HTC Desire :: Softbank JP stock ROM updates and mods

Guest lenik

Guest Kiwizz
I have no plans to try Froyo yet, since most builds seems to be too unstable to my liking. If the radio update is included and you don't like it -- remove it from the image and resign the .zip file, it should work just fine. You may install radio later or never at all. Also, you may try to install radio beforehand, I don't see any reason why it won't work with Eclair. Of course, I'd recommend to do nandroid backup before any changes, so you may easily go back if anything unexpected happens.

The only possible issue I can imagine is higher battery drain, and this should be fixed by adding proper lines to the build.prop file.

When upgrading to froyo, am I able to restore all the apps via tiatnium backup? Or do I not need to wipe the phone to do the update?

Guest lenik
it keeps asking me to set my timezone in notifications every so often

no matter how many times I choose JST (GMT-9 or whatever), it will later popup same notification again and again.

AFAIK, every time your phone lost signal for a while, it tries to reacquire time information and for some unknown reason there's no TZ info included. There's no solution for this problem, unless you move to the area of better reception quality. Native SB firmware has the same problem.

Edited by lenik

Guest tor4me

Edit: I got it working. I had to add the APN settings (found a post in here). Thanks for the good work!

Edited by tor4me

Guest Kiwizz

I upgraded to Froyo - (r5) everything seems real smooth, except the mms doesnt work. Changed it to the JakeMod4 mms and it semi works but fc all the time (it says on his website that it will do that with sense)

Guest 10w40
I upgraded to Froyo - (r5) everything seems real smooth, except the mms doesnt work. Changed it to the JakeMod4 mms and it semi works but fc all the time (it says on his website that it will do that with sense)

well i hope he releases froyo mms.apk that works with sense soon.. or else i wouldn't dare to upgrade to froyo just yet :(

Guest lenik
Changed it to the JakeMod4 mms and it semi works but fc all the time

you're well behind on versions, Mod8-9 were available a few months back, and I believe there's already Froyo version out there.

Guest Kiwizz
you're well behind on versions, Mod8-9 were available a few months back, and I believe there's already Froyo version out there.

I was using the latest froyo version (4) but I downgraded back to 2.1 (with mod9) because of the MMS issues and my bluetooth didn't seem to work with my car navi anymore.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest SQ3.0dotJP

hey guys, total noob. but i'm struggling trying to figure out how to install the experimental Mms into froyo, im rooted. had the phone only a few days, I MISS RECIEVING NAKED PICTURES :D

how to install the experimental Mms into froyo, im rooted.

1. connect the phone with USB and enter recovery using "power off", "power on" + "back button", then choose 'recovery' in the menu

2. run "recovery.bat" or "recovery.sh", you should see green menu after that

3. use 'adb push Mms.apk /system/app' and 'adb shell rm /system/app/Mms.odex' to install software

4. done :D

Guest torwag

Hi,

I observed a huge battery drain in standby of 10%/hour after upgrading to Froyo.

This effect disappears by putting the phone in Airplane mode.

I just wonder wether others observed something similar.

As far as I figured out it might be due to the new radio firmware.

I read that Softbank slightly tweaked there rom for better compatibility. I tried to add some lines in /system/build.prop but it didn't help.

Any ideas or hints are highly appreciated.

• 1 month later...
Guest tonemgub1

Ugh... I just rooted my phone a few days ago, and now softbank released Froyo. Since I have a different recovery rom, I am getting a "failed to verify whole-file signature" error when I try to upgrade. >.<

Is there any way to get Froyo onto the Desire?

It's called HTC-Softbank-1.18.762.7-rooted-busybox-Mms.apk.jakeMod9-emoji-signed.zip but it seems to be for download already. :s

Edited by tonemgub1

Can it do @softbank email?

You can grab the app from the android market to read softbank mail but let me tell you, it sucks, buggy, hard to use, a lot of functions missing, really really bad app.

