HTC Desire :: Softbank JP stock ROM updates and mods

Guest lenik

Guest lenik

Haven't found it anywhere else on this forum, so here they are -- ROM images for flashing HTC Desire phones to be used with Softbank network in Japan. They contain some subtle modifications, which make them work much better with the SB network than ROM images which do not contain those mods and tweaks -- reception quality is better and battery drain is almost non-existent (my phone loses about 2-3% overnight and easily survives a few days of light/moderate use).

To use these images you will need a rooted phone with ability to flash ROM images from SD card.

Download the file, copy it to the SD card and use Recovery menu to flash.

It's very recommended to perform nandroid backup beforehand.

HTC Desire – Android 2.2 – Froyo

Images based on stock HTC WWE RUU version 2.29.405.5, with only the necessary changes (I’ve tried to change as little as possible to keep the system stable). These images contain WWE (World Wide English) languages and input methods, which is every European language and many more. Japanese is not included, so for Japanese input I use Simeji (can be installed from the Android Market). Radio update is included within the image as well as latest Mms.apk with 100% iPhone-compatible emoji. Also, WiFi Hotspot settings (missing from native SBM images) are enabled -- feel free to turn your phone into wireless hotspot.

HTC_WWE_2.29.405.5_Radio_32.49.00.32U_5.11.05.27-rooted-Softbank.MMS.emoji-wifiHotspot-signed.zip (URL updated)

(MD5: DD2F8513D7203B8B17E64241FB229AA8)

Please, double check your APN settings and your packet plan to avoid unnecessary charges.

Edited by lenik

Guest lenik

This message contains previously released ROMs, which are still good, but a little outdated and will be kept here for historical reasons ;)

HTC Desire – Android 2.1 – Éclair

Radio update is not included. These images contain native IME for kanji input and "keitai-style" keyboard not seen anywhere else. Unfortunately, they also have some missing functionality compared to the WWE versions.

Original stock (unrooted) ROM, not modified in any way.

HTC-Softbank-1.18.762.7-stock-signed.zip

(MD5: 103BF81AC22F23EBD04B8228C0BC1D2F)

Original stock (unrooted) ROM with fixed Mms.apk (thanks to jake), which now allows sending and receiving of MMS messages, still unavailable in "official" software releases.

HTC-Softbank-1.18.762.7-Mms.apk.jakeMod8-signed.zip

(MD5: 356FD88E1EFC53779321A0885F101F0A)

Rooted ROM with busybox and fixed Mms.apk (thanks to jake), which now allows sending and receiving of MMS messages, still unavailable in "official" software releases.

HTC-Softbank-1.18.762.7-rooted-busybox-Mms.apk.jakeMod8-signed.zip

(MD5: 6CCE4BC9BB59FED82859AB2FE70127F6)

Rooted ROM with busybox.

HTC-Softbank-1.18.762.7-rooted-busybox-signed.zip

(MD5: 82D0B9180E3CA232ECE5E9F85C76BD6F)

Rooted ROM with busybox and latest Mms.apk (thanks to jake) + emoji support.

HTC-Softbank-1.18.762.7-rooted-busybox-Mms.apk.jakeMod9-emoji-signed.zip

(MD5: DBBFB95A6404FB3F59712FA138670A54)

Edited by lenik

Guest chibishun

I've rooted mine so I can't make check anymore but it seems like the keyboard and IME is iWnn (someone wrote about it here). ;)

If I flashed with one of this, would it bring back the Softbank logo boot screen?

Guest lenik
I've rooted mine so I can't make check anymore

I don't understand this, you may easily use images I made to flash original software and return back to your current firmware as well. Just don't forget nandroid backup. Actually, the reason I made them was to make it possible to revert back to original unrooted system to be able to get warranty/support.

it seems like the keyboard and IME is iWnn (someone wrote about it here). ;)

I have flashed previous version 1.18.762.5 to my phone and yes, keyboard is "keitai-style", with 12 large buttons grouped like on cellular phone, and it's necessary to press button "2" three times to get letter "c" and so on. There's also the usual qwerty keyboard hidden somewhere (I could get it appear by swiping the trackball sensor), but I could not figure out how to use it properly, because it changes back to "keitai-style" for no apparent reason.

