Help me!!!

Guest DaveGrohl

Guest DaveGrohl

I have just debranded my orange HTC desire using Pauls guide and it worked perfectly. I was busy redownloading some apps from the android market and it popped up with a message saying that there's an update available. So I downloaded it and installed it. When my phone rebooted it says network locked please contact customer care then asks me for a SIM network unlock PIN. Have I messed up my phone or do I just need to get it unlocked?

Edited by DaveGrohl

Guest dnlgee
I have just debranded my orange HTC desire using Pauls guide and it worked perfectly. I was busy redownloading some apps from the android market and it popped up with a message saying that there's an update available. So I downloaded it and installed it. When my phone rebooted it says network locked please contact customer care then asks me for a SIM network unlock PIN. Have I messed up my phone or do I just need to get it unlocked?

Flash an older radio, I think this is the default that comes with Orange stock ROM's [Click]

Guest DaveGrohl
Flash an older radio, I think this is the default that comes with Orange stock ROM's [Click]

Sorry how do I do this I'm a bit of a noob with android

Guest dnlgee
Sorry how do I do this I'm a bit of a noob with android

The exact same way you would flash a rom, save the zip file to your SDCard, boot into recovery and install the .zip from SDCard.

Easiest way to do this is to download ROM Manager from the Market, then open it and install Clockword Recovery, then choose reboot into recovery.

Guest DaveGrohl
The exact same way you would flash a rom, save the zip file to your SDCard, boot into recovery and install the .zip from SDCard.

Easiest way to do this is to download ROM Manager from the Market, then open it and install Clockword Recovery, then choose reboot into recovery.

It take it that my desire needs to be rooted to do this

Guest DaveGrohl
Your device should already be rooted if you followed Paul's method.. Unless I'm mistaken?

No i just made a gold card ;) have I been stupid and dived in head first. I just wanted to get the orange crap off my phone

Guest Dr_Ash

also - flashing a new radio is more dangerous than flashing a ROM, and it actually installs the radio AFTER the flash, whilst rebooting. Don't be alarmed when your desire reboots a couple of times and an icon appears - a box with a little android and an arrow coming out of the box. This is normal, and whatever you do DO NOT REMOVE YOUR BATTERY or press any buttons during this process, it could totally brick your phone.

It does seem like it's your radio as some of the newer radio updates sim-lock orange branded Desires.

Let us know how you get on.

Guest dnlgee

If you made a gold card and flashed the generic rom to debrand the phone then you're rooted..

Follow what I said before and download ROM Manager to reboot into recovery and flash a new radio and you'll be fine.

You learn from your mistakes ;) I removed the Orange crap off my phone straight away..

Guest DaveGrohl
If you made a gold card and flashed the generic rom to debrand the phone then you're rooted..

Follow what I said before and download ROM Manager to reboot into recovery and flash a new radio and you'll be fine.

You learn from your mistakes ;) I removed the Orange crap off my phone straight away..

When i try to reboot into recovery it just says 'An error occurred while atempting to run prveledged commands!':(

Guest EddyOS

A bit of reading would've highlighted this exact issue with debranding an Orange Desire and then allowing the OTA to go through...

Guest DaveGrohl
A bit of reading would've highlighted this exact issue with debranding an Orange Desire and then allowing the OTA to go through...

I realise that now ;)

Guest EddyOS

Shame this happens, only seems to be Orange!!

You'll probably need to root to flash the old radio, not sure if you can do it without root...might be wrong, though

Guest dnlgee

Guessing you don't have root then haha, whoops.

Download the radio image, rename it to update.zip and flash it via recovery the same way you flashed the generic rom. See if that works?

Guest DaveGrohl
Shame this happens, only seems to be Orange!!

You'll probably need to root to flash the old radio, not sure if you can do it without root...might be wrong, though

Bloody Orange I knew I should've gone to T-mobile. Just waiting for the rooting tools to download, I'll let you know how I get on.

Guest DaveGrohl
T-Mo have poor network coverage IMO, plus for me Orange had the better pricing deal, shame about their overbranded software.

You're not kidding I had over 50mb of extra storage after debranding

Guest DaveGrohl

Thank you guys, it seems to be working now.

I take it I should avoid OTA updates now then? lol

Edited by DaveGrohl

Guest james411
Thank you guys, it seems to be working now.

I take it I should avoid OTA updates now then? lol

What did you do to fix it?

I have a debranded desire from Orange and was about to do the OTA update.

Going to hold off for now! ;)

Guest hally83

This has been covered a million times. If you want the "update" then flash the MCR rom, it's based on the update that you'll be getting anyway.,

Guest DaveGrohl
I'm pretty new to this but could you no have jsut paid to unlcok your phone and continue to get the OTA updates?

That's what I thought and I did try getting an unlock code from HTCCODE.com but it doesn't seem like it works properly for the desire so I had to e-mail the admin and request the unlock code, which came a day later.

But I'm very impatient (which is probably what got me in this mess in the first place) and I wanted my phone working. So I rooted my desire then flashed the radio given to me by dnlgee, who was very helpful :lol: and everything seems to be working fine now.

I do have one more question now that I've done all that and unlocked my phone am I ok to recieve OTA updates or will I have to stick to flashing the ROM?