You are better off using the SMS mod to change the user agent.

using opendesire with the combined APN list, i found that after setting the APN to softbank's smile.world and then changing the user agent in the stock MMS app to 'iphone,' i am able to send and recieve @softbank.ne.jp MMS to other networks. no need to install any special apps from the market.

just out of curiosity, what kind of battery life are people experiencing with their various desires on softbank? i have a rooted phone running opendesire and the best i can seem to get is about 2% drain per hour when the phone is idling. i have heard of other softbank users getting pretty awesome battery life (less than 1% per hour drain on idle) but i've never come close to this.

any tips/tricks would be most welcome!

Guest tonemgub1

I found out that the horrible battery drain is because the 3G settings are modded or something.

Read here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread...1493&page=3

--edit--- I performed the battery mod on the open desire rom, and flashed it. When used in conjunction with SETCPU, I get WAY better battery life!!! :)

Edited by tonemgub1

• 2 weeks later...
Guest iDesire

I am clueless.

I got my phone 2 days ago and immediately updated to Froyo.

Realized I needed MMS, did lots of research.

I managed to get my phone rooted using the Unrevoked process.

I created a backup in nandroid.

I tried to install the latest two roms on this website (first post) and neither of them work for me, and I am not sure why.

Is there any updated way to get my MMS working without having to download the oh-so-crappy app that is listed on Market?

using opendesire with the combined APN list, i found that after setting the APN to softbank's smile.world and then changing the user agent in the stock MMS app to 'iphone,' i am able to send and recieve @softbank.ne.jp MMS to other networks. no need to install any special apps from the market.

i would love to try this except I am not exactly sure what it means/what the process is. could someone spell this out for the new guy please?

-edit- I just downloaded Open Desire and added a couple lines at the end of build.prop which i guess is suppose to help with battery life (last post of this thread)

What is the combined APN list.... or what is APN? how do i change the setting to smile.world ?

How do I change the user agent in the stock MMS to 'iphone'?

Thanks

Edited by iDesire

Guest tonemgub1
I am clueless.

I got my phone 2 days ago and immediately updated to Froyo.

Realized I needed MMS, did lots of research.

I managed to get my phone rooted using the Unrevoked process.

I created a backup in nandroid.

I tried to install the latest two roms on this website (first post) and neither of them work for me, and I am not sure why.

Is there any updated way to get my MMS working without having to download the oh-so-crappy app that is listed on Market?

i would love to try this except I am not exactly sure what it means/what the process is. could someone spell this out for the new guy please?

-edit- I just downloaded Open Desire and added a couple lines at the end of build.prop which i guess is suppose to help with battery life (last post of this thread)

What is the combined APN list.... or what is APN? how do i change the setting to smile.world ?

How do I change the user agent in the stock MMS to 'iphone'?

Thanks

I think if you download the market place app, it should fill in the APN info automatically. But just in case here's the APN thread: APN Info for Softbank.

Also, this is the latest modded Mms.apk for Softbank when using Android 2.2 Froyo: Softbank Mms.apk for Android 2.2 Froyo

If you don't want to re-install the ROM, you can push the Mms.apk to your phone using the Android SDK. Instructions are here: Instructions

Guest iDesire
I think if you download the market place app, it should fill in the APN info automatically. But just in case here's the APN thread: APN Info for Softbank.

Also, this is the latest modded Mms.apk for Softbank when using Android 2.2 Froyo: Softbank Mms.apk for Android 2.2 Froyo

If you don't want to re-install the ROM, you can push the Mms.apk to your phone using the Android SDK. Instructions are here: Instructions

Interesting, I got an error for every link you posted. says they were moved or deleted

Guest tonemgub1
Interesting, I got an error for every link you posted. says they were moved or deleted

Sorry bout that. I didn't check to see if they worked. Here are the 3 links. :)

1) http://android.modaco.com/content/absolute...users-in-japan/

2) http://blog.yo-ki.com/post/Android-22-Froy...ftbank-MMS.aspx

3) http://androidforums.com/eris-all-things-r...t-files-pc.html

Guest iDesire

I finally managed to get that apk installed but i am wondering why i went through all that trouble since i have the same problem as the softbank app, i cant send the MMS. I click send and nothing happens. Receiving is great though.. any ideas?