If I flashed with one of this, would it bring back the Softbank logo boot screen?

Softbank logo? No, I don't recall that. It shows traditional "HTC -- quietly brilliant" animation.

Edited by lenik

Guest Kiwizz

So I would need to root my phone using Paul's method, then use the files here to update back to a softbank rom with the modifications? That would allow me to install apps that require root also?

I am wanting to get MMS working on my Softbank Desire, but would also like to use apps2sd and some other programs that require root, openvpn, wireless tethering etc.

Have you done this with your phone?

Thanks!

Guest lenik
So I would need to root my phone using Paul's method, then use the files here to update back to a softbank rom with the modifications? That would allow me to install apps that require root also?

if you get "-rooted-" version of ROM -- yes, you will be able to install apps which require root access.

I am wanting to get MMS working on my Softbank Desire, but would also like to use apps2sd and some other programs that require root, openvpn, wireless tethering etc.

if you want MMS, app2sd and tethering, you'd better off install MCR rom or 1.21-WWE from other thread which has openvpn+tethering+a2sd, and then manually copy Mms.apk to the /system/app. you may also need to change your APN settings and Custom Agent string to access Softbank network properly.

the only reason to use softbank ROMs is if you miss keitai-style keyboard or voice input or something else not included in WWE versions. or, maybe, if you plan to return back your phone for service.

Edit: I have unlocked sim-free Desire from Taiwan, rooted with 1.21-WWE and currently use it w/Softbank. Everything works fine, except 絵文字.

Edited by lenik

Guest Kiwizz
the only reason to use softbank ROMs is if you miss keitai-style keyboard or voice input or something else not included in WWE versions. or, maybe, if you plan to return back your phone for service.

Can't you install the Japanese fonts and the keyboard later too? Does it not matter which rom I use? I was a little worried that if it was not a specific softbank rom, the phone would not function correctly.

Also, would you recommend waiting for HTC to release a froyo update, or install a froyo rom and add sense later?

Thanks!

Guest lenik
Can't you install the Japanese fonts and the keyboard later too?

Some Japanese fonts are included in ALL images, so you will still be able to read kanji even with WWE version. Regarding keyboards, I don't really like the IME included in Softbank ROMs, so I have installed SIMEJI from the market. Actually, it's more a question of personal taste ;)

Does it not matter which rom I use? I was a little worried that if it was not a specific softbank rom, the phone would not function correctly.

Any rom will give you ability to make/accept calls. To be able to browse internet and to accept SMS/MMS, you have to save your APN settings and restore them after rom reflash (or enter them manually) -- there's a nice free "APN backup" utility on the market. Also you would have to change "User Agent" settings in Mms.apk ("Messages") to be able to receive MMS properly. Other than that, I don't see any problem with customized roms.

Also, would you recommend waiting for HTC to release a froyo update, or install a froyo rom and add sense later?

I don't know about Froyo, I expect it might be fun, but battery drain will be higher than with Eclair. I think I'll stick with 2.1 for a while.

BTW, once you root your phone, you may lose ability to install OTA upgrades. Personally, i don't plan to install any SB upgrades, and i'd prefer to be able to receive MMS today, than get some upgrade of unknown quality someday later. Besides, I still can get the OTA file and convert it to flashable upgrade, so it's not a big deal, anyway.

Edited by lenik

Guest lenik
Are you planning on flashing froyo now that it has been released?

I think I may try for a day or two, however, since MMS application works in 1.5~2.1 only, I'm afraid I will have to return back until jake makes froyo-compatible version.

Guest lenik
Also seems the camcorder is not yet working.

i have no plans to shoot video, actually ;)

my priorities are phone calls and MMS with convenient interface. and occasional web-browsing.

Guest chibishun
if you get "-rooted-" version of ROM -- yes, you will be able to install apps which require root access.

if you want MMS, app2sd and tethering, you'd better off install MCR rom or 1.21-WWE from other thread which has openvpn+tethering+a2sd, and then manually copy Mms.apk to the /system/app. you may also need to change your APN settings and Custom Agent string to access Softbank network properly.

