, 22 August 2010 - 07:57 PM.

Devices: Dell Streak(O2 MBB), Nokia E63(O2 PAYG), Nokia N900(T-Mobile Contract)| Notion Ink Adam(PixelQi+3G+WiFi | HTC Wildfire | Nexus One
Developing Android/Cyanogenmod for Streak - Please feel free to Donate : GBP Donate | USD Donate
Developing Officially For Notion Ink Adam - Please feel free to Donate: GBP Donate | USD Donate

hyellow

hyellow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Devices:null

should make you folks considering changing the internal microsd that you may have problems above 2gb as afaik android doesnt like data partitions larger than 2gb in size (i know this from my own porting work - nothing downloads in market etc on a partition larger than 2gb)

probly would need some edits inside the android source also is what im meaning

Do you mean that Android will not work with partitions larger then 2gb, or just won't see the files that are larger then 2gb?
I know on desktop pc's (windows) there sometimes are 2gb file limitations etc.

I now have a newly 8gb Class 6 msd and want to give it a try. is it just plug and play or do i need to to partition it like the first few posts mentioned?

and do i need to be in a linux environment to do so? I'm on windows.

Stephen Hyde

Stephen Hyde

Hardcore

• MoDaCo Gold
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,658 posts
cant imagine it'll be plug and play and i mean android has problems whereby it thinks their is no free space if a partition is bigger than 2gb (i am porting android to a device and have had this issue myself even on froyo) android also doesnt support multiple sd mounts so before anyone suggests creating 2 partitions that'll not work either without hacks to android source (having this issue majorly here due to the device im porting having 32gb int memory + microsd).

hopefulyl that helps

feel free to give it a go tho and prove me wrong :huh:. iirc formating the partition as ext2/ext3 *should* work provided dells kernel has support for it

also i would love to know what class the internal microsd is if anyone fancys checking

Edited by Stephen Hyde, 29 August 2010 - 12:37 PM.

Devices: Dell Streak(O2 MBB), Nokia E63(O2 PAYG), Nokia N900(T-Mobile Contract)| Notion Ink Adam(PixelQi+3G+WiFi | HTC Wildfire | Nexus One
Developing Android/Cyanogenmod for Streak - Please feel free to Donate : GBP Donate | USD Donate
Developing Officially For Notion Ink Adam - Please feel free to Donate: GBP Donate | USD Donate

Techneut

Techneut

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Interests:Everything!
  • Devices:Dell Streak 5

cant imagine it'll be plug and play and i mean android has problems whereby it thinks their is no free space if a partition is bigger than 2gb (i am porting android to a device and have had this issue myself even on froyo) android also doesnt support multiple sd mounts so before anyone suggests creating 2 partitions that'll not work either without hacks to android source (having this issue majorly here due to the device im porting having 32gb int memory + microsd).

hopefulyl that helps

feel free to give it a go tho and prove me wrong :huh:. iirc formating the partition as ext2/ext3 *should* work provided dells kernel has support for it

also i would love to know what class the internal microsd is if anyone fancys checking

Somebody else already found out the used card is 4 GB class 4; and only 2 GB of it is used.

Attached File  streakopened3.jpg   1.14MB   79 downloads

Techneut®
Are you the dove or the statue?

Stephen Hyde

Stephen Hyde

Hardcore

• MoDaCo Gold
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,658 posts
sounds like dell have chosen to hope they can use the other half laster

popetodd

popetodd

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts
  • Devices:iPaq HW6945, Dell Streak
I highly doubt there is a 2Gb limit on that card slot, it uses the same controller as the external storage card and that one is 16Gb.

I have a 16Gb class 10 on order, I will install it with 2 partitions, one 2 Gb for the system and one with the rest when it arrives.
I will use a script to mount it as accessible storage ( I have already given the contents of that script earlier in this thread) using Autostart to load it at boot up. That should do it, if you have read this thread you know at this point the only issue we have been having is mounting at boot and I think I have found a bit of software to cover that.

Amdathlonuk

Amdathlonuk

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Interests:1% above base rate
  • Devices:Dell Streak, G1 and Galaxy S!
  • Twitter:@Amdathlonuk
Very interesting......64Gb Dell, here I come! :huh:

Dell Streak 32Gb (unlocked direct from Dell) - rooted but Stock
Dell Streak RED 16Gb (wifes) - Stock
San Francisco OLED (Daughters) - Cyan nightly

Stephen Hyde

Stephen Hyde

Hardcore

• MoDaCo Gold
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,658 posts

I highly doubt there is a 2Gb limit on that card slot, it uses the same controller as the external storage card and that one is 16Gb.