Edit: I have unlocked sim-free Desire from Taiwan, rooted with 1.21-WWE and currently use it w/Softbank. Everything works fine, except 絵文字.

actually you can use emoji on desire. here is how.

if you just want to use the keyboard and voice input, why not just extract the apk and put it inside MCR ROM or whatever ROM you want and then resign it?

Edited by chibishun

Guest lenik
actually you can use emoji on desire. here is how.

Thank you very much! I tried and it works. Black and White, but better than nothing ;)

if you just want to use the keyboard and voice input, why not just extract the apk and put it inside MCR ROM or whatever ROM you want

I thought about that, but it appears the keyboard uses not only .apk, but some (compiled) libraries and I am not sure the compile options of these libraries and MCR kernels will match. Also, I like SIMEJI more than IME included in stock SBM images.

Guest Kiwizz

I rooted with MCR 3.1 and have had no issues. I am so happy that I am free from the stupid softbank limitations. Wireless tethering works, 802.11n works, circle battery, mms - now I just need to get apps2sd working.

So Happy!

Guest lenik
any word on when the froyo port will be made softbank mms ready?

Please check jake's page, he has experimental version for Froyo, however I could not confirm whether it works or not yet.

Guest matty84
Please check jake's page, he has experimental version for Froyo, however I could not confirm whether it works or not yet.

Scrap the last post - after a wipe and re-flash all working with experimental mms.apk!

Edited by matty84

Guest lenik

just added "Rooted ROM with busybox and latest Mms.apk (jakeMod9) + emoji support" to the first post.

Edited by lenik

• 2 weeks later...
Guest blogger

Just took my A8181 which I got from HK to Softbank after flashing one of the ROMs above, shop people confused for a bit as IMEI wasn't in their "stock database" but eventually caved in and gave me a sim w/smartphone data plan.

They spent about 30 minutes poking around the phone, comparing it with the plastic model they had in store "hey why it says softbank here and only says HTC on this one??" and had to make a few calls to their boss to confirm. I *think* i heard them mumble "rooted"? once before but I'm not sure the guy was too far.

Anyhow, THANKS to original poster for getting these, I'm sure I would have to get a 2 year contract with a useless phone otherwise, just to use it's sim.

How did you get these by the way?

Sniffing OTA upgrade or something? I Mean original ROM.

Guest lenik
Just took my A8181 which I got from HK to Softbank after flashing one of the ROMs above, shop people confused for a bit as IMEI wasn't in their "stock database" but eventually caved in and gave me a sim w/smartphone data plan.

that was really funny :angry:

How did you get these by the way? Sniffing OTA upgrade or something? I Mean original ROM.

downloaded from http://shipped-roms.com/shipped/Bravo/ and extracted.

Guest blogger
downloaded from

cool, thanks for doing that work.

saved me trouble of figuring out wtf to do.

I do have an issue with the softbank setup and wondering if this is something you've noticed

it keeps asking me to set my timezone in notifications every so often

no matter how many times I choose JST (GMT-9 or whatever), it will later popup same notification again and again.

It's kind of raging me out already.

It happens both if it's on wifi or 3g or whatever, and locale / area has been set properly before...

Guest blogger
Anybody tried the new froyo rom with sense? It has a radio update included, will this still work fine on Softbank?

Try it and find out :angry:

Guest lenik
Anybody tried the new froyo rom with sense? It has a radio update included, will this still work fine on Softbank?

I have no plans to try Froyo yet, since most builds seems to be too unstable to my liking. If the radio update is included and you don't like it -- remove it from the image and resign the .zip file, it should work just fine. You may install radio later or never at all. Also, you may try to install radio beforehand, I don't see any reason why it won't work with Eclair. Of course, I'd recommend to do nandroid backup before any changes, so you may easily go back if anything unexpected happens.

The only possible issue I can imagine is higher battery drain, and this should be fixed by adding proper lines to the build.prop file.

Edited by lenik