I have a 16Gb class 10 on order, I will install it with 2 partitions, one 2 Gb for the system and one with the rest when it arrives.
I will use a script to mount it as accessible storage ( I have already given the contents of that script earlier in this thread) using Autostart to load it at boot up. That should do it, if you have read this thread you know at this point the only issue we have been having is mounting at boot and I think I have found a bit of software to cover that.

didnt say on the card slot i said on the os. the card slot can likely take 32gb easily just like the ext card slot but the android os seems to have issues(unless dell edited it) with addressing partitions for 'system' and 'data' larger than 2gb

Edited by Stephen Hyde, 31 August 2010 - 09:28 PM.

jamezwarner

jamezwarner

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Miss post

Edited by jamezwarner, 31 August 2010 - 09:46 PM.

Stephen Davidson

Stephen Davidson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
  • Devices:Dell Streak (Telus w/Rebel)
Hello Guys,

So last night I took my Streak apart. Ripped out the original 2GB card (confirmed 2GB) and installed a 16GB Class 10. I created partitions 5 and 6 formating them as ext3 with labels cache and data. The cache partition is 1GB and the data partition is 15GB.

So here is the issue. Android won't mount them during boot. I've tried restoring the OS and still they won't mount.

Now the only thing I didn't do is copy the data from the old card to the new one.

Next I'm going to try deleting the 15GB partition and recreating it as 2GB.

Any other suggestions for how I can get this to work? Oh, and does anyone know how to format partitions as yaffs2?

Thanks

Asphytxtc

Asphytxtc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
  • Devices:Dell Streak 2.1 (8105)
  • Twitter:@asphytxtc

Any other suggestions for how I can get this to work? Oh, and does anyone know how to format partitions as yaffs2?

I'm pretty new to this whole android malarkey but I think the tool you're after can be found here (Yaffs2 Tool)

http://jiggawatt.org...roid/index.html

I don't think you create yaffs2 filesystems in the same way as you "format" an ext3 fs for example.. I think this tool makes an image based on the contents of a directory if that makes sense?

Hope that's at least some help, im certainly following this thread with interest.. good luck! :huh:

Edited by Asphytxtc, 01 September 2010 - 02:54 PM.

spences10

spences10

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  • Devices:DELL Streak, ZTE Blade
  • Twitter:@spences10

Hello Guys,

So last night I took my Streak apart. Ripped out the original 2GB card (confirmed 2GB) and installed a 16GB Class 10. I created partitions 5 and 6 formating them as ext3 with labels cache and data. The cache partition is 1GB and the data partition is 15GB.

So here is the issue. Android won't mount them during boot. I've tried restoring the OS and still they won't mount.

Now the only thing I didn't do is copy the data from the old card to the new one.

Next I'm going to try deleting the 15GB partition and recreating it as 2GB.

Thanks

Great job chap - hope you get youre issues sorted

Imagine having 15gb data partition - you could store the whole android market on there !!

Well not really, but it would feel like it :huh:

I have ORD

Samsung Galaxy Nexus
ROM: CM9 Skankwich
ClockworkMod recovery [of course]

Circle Me
Follow Me

Stephen Davidson

Stephen Davidson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
Quick question,

Can someone post what the output of running the "mount" command looks like from an unmodified 2.1 rom?

Thanks

Stephen Davidson

Stephen Davidson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
Well after 8 hours of wrestling with this damn thing I'm no closer solving it. Every attempt at getting the cache and data partitions to mount automatically with the larger card have failed.

A couple of you in here seemed to indicate that it was working. I've gone through the log files and it indicates there is an error with the size of the internal SD card. The streak then fails over onto the MTDBLOCK7 device (firstboot partition). The device boots and seems fine but nothing is working correctly. I cannot install apps etc.

Sadly I'm going to have to rip it open again and reinstall the original 2GB one. Although maybe I'll try and find a faster Class 10 2GB Card.

Goodluck to anyone still trying.

Stephen Hyde

Stephen Hyde

Hardcore

• MoDaCo Gold
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,658 posts
have you tried a 2gb partition and leaving rest unpartitioned to test

Stephen Davidson

Stephen Davidson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
I actually did a "dd" of the original drive onto the 16gb one to see if that would allow it to work. No change.

Stephen Davidson

Stephen Davidson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
Well I'm back up and running with my 2GB card, but as luck would have it I ran dmesg to my sdcard before I replaced my 16GB internal. I also ran it with the 2GB card and have found the issue with support for the 16GB card.

In the dmesg report it indicates that the 16GB card is being recognized by fdiskcmd as 16MB. It then errors and continues to boot ignoring the new internal card.

For this to work we either need a new fdiskcmd with support for larger drives or a hack to prevent fdiskcmd from reporting the error.

This is way above my level of expertise so we'll just have to wait for the kernel release and go from there.

If you guys have any ideas I'd be happy to try them. I can also provide the logs if anyone is bored and wants something to read :-)

popetodd

popetodd

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts
  • Devices:iPaq HW6945, Dell Streak
Send me the logs